Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor

keystonecop

I was reading and found out that Lapua is going to start making. 6.5 Creedmoor brass in 2017
It's gonna have small primer pockets so we can use small rifle primers
Supposedly that adds to accuracy
Didn't give an exact but on adv that it will be available in 2017
Guess it's time to start working OT again.

TNRifleman

Interesting. I guess they realized that even though it would directly compete with the 6.5 Lapua, they better start making brass for the creedmoor since it has picked up such a following.

infoman jr.

jakeway":2f0p7kd6 said:
This really shows the power of marketing. The 260 REM should have been this popular, and then the Creedmoor would never have existed. (I have one of each).
Nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverday

jakeway":x1ngmvd8 said:
This really shows the power of marketing. The 260 REM should have been this popular, and then the Creedmoor would never have existed. (I have one of each).
I also have one of each Rem, 260 and Savage 11/111 ..6.5 creedmoor

Jowens

infoman jr.":1xnugnva said:
jakeway":1xnugnva said:
Nailed it.

The 260 is a great round, BUT using high BC bullets at mag length, rifles that are fast twisted from the factory to shoot the high BC bullets, and factory match ammo that you could potentially set records with are all things the Creed has that the 260 does not.

If you are just shooting deer with them, it makes no difference.

Rockhound

Jowens":kfdvhbrp said:
infoman jr.":kfdvhbrp said:
jakeway":kfdvhbrp said:
Nailed it.

The 260 is a great round, BUT using high BC bullets at mag length, rifles that are fast twisted from the factory to shoot the high BC bullets, and factory match ammo that you could potentially set records with are all things the Creed has that the 260 does not.

If you are just shooting deer with them, it makes no difference.

What they are saying is the creed more should have never existed, had remington marketed their 260 cartridge like hornady has done with the creedmoor. All those things can be found for a 260 as well in a factory rifle, except the ammo

And I don't know all these competition rules and I really don't care, but I see this argument all over the Internet,

factory match ammo that you could potentially set records

I would like to know just what in the hell kind of serious competition shooters are using factory ammo?? Unless there are some classes that require factory ammo, (possibly I have no clue) unless there is, where do people get the idea that it can't get any better?

infoman jr.

35fd0601f120843cbd48fcb4575ba442.png

The "factory ammo" in the top 10 is Prime ammo which isn't exactly bulk pack stuff.

Rockhound

infoman jr.":2jbpvxgg said:
35fd0601f120843cbd48fcb4575ba442.png

The "factory ammo" in the top 10 is Prime ammo which isn't exactly bulk pack stuff.

Exactly, and the next lot number on factory ammo could not shoot worth a crap. And any one shooting top 10 consistently with "factory ammo" are probably sponsored by that ammo co.... so handloading in a factory box...

Jowens

Hornady 6.5 Creed ammo has load data right on the side of the box. H4350 with 140gr bullets.....same load you'll end up hand loading, tho the charge and seating depth my differ from your ultimate accuracy load. If it shoots in your gun, go buy a case of that lot number, though I don't see you having a lot of lot to lot inconsistency.

How many 260 rifles in factory form are an 8 twist.....very few. Remington could have fixed that though.

The 260 in SA mag constraints with high BC bullets eats up powder in the casing, seats the boat tail junction below the neck/shoulder junction. The 260 ain't ever gonna change that. The creed case makes a better SA cartridge for long high bc bullets to fit SA mag box constraints.

If you buy a Tikka CTR or Ruger Precision Rifle, mount a good optic, and shoot factory ammo.....if you are capable then you can go shoot and compete in PRS matches. Do the top 10 use it? Why the hell would they? A custom rifle with hand loads would be my choice if money was no object and I was serious about the game.

Buying a turn key rifle, over the counter, with off the shelf ammo, that has the capability of long range.....the creed has no equal, IMO.

Like I said, for a deer rifle, the difference doesn't amount to anything.

vonb

I "found" the .260 ten years ago by purchasing a closeout Sako 75 in it. It was to me at the time the perfect caliber for my type of hunting. It also appealed to me at the time as a handloader, I could use .243, 7-08, and .308 brass should .260 headstamps not be available. Here I am 10 years later and I wanted a 6.5 caliber for long range shooting. I built a Savage .260 with a 28" Criterion barrel. I'm shooting 140 ELDs out to 1,250 yards and have no problems with the mag constraints everyone likes to mention. I'm seating them at 2.895 and am getting 2825 fps.

After having the investment in dies and investment in the caliber, it made absolutely no sense for me to go 6.5 Creedmoor. If I were to start today in looking for a 6.5, I'd go Creedmoor. Many bought into the Creedmoor due to having reasonably priced, available match ammo. Lapua coming out with Creedmoor brass may add steam in sales. However, I'll stick with the .260 for now. Not enough reason to switch....Still haven't seen long range records broken with the 6.5 Creed. Maybe that will change with Lapua brass.

Rockhound

Jowens":3nqe1q2z said:
Hornady 6.5 Creed ammo has load data right on the side of the box. H4350 with 140gr bullets.....same load you'll end up hand loading, tho the charge and seating depth my differ from your ultimate accuracy load. If it shoots in your gun, go buy a case of that lot number, though I don't see you having a lot of lot to lot inconsistency.

How many 260 rifles in factory form are an 8 twist.....very few. Remington could have fixed that though.

The 260 in SA mag constraints with high BC bullets eats up powder in the casing, seats the boat tail junction below the neck/shoulder junction. The 260 ain't ever gonna change that. The creed case makes a better SA cartridge for long high bc bullets to fit SA mag box constraints.

If you buy a Tikka CTR or Ruger Precision Rifle, mount a good optic, and shoot factory ammo.....if you are capable then you can go shoot and compete in PRS matches. Do the top 10 use it? Why the hell would they? A custom rifle with hand loads would be my choice if money was no object and I was serious about the game.

Buying a turn key rifle, over the counter, with off the shelf ammo, that has the capability of long range.....the creed has no equal, IMO.

Like I said, for a deer rifle, the difference doesn't amount to anything.

Regardless of what hornady loads or puts on the box, it's no guarantee that's what the rifle will like.

260 rifles in an 8 twist, any ruger, Tikka, or savage have the desired 8 twist.

Mag constraints are not a factor in long range shooting, because 99% of the time they are single fed anyway. You need to worry more about being able to seat the bullet out to the lands more than being able to seat them in a magazine.

As far as turnkey rifles the Savage target lines or Tikkas will do it with 6.5 or 260. Ithe can be done with a Savage for sure I've done it. As far as factory ammo I'm sure some of the match ammo from hornady or hsm, carbon, ect it all work for fun or to compete.

Ballistics are nearly identical with an advantage going to the 260. So yes there is an equal or better.

I'm not knocking either one, I have the 260 but had the 6.5 had the following when I bought mine that it does now, I would have bought the creedmoor, but only for brass availability.

6.5 has some nice ammo for long range but it aint breaking records with factory ammo

Jowens

If you're hunting or PRS shooting, mag constraints are a big concern. If you are just having fun at the bench then it doesn't matter. I'm not saying the factory creed match ammo is going to be the most accurate load for your rifle, but most of them seem to shoot it pretty well. Most of the ruger precision rifles I've seen have shot it very well.

The thing about the factory match ammo is its 26 bucks a box. Pretty affordable stuff and seems universally accurate it most guns, kinda like Gold medal match in a 308.

You all have good points, I'm not biased at all, but the merits of the creed can't be overlooked. There is more than marketing or hype.....it's a great short action cartridge.

We can debate it to death, but either one will get it done. It's mostly going to be driver dependent.

Latest posts