Land Management Skill vs Hunting Skill

Bone Collector

This is not aimed at anyone on here. This is more based off stuff I have seen on FB, and maybe a little bit here in the past.

I have had something on my mind for a while and I hadn't posted it here and I sure as heck won't post it on FB, because it will definitely hurt someone's feelings there and probably start a fight. May hurt some here too, but this group overall is a lot more level headed than some of the morons on FB (some folks are good over there too). I am just now starting to try to do some habitat management on my property. I know some of the folks here consult and I know some have just figured it out on their own. My issue is with people on FB (though I haven't been on too much and haven't seen it the few times I've been on), but I thought I bring up the topic here for discussion. My issue is I have seen people debate things about deer hunting and Hunter A makes a point and Hunter B who we know has a lot of properties to hunt and either through the grace of God, hard work and money, or both, has some really good places to hunt. If Hunter B disagrees with Hunter A's opinion, and Hunter A rebuts Hunter B's argument, then Hunter B says "Let's compare trophies" or "what's the biggest buck you killed". The point hunter B is trying to make is he (always been a guy) has killed bigger and more bigger bucks and therefore is more knowledgeable about hunting… Issue is are they really using hunting skills to kill those deer or are they using habitat management skills to kill most of those deer? I get that you would want to improve your hunting odds by doing habitat work and I aim to do so myself, but in doing so, am I know deer hunting or just managing habitat and shooting (hopefully) higher quality bucks?

I know if you are bow hunting there are circumstances where you may have to use some hunting skills due to the close proximity you have to be to a deer to shoot it, but rifles in shooting houses or what you see on hunting shows where a property is managed to funnel deer to a food plot where you sit in a redneck shooting house on that plot is not hunting skill in my opinion. It is marksmanship skills and the deer are there by design that was implemented through habitat management.

I guess my question is are we still good hunters or are we just becoming good land managers that shoot deer from time to time?

Again this isn't aimed at anyone on here. Just things I think about.

rifle02

The answer lies somewhere in the middle. One of the first rules of deer hunting is hunt where there are some deer! If you have your own property and want to hunt there then to be successful you must have some deer on your property. If your property sucks , from a deer's perspective , you're not likely to find many deer. The answer seems to be to improve the place. But how you hunt them whether or not from shooting houses Etc is another thing.

Lost Lake

I'd guess that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I know this. If a guy is regularly killing older deer ( and usually it's the same few) I'd pay close attention to his methods, regardless of how and where he hunts, but especially if he kills them in a lot of different places.

recurve60#

Its a combo, but to your one sentence...I've learned that my best management tool was getting rid of my bushhog. I dont plant anymore and only bushhog every other year on a rotation. I have deer coming out my ears for the last ten years. Do less has made me a lot of deer and a better hunter as to your topic.

Jcalder

I'm in a similar situation. I have 20 acres I hunt. Pretty limited with the lay of the land. Neighbor has several hundred acres he can hunt. Guess who kills more of the better deer. It's simply because he can move around to where they may be. I'm stuck on my 20 acres. It usually sucks, but I also know I'm not second guessing myself on where I need to be. The one thing I can do and try to do is make my place more attractive. Sometimes it works, usually doesn't.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
All of the above. Every question can be answered "yes".
I was as much an amateur hunter as anyone but have both knowledge gained from a farm life and a love of reading / absorbing information. I took my current job as a property manager (multiple properties including residential, agricultural and recreational 10 years ago. One of my coworkers a recent graduate of misu and a student of Dr. Woods and I had always given him his due. When he would not get his way he would throw out the "let's compare mounts" and in the end that's all he had till he grew up. Amateur hour. Today I manage property for a true environmentalist, a hunter and a businessman all of who are adamant about habitat, conservation, quality of experience and soil improvement. In them and their guests I see every one from legends to folks like myself, I see true hunters, set in on conversations with biologists and environmentalists, I work among row crop farmers, have lunch with everyday guys who can be poor as dirt or worth millions and you may not know which. Shooters, hunters, dirt people (me) or braggart, when the chips are down on opening morning they all wait for their stand or blind assignments from me. I don't need a big trophy room when I help fill theirs. It takes all types, it's a shame some are jerks, I always keep a stand and a blind just for the jerks down at what we call the gar hole! Lol
By the way
Facebook sucks mud move on…

For the record I am privately employed. Not a for hire consultant.

Madbowh

I am leaving more towards hunting/ marksman skills. I know a guy here in Tennessee he brought me to brimstone once and on the way in conversation he says I've never even seen less than an 8pt in here. He is the guy that has pure luck plus his skills are definitely off the charts when I seen his garage the first time it blew my mind how many big deer he has hanging. I AM NOT THAT GUY. Though i feel I possess some good all around skills.

