Full moon question?

archer19

How many hunt middle of days during full moon?
Versus going in morning……
Ain't seen squat last 3 mornings…….
Deer in yard feeding 1 hr after dark

killingtime 41

I always thought wind direction and possibly barometric pressure. Having more to do with deer feeding. And wind direction meaning they might not be in a particular area depending on if the wind is in their advantage from whatever direction they leave the bed. It being in yours doesn't really equate to squat. If they are using another area to have the wind in their favor. But don't take that as the rule. Cause I have no way to prove it one way or another. But from a youngster I was always told deer don't feed in the morning cause there out all night.

bowtechgump

I am old school stupid.....but you ever complain about the "spring forward" and "fall back" way of life? Time didn't change, you and I just accepted the fact that someone else made us call it differently. Deer and every other thing living follows the rhythm of the world.......we don't....because we are stupid. If you see a big buck at lunch today and tomorrow he shows up at 12:10PM......he never changed. Look up pendulum painting.....I guess my point is that.....we look for a deeper understanding of things and beat our own goals in the process. A deer is no different than a mouse that gets in your cupboard. The harder you try to catch it.....the harder it is to find.

WTNBowHunter

Sharing some interesting research from the MSU Deer Labs folks. Same data is found from the other deer research labs across the country as well.

megalomaniac

Movement overall has been terrible post rut past 2 days on cell cams... but the 2 4.5yos that were on camera were between 1130a and 1230p on their feet tight to cover feeding.

BSK

I've tried and tried to relate movement to the moon but have never found any repeatable consistency that allowed me to accurately predict movement. Moon phase, moon position, doesn't matter. I'm not not saying someone else hasn't pegged it, just that I haven't. And I've tried.
Same here, at least from a hunter sighting standpoint. The below graph is hunter sighting rates by waxing and waning moon, as well as percent of the moon's surface illuminated. There are some ups and downs, but nothing really pushes the trend more than about 10% above or below average. I don't think most hunters would notice a 10% change in buck sighting rate.

One of these days I'll get around to analyzing something less biased than hunter sightings, such as moon versus trail-cam pictures day versus night.

Attachments

• MoonBuck.jpg
    MoonBuck.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4

lafn96

This is a very small sample size of just a single camera on a scrape about 150 yds from bedding. Put the camera on that scrape Sep 14th

MOON PHASEPHOTOS
NEW MOON12
WAXING CRESCENT18
FIRST QUARTER13
WAXING GIBBOUS20
FULL MOON37
WANING GIBBOUS34
THIRD QUARTER18
WANING CRESCENT11

lafn96

Have you cross referenced dates and time of day?
No, I don't believe that Tactacam's filters offer that option (other than going back and counting manually). Here's what they do show overall for time of day pics

TIMEPHOTOS
12AM - 4AM16
4AM - 8AM40
8AM - 12PM41
12PM - 4PM10
4PM - 8PM36
8PM - 12AM20

Snake

Always hated to have a full moon and get out with the wind howling . Makes me just want to go back home but .... killed a decent eight in Lewis Co once with those conditions. With that said I hid my climber close to where I was going to hunt and still hunted . Went into a deep hollow heading to the next top where I had seen a deer but behind me I heard movement and the buck was chasing a doe so I busted him . I've killed deer during a full moon but sightings are definitely less . Liked to hunt during a new moon though 😉

Bushape

Went this morning and as I got to the gate deer ran off. Get almost to my tree this morning and deer were moving everywhere. Couldn't see them only hear. Eventually bit the bullet and tried to sneak on to my tree only to get busted. Sat in the wind for a few hours without seeing anything else. Nature called so I left a bit Early and headed home. Saw multiple deer along road. Went back to lease to move a stand and chased one buck away at 930 ish and then saw another cruising up the hollow at 11 ish.

skylab413

Killed a decent 10 pt around 11:15 today. I have hunted the past three days…and all the bucks I have seen has been between 10-2. The early morning movement has been nonexistent. This was in Knox County.

Latest posts