Landowner's neighbors must not like me.

treefarmer

I have talked to the landowners all around me and we have a mutual agreement to be able to retrieve a wounded deer. Also two weeks ago I had two of them over for some grilled chicken and a brew at our camp. If things go well make it a point to stop by yearly to talk deer and how the season is going. If you get a bad vibe, look for another place to hunt because a wounded deer doesn't have to run far to be off the 20 acres.

PillsburyDoughboy

treefarmer":2t4u2x9m said:
I have talked to the landowners all around me and we have a mutual agreement to be able to retrieve a wounded deer. Also two weeks ago I had two of them over for some grilled chicken and a brew at our camp. If things go well make it a point to stop by yearly to talk deer and how the season is going. If you get a bad vibe, look for another place to hunt because a wounded deer doesn't have to run far to be off the 20 acres.

Exactly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigAl

Had a similar situation in the city limits once. I killed an 8 pt with the crossbow early in the season. When I got it back to truck GW was waiting. Checked my license and kill tag and was very cordial. I offered written permission to him but he declined, saying I probably wouldn't be sitting out in the open with deer stands on my truck and an 8pt if it didn't have permission. While that went well, eventually later in the season someone stole 4 or 5 of our stands off the property in the middle of the night. I'm sure it was one of the disgruntled neighbors who could no longer hunt there (without permission) since we were there.

megalomaniac

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the neighbors until you meet them first. Introduce yourself, be cordial, and offer to provide assistance if any deer they shoot make it onto your property. Heck, even go so far as to contact them whenever you find a carcass on your property and ask them if they lost a buck recently and offer to give the rack back to them. If you do that, they more than likely will reciprocate they courtesy to you.

Sure, there are some that will still refuse to cooperate, and if so, continue to do as I've suggested above. But if they make it clear that you should not contact them to retrieve a deer shot on the property you have permission to hunt, then honor their request. It's your job to ensure you make a clean, effective kill on an animal WHICH YOU CAN RECOVER. Shoot one right on the property line as it's headed for a fence crossing to the neighbors is a shot you should never have taken in the first place if you don't have permission to cross over the fence to retrieve.

And also, you probably don't know the history of the property you just received permission to hunt. There may have been numerous incidents with poachers/ tresspassers in past years, and the neighbors are doing the landowner a favor by contacting the authorities when unusual activity is going on there.

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
Good info guys! The landowner told me he didn't know which truck I saw drive by and that they should not worry about his property. He knows most of the neighbors so hopefully I can find some contact information. The property hasn't been hunted in years to my knowledge. I have just never ran into this because I've always hunted my family's farm before I moved to Winchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk