Key attributes of a successful “trophy” hunter

DoubleRidge

Tnanh & BSK.....I totally get what y'all are saying.....but QDM in it's original format of "quality deer" .... healthy deer....balanced herd....improved habitat..... doesn't do anything to "hurt" deer hunting IMO.....it's what man turns it into with trophy restrictions and unrealistic expectations that turn some people off.

I guess I'm different in some ways....as odd as it sounds....I have fun NOT killing as many deer....I truly enjoy trying to kill that one buck....and I have no problem eating tags.....I enjoy the management of the land and challenging myself to kill only mature bucks....doesn't take any joy out of hunting for me.....I truly enjoy just watching deer and how they act....I do that more now as a "trophy hunter" than I ever did before when I killed multiple deer per year....I've learned more by letting deer walk than I ever did killing the first one that walked by....and I truly enjoy every moment in the woods watching and learning.....and occasionally killing.

BSK

DoubleRidge,

I guess I'm different in some ways....as odd as it sounds....I have fun NOT killing as many deer....I truly enjoy trying to kill that one buck....and I have no problem eating tags.....I enjoy the management of the land and challenging myself to kill only mature bucks....doesn't take any joy out of hunting for me.....I truly enjoy just watching deer and how they act....I do that more now as a "trophy hunter" than I ever did before when I killed multiple deer per year....I've learned more by letting deer walk than I ever did killing the first one that walked by....and I truly enjoy every moment in the woods watching and learning.....and occasionally killing.
And that's why I ended my post with "To each, their own." Basically, manage for what's enjoyable for you. And it sounds like you're really enjoying the results of your management. Well done you! :)

BSK

.....it's what man turns it into with trophy restrictions and unrealistic expectations that turn some people off.
Agree completely. The two most common management problems I see are hunters implementing extreme harvest restrictions before they're ready, and hunters expecting extreme harvest restrictions to produce lots of mature bucks on the meatpole. As I've said on the site many times, growing mature bucks is actually pretty easy. However, killing them is not.

DoubleRidge

DoubleRidge,

And that's why I ended my post with "To each, their own." Basically, manage for what's enjoyable for you. And it sounds like you're really enjoying the results of your management. Well done you! :)

Totally agree..."manage for what's enjoyable for you"....well said.

jag1

I really believe QDM and trophy hunting is hurting deer hunting. It is way more about the thrill of the hunt and having a good time.
^^^^^This^^^^^^
Everybody has "whatever" drives them to hunt and what they consider a good hunt. I can see where what you says takes away the fun for some. For others a mature buck is the fun. Whatever floats your boat as long as it's ethical and legal IMO.
I've enjoyed many of the responses and agree with much.

tnanh

^^^^^This^^^^^^
Everybody has "whatever" drives them to hunt and what they consider a good hunt. I can see where what you says takes away the fun for some. For others a mature buck is the fun. Whatever floats your boat as long as it's ethical and legal IMO.
I've enjoyed many of the responses and agree with much.
I agree with whatever floats your boat.

JCDEERMAN

As I've said on the site many times, growing mature bucks is actually pretty easy. However, killing them is not.
This is so true. It takes a lot to have the knowledge of building the landscape for the highest optimal number of mature bucks available, AND even more so, for that same individual having the cognitive ability to get it done consistently. Being obsessed with it all, I'm still learning and wishing I was better

BSK

Being obsessed with it all, I'm still learning and wishing I was better
I will be the first to admit, I like to kill a buck each year. For me, that's part of the fun. And I start out with the best of intentions, telling myself I'm not killing any buck under 3 1/2. However, by the end of the rut, I start thinking, "That 6-point 2 1/2 year-old would eat real good." ;)

tnanh

Totally agree..."manage for what's enjoyable for you"....well said.
I enjoy everything you have said and agree with you. Especially the to each his own. I don't kill small bucks but would not be ashamed if I did as long as I enjoyed that particular deer. My problem is the " you should have given him another year crowd" or the "I let him walk Crowd" or the people on surrounding leased property saying "we were saving him for a couple of more years crowd." I understand all this but do not agree with it. Let a man be happy with what he killed. As far as it hurting hunting I do think if you practice QDM and take care of the deer it is good for the herd. The only exception may be in cwd zones where a longer an infected buck lives the further he can spread cwd during the rut. I wonder would research support killing your buck limit(2) without age and antler restrictions instead of waiting for them to get older. This may work better than the kill all we can management philosophy now practiced but I am no biologist.

Spurhunter

My problem is the " you should have given him another year crowd" or the "I let him walk Crowd" or the people on surrounding leased property saying "we were saving him for a couple of more years crowd."
My cousin killed a nice 16" wide 9 point a couple years ago and he ran into one of the neighbors as he was hauling the deer back to camp on the gravel road. The neighbor said "Aw man, I see that deer all the time. I could almost feed him out of my hand." My cousin said, "well you won't be feeding him anymore!" 😂

DoubleRidge

I enjoy everything you have said and agree with you. Especially the to each his own. I don't kill small bucks but would not be ashamed if I did as long as I enjoyed that particular deer. My problem is the " you should have given him another year crowd" or the "I let him walk Crowd" or the people on surrounding leased property saying "we were saving him for a couple of more years crowd." I understand all this but do not agree with it. Let a man be happy with what he killed. As far as it hurting hunting I do think if you practice QDM and take care of the deer it is good for the herd. The only exception may be in cwd zones where a longer an infected buck lives the further he can spread cwd during the rut. I wonder would research support killing your buck limit(2) without age and antler restrictions instead of waiting for them to get older. This may work better than the kill all we can management philosophy now practiced but I am no biologist.

I absolutely would not be ashamed of shooting any deer period.....it's nobody's business what deer you kill legally on your property.......and I too can't stand someone who would shame a fellow hunter for killing a deer they are happy with......as far as the CWD management practices.... thankfully I hadn't had to face that situation....yet.....and I dread the day.....but I have hunted some areas out of state that have had CWD for decades and they have a huntable herd with some quality bucks.....so while I understand the measures being taken.....I'm not sure the "kill them all approach" is going to accomplish much....but I'm certainly not a biologist either.

BSK

My problem is the " you should have given him another year crowd" or the "I let him walk Crowd" or the people on surrounding leased property saying "we were saving him for a couple of more years crowd."
When I say that some QDM/Trophy management practices are hurting deer hunting, this is what I'm talking about. Biologically sound management practices taken way to far, and arrogant practitioners of those practices can really take the fun out of hunting.

JCDEERMAN

.....but I have hunted some areas out of state that have had CWD for decades and they have a huntable herd with some quality bucks.
That's what I don't understand. Sorry, as this is a little off topic. For years, I have been going out west for elk and muleys with a bow in one of the highest areas of CWD and I have never seen more animals in my life. The numbers and quality was the best you could ask for. We have never thought twice about the meat either. However, I too dread the day it is introduced to the deer in my area.

JCDEERMAN

I will be the first to admit, I like to kill a buck each year. For me, that's part of the fun. And I start out with the best of intentions, telling myself I'm not killing any buck under 3 1/2. However, by the end of the rut, I start thinking, "That 6-point 2 1/2 year-old would eat real good." ;)
LOL I haven't circled back around to that phase of a hunter yet, but I completely understand. 3.5 or older and I am happy, but have passed up many of them due to inferior racks or not wanting to end my season before the rut. One buck a year for me too and I am completely satisfied and consider it a success. I'd say in a couple years when my daughter is