Key attributes of a successful “trophy” hunter

redblood

Right Snake, and 90% of the other hunters likely wouldn't have fun doing it how the others do.

For me, the pain and agony that sometimes happens during a season is my drive. Don't get me wrong, I wuss out a lot. Sometimes I'm in it for the fun and sometimes I take it way to serious. I personally feel that's what makes us hunters, as humans go. It's a desire that sometimes gets unleashed.
I hunt all yr., but i am most powerfully driven from late October till Thanksgiving

BSK

I believe there are many routes to success. And some who are regularly successful at killing old bucks do so through persistence, effort, and going the extra mile. However, I also know highly successful old buck hunters that don't hunt hard at all. They don't have to. They've figure out the most likely scenarios and successfully played the odds. In fact, they have a knack for "guessing right" when it comes to stand placements and which to hunt on which day.

buckbstr_1

You need the land to produce so called trophy bucks (>150").
No wife and kids.
Pretty much a lonely life until hunting season.

BSK

I can only make educated comments from hard data and observations I've made myself. I have no data and have never watched individual public land hunters. I strongly suspect those who consistently kill mature bucks on public land are those who are willing to hike the extra distance or enter the most difficult terrain to get away from the crowds. They also probably hunt hard even in the worst conditions. I would bet persistence is a common aspect of their character.

However, I have had the opportunity to watch and analyze data from "club" hunters. This is often interesting because it is the ultimate test of comparative success. All the hunters are hunting the same property. All the hunters are hunting the same bucks. And often, all of the hunters are hunting the same stands (club stands set up for the members with a percentage moved each year). It all comes down to individual choices be each hunter of which stand to hunt on which day. And as stated previously, some hunters are highly successful in these "collective" systems and some are not. Just looking at the observation/harvest data doesn't tell me why some hunters are so consistently success, just that they have an amazing ability to choose the rights stands on the right days. But watching their behavior when they are NOT hunting seems to show a common thread. Those consistently successful hunters are usually the ones I run into post-hunting season, in the middle of the winter. They are out there post-season scouting; putting it all together. They are mapping rubs and scrapes and looking for patterns. They remind me of football players who, after a game, go over game film with a fine-tooth comb, analyzing all of the successes and failures, trying to figure out their opponent's system. They tend to be highly inquisitive people who cannot stand not knowing "why" or "how" about everything. Basically, the type of people who want to take stuff apart to see how it works. And as stated previously, they seem to be the type of people whos minds have excellent pattern recognition; they see the links between seemingly unrelated factors that others do not.

GOODWIN

First and foremost, the "trophies" have to be there. Second, time spent in the field. Third, patience. Fourth, thinking differently than every other hunter in the woods. Fifth, luck.

DoubleRidge

Very interesting thread.

I'll go with Perseverance : continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition : the action or condition or an instance of persevering : steadfastness.

For the deer hunter that decides they are going to focus only on killing mature bucks ("trophy's")...they need to have perseverance.... because there is going to be ups and downs and difficulties.....to let "good" deer walk in an effort to kill "great" deer is a challenge and can make one question their own sanity....long hours on stand....many all day sits.... boots on the ground in the off-season.
Hunting hard when you don't physically or mentally feel like it....but your driven too go from deep within.... continued effort to achieve something.... to persevere.

As for "luck" or "being lucky".....killing one mature buck....maybe someone gets lucky......but there is much more than luck involved with consistently killing big mature bucks.

Snake

One very important aspect i forgot . Like I said dont claim to be a trophy hunter but have killed my fair share of decent bucks . With that being said a hunter willing to put in the extra effort must think like a buck . Funny nope I'm serious, hunting those pretty woods will temp you but unless its in the rut being a mature buck there is very slim . Look for those thick places a deer could move undetected , woods that looks horrible. Hunted a place once that was a grown up briar patch . Couldn't hardly find a tree to climb , just walking through this place was a chore. Buck sign everywhere, one set not even knowing the place a little rating sequence and I had two bucks on me . I hadn't been there no more than 45 minutes and not much of that was daylight . Killed a big busted up seven point while a big ole six watched me. Sad but I didn't get to hunt that place
anymore only that one time. Looking at it no ordinarily hunter would want to even try to scout it .

AT Hiker

Very interesting thread.

I'll go with Perseverance : continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition : the action or condition or an instance of persevering : steadfastness.

For the deer hunter that decides they are going to focus only on killing mature bucks ("trophy's")...they need to have perseverance.... because there is going to be ups and downs and difficulties.....to let "good" deer walk in an effort to kill "great" deer is a challenge and can make one question their own sanity....long hours on stand....many all day sits.... boots on the ground in the off-season.
Hunting hard when you don't physically or mentally feel like it....but your driven too go from deep within.... continued effort to achieve something.... to persevere.

