Landowner's neighbors must not like me.

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
Just received permission to hunt a new property (20ish acres). Seen deer both trips out. Had a franklin county TWRA agent waiting on me when I got to the car. I think the agent's name was Tommy. I gave him everything I had including an old duck stamp haha. He just said to make sure I have written permission next time after I offered to call the land owner. Hopefully the neighbors will let me retrieve a deer if it crosses the line. Not looking good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
Yeah I'm going to try to find some contact information for them. I told the officer that the neighbor am drive his line the first time I was out there so I assumed it was him. The agent mentioned there were some guys that hunt the neighbors farm. TWRA agent was respective while talking though. He waited for me to finish hunting.

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
I felt like a criminal haha. It was my first dealings with an officer. Hopefully they were just watching out for their neighbors place. I just don't want to cause trouble for the guy letting me hunt there.

PillsburyDoughboy

Well if you have valid permission to hunt there make sure you got written permission then say go F urself to those busy body neighbors. They are never going to be your friends and never give you the time of day or access. They have already called the law on you and will probably do it again, I've been there and done that. No matter how hard you try to get along or be the ultimate sportsman they are never going to be your friend, again., been there done that. Another reason I bought my own place.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scn

Unless the property is posted with the Hunting by Written Permission only signage and paint markings, there is no legal requirement to have written permission from the landowner. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have it to remove any doubt, but it is not a legal requirement.

PillsburyDoughboy

scn":3q54wyx5 said:
Unless the property is posted with the Hunting by Written Permission only signage and paint markings, there is no legal requirement to have written permission from the landowner. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have it to remove any doubt, but it is not a legal requirement.

That's sort of what I was suggesting. Make sure he has all of his I dotted and t crossed especially after being told by the game warden to have written permission then he can tell those nosy neighbors to go d off.

It's been my experience when you get nosy neighbors like that no matter how good of a sportsman approach u try and make it.. They have allready had a bad encounter in the past or have something to hide on their place and nothing you can do or say is going to make it any easier on yourself . There are rare exceptions to the case . I have made those to. But by and large you are dealing with some real assholes or possibly meth cookers / pot growers that don't want you around .

PillsburyDoughboy

I wish u luck with your season but experience has shown me you are fighting a losing battle and should be looking for a better / softer place to hunt

PillsburyDoughboy

I mean what are you ultimately going to do when you kill a deer on your 20 acres and it goes over to another parcel? Go and ask permission on someone that has allready called the law on you ? It's a very inform fortune position to be in .
Been there done that . I was hunting in Ohio where we had 200 acres to hint but there was a 20 acres honey hole that I wanted to hunt that backed up to some real conservationist types that hates hunting. I was warned ahead of time but after hunting 4 days and not seeing any big bucks I wanted to hunt the honey hole . Sure enough at dark o'clock I shot a monster deer . Guy shot it with A 12 gauge on the run . Did the right thing backed out of there went to the property owner we were on and went to the neighbors property to ask for permission to retrieve . Was told under no circumstances were we allowed on the property . Pleaded out case on trying to do the right thing on a wounded animal and and being a responsible sportsman and all and was basically told to go get F.
Been backed up to several properties where I suspect weed or possibly shine was being distilled . Got all sorts of dirty looks. Threats and game warden calls on me when I had permission . So yeah bail while you can and find. A better spot .

PalsPal

Three in a row, and 4 out of 5? Seriously :D ?

BTW Dough, you do realize that kids read these boards, right? Sometimes, my daughter will be in my lap while I am reading. I sure don't want her to ask, "Dad, what does 'get F' or 'go D off' or 'go F urself' mean"?

Now concerning this post, hopefully they were just watching out for the place. Most on here would cry like a girl if they had trespassing problems and a neighbor had seen someone going in and did nothing ;) !

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
I'm hoping so palspal. I plan on talking with them and getting permission in writing just to be covered if I get stopped again. I don't think they're up to no good. The two fields connect between the owners and they were probably worried I will shoot "their" deer. I understanding trespassing problems. I have had plenty of those back home on my family's property where I hunt before I moved.

PalsPal

krazykarl_13":2gdnjkca said:
I'm hoping so palspal. I plan on talking with them and getting permission in writing just to be covered if I get stopped again. I don't think they're up to no good. The two fields connect between the owners and they were probably worried I will shoot "their" deer. I understanding trespassing problems. I have had plenty of those back home on my family's property where I hunt before I moved.

If the property owner where you hunt has a good relationship with the neighbor, they might offer to call them also.

Good time Charlie

krazykarl_13":28mkpivz said:
Yeah I'm going to try to find some contact information for them. I told the officer that the neighbor am drive his line the first time I was out there so I assumed it was him. The agent mentioned there were some guys that hunt the neighbors farm. TWRA agent was respective while talking though. He waited for me to finish hunting.

You are assuming a lot ,give them the benefit of doubt.
They may turn out to be good people.

mountain_man

Don't let someone buffalo you off a property you are allowed to hunt. Just make clean shots so you don't have to worry about long tracking jobs. And if I shoot a deer that does go over on the neighboring property i'm going to get it ive done it many times before. If they catch you. No judge is going to hang you up by you're toes for doing this. It will most likely be dismissed.

hitek7

Good gosh, just try and talk to them like grown people should do. Discuss some hunting if they are into hunting. I am for the most part a good neighbor and have a decent relationship with most of our neighboring property owners/hunters. I will say the first time I talked with a couple of them I thought there was going to be trouble. But, since I was not a total butt about it and tried to talk to them occasionally they came around and now we get along just fine.

You say you only have permission for 20 acres. I am not sure how big of property the "neighbors" have but just use a little common sense. Don't place your stand on the property line facing the other property, this will really put suspicion in their mind...

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
I won't be retrieving a deer without permission regardless. I've been setting up as far from them as possible. I actually saw 5 does yesterday evening that I didn't attempt to shoot because they were close to the line. They could be really nice guys. I have not had the opportunity to see. Just am not having a great first impression. The landowner knows his neighbors so I will see how he wants me to proceed. I just don't plan of getting into trouble over a deer and don't want my tires slashed haha.

chebuck

I have simaler situation wher I got a new peace of property to hunt and the neighbor had a bean field across the crk. The crk was the property line. So set up during bow season about 40yds off crk. Hoping to catch deer comming to the beans but neighbor saw me walking in and proceeded to make laps around the bean field in his side by side after I got up in the tree. Needless to say I haven't hunted that side of it again.

Latest posts