I think for most land management has little to do with it.

1.Passing a buck when you should.
2.controlling yourself when waiting for the right shot or don't take one. (I can be a victim of this occasionally unfortunately)
2.Shooting
3.Scouting thoroughly
4.And then just pure luck right spot right time.

This guy I just talked about says Illinois you better watch your trails in and out, wind scent control everylittle thing. He says in tennesse public or private go hunt don't worry, and practice shooting.

I've not done scent control the past couple years, shot a nice one last year. Had a doe 10yds while on the ground no clue I was there she hung out for almost an hour in the wind. Probably some more I can't think of now.

Good thread im curious to watch the input

Bone Collector

I think my point was lost in all those words. What I am saying is there are deer on private land. Some more than others. There are also deer on Public land. On Private land we seemed more focused on habitat management where as on public land we cannot do that and everyone can hunt there, so it is more or less more hunting skill to get in there and kill a mature buck vs. maybe you set yourself up a honey hole that allows you to kill one or two yearly.

I was going to put this in the OP, but if someone kills a bunch of big deer on public land, I am probably going to listen to them if they are offering up info, but if a guy is offering up info and has these habitat managed lands, then they may have a lot of hunting knowledge, but they may just be shooting big bucks due to where they hunt. In other, words could they do it year in and year out on Public land? probably not. Then I hear those guys talking like they should be respected as a hunting guru, because they shot some big bucks. Not so sure that is the case.

BSK

One of the hardest parts about killing old/big bucks is having old/big bucks to kill. Management can certainly increase the odds and frequency, not to the point of making it "easy" but definitely more likely to close the deal on a good buck.
^^^^
Also this!

BSK

I'm an above-average habitat manager.
I'm a below-average hunter.

My habitat management skills have helped draw more high-end bucks to my personal property. Thankfully, I've killed a couple. But I've NOT killed more top end bucks I knew were using my property than I can count (several dozen, that's for sure).

Draw a lot of nice bucks to a given property and even a below-average hunter will kill one now and then.

Dennis

Rather than get into that kind of argument described in the original post, I find it quicker to just whip it out and directly compare size.

DoubleRidge

I think my point was lost in all those words. What I am saying is there are deer on private land. Some more than others. There are also deer on Public land. On Private land we seemed more focused on habitat management where as on public land we cannot do that and everyone can hunt there, so it is more or less more hunting skill to get in there and kill a mature buck vs. maybe you set yourself up a honey hole that allows you to kill one or two yearly.

I was going to put this in the OP, but if someone kills a bunch of big deer on public land, I am probably going to listen to them if they are offering up info, but if a guy is offering up info and has these habitat managed lands, then they may have a lot of hunting knowledge, but they may just be shooting big bucks due to where they hunt. In other, words could they do it year in and year out on Public land? probably not. Then I hear those guys talking like they should be respected as a hunting guru, because they shot some big bucks. Not so sure that is the case.
If the question is which is harder or takes more raw skill.... killing big mature bucks every year on public land....or killing big mature bucks every year on large pieces of well managed private.....I think everyone would agree that dealing with the challenges public land brings is more difficult.

But to me it doesn't take anything away from someone who is fortunate enough to have private land managed for quality habitat....in many cases land managers get more reward from being a steward of the land verses killing any deer.

And thankfully I don't have Facebook....but on TnDeer I don't see the "let's compare mounts or trophy walls" crowd?... thankful we don't have that attitude here...most folks who post deer pics here get many congratulations!

megalomaniac

I'd guess that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I know this. If a guy is regularly killing older deer ( and usually it's the same few) I'd pay close attention to his methods, regardless of how and where he hunts, but especially if he kills them in a lot of different places.
Yup.

The guys who regularly kill old bucks are doing something different than 90% of the hunters. I always listen to them unless they are paying for them.

squackattack

The land also matters. Best land management in world is still going to do only so much. I automatically think of Iowa vs Florida for deer. I also find management has made me a worse hunter just because I would rather do management than sit in a tree.

Laserman1

The lane management just gets them there. You still got to kill them. A mature buck is a different animal wherever he lives.
I think land management does a lot to get them there. I know guys personally that drive up from Atlanta, or down from Nashville, climb into a blind with no prior scouting ( even using a borrowed rifle) and shoot 140+ deer. It's not their skill level it's the land management and food plots. I've even sat in the blind a day before and saw nothing and the next day a mature deer is killed from there.

webfeet7

I think the right land can definitely turn an average hunter into an above average hunter. I know a couple guys that hunt less than 10 times a year and kill a 140 every year…I don't believe the same people could do it on public or leased land near as easily. Becoming familiar with a property and the way deer move on it contributes a lot to success I believe.