As for "luck" or "being lucky".....killing one mature buck....maybe someone gets lucky......but there is much more than luck involved with consistently killing big mature bucks.
Thank you, at least you were able to understand the difficult point I was attempting to get across.

I also agree that attribute.

philsanchez76

This thread is awesome. Thx @AT Hiker

I think BSK really nailed it when he said it wasn't necessarily those that hunted the most but those that spent the most time studying deer behavior, scouting and putting all the pieces together.

I think great hunters are simply obsessed with finding deer.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
This will be a no help to anybody, but I lack time, patience, perseverance and money to kill whatever a trophy is! I do have those attributes to give to my family, my church and my community. I love to hunt and love venison and so does my family so I kill what I can in the time I have. Got an old friend from college who is single and has made a lot of money that says leave the deer alone and raise cows to eat. Maybe he's right.

timberjack86

I think I understand what you're asking, imo anyone who can bag a 3.5 year old buck or older on public every 2-3 year is an absolute trophy killer. They have to have the upmost patience, knowledge of the terrain and how deer use it and be highly adaptable to hunting pressure. I myself have kinda lost the thrill of killing a nice buck on Managed property. To me it's not as satisfying as killing a deer everyone has had the opportunity to hunt. Or I just like punishment. :D There's probably more attributes but that's all I can think of right now.

tree_ghost

Echoing previous posts, Self motivation is number one. Without it the game is already lost. Number two is a consistent trophy killer pays attention to details at a much higher level than the average hunter. I'll site the following four widely known trophy hunters as my evidence. All have very fundamentally different approaches to hunting and all are highly successful. The level of thought and detail in the execution is what makes them successful IMO.
1. Dan Infalt
2. John Eberhart
3. Adam Hayes
4. Don Higgins

megalomaniac

I'm in BSKs opinion group... the most consistent successful whitetail hunters have complete understanding of deer behavior and biology. Especially why certain areas are more frequented ny mature bucks, and how they travel from those areas to other areas to feed or look for does.

The checklist they go through in picking a spot is almost subconscious. To others, it appears they are overanalyzing. But to them, their 'gut' feeling is a culmination of fundamentally being able to think like a mature whitetail buck.

Some people are lucky and it comes easy... for others, it takes decades to get there. Most never get it though, they just don't care about the 'why' when it comes to whitetail behavior... they just want to enjoy the hunt and have a good time (nothing at all wrong with that)

BSK

I the most consistent successful whitetail hunters have complete understanding of deer behavior and biology. Especially why certain areas are more frequented ny mature bucks, and how they travel from those areas to other areas to feed or look for does.

The checklist they go through in picking a spot is almost subconscious. To others, it appears they are overanalyzing. But to them, their 'gut' feeling is a culmination of fundamentally being able to think like a mature whitetail buck.
I don't want to downplay the validity of some who are regularly successful through dedication and many long, hard hours in the stand. That is definitely one way to success. As the old saying goes, you can't kill them from your couch.

That said, I don't want aspiring trophy hunters to think that is the ONLY way to success. I know some very successful trophy hunters that don't hunt hard at all. How? They don't have to. They have it figured out. Through meticulous observation they understand the types of habitat and terrain mature bucks prefer. With satellite images and topo maps they can analyze a large area, and pick out the "high odds" locations for mature bucks. A day of boot leather can confirm which potential locations are displaying the right sign. Then, and this is key, they stay out of the area until they see the right combinations of rut timing and weather coming together. And if they kill the buck they're after, it will be during the first 3 or 4 times they hunt him.

This doesn't mean these type of successful trophy hunters don't spend time and effort on being successful, but the vast majority of that effort is spent out of the stand, pre-season and post-season scouting (especially post-season). They often spend a life-time of off-seasons analyzing notes and "putting it all together."

fairchaser

I used to think I was a trophy hunter. I have some nice bucks mounted and killed a fair share of 4-5 year old bucks over the years. I love strategies for mature bucks, running cameras, scouting etc. I practice shooting more than most. But, I've concluded that I'm a mediocre deer hunter. I will not sit all day. I only hunt on nice weather days. I can't go too many trips without seeing deer which is a requirement for killing a trophy. I prefer easy access. I prefer to sit in a pretty spot versus a thick unattractive bramble. I'm not as focused on the stand as I used to be. I don't have to kill a deer to enjoy myself. I hunt a lot but I allow other priorities during deer season too. I'm not a lucky hunter either.

Also and more importantly, because I'm a member of a large club, I can compare myself to other hunters over a period of years. I'm very middle of the pack, maybe lower.

I'm ok with that. I've learned that's it's not a competition. At least not for me anyway.

Latest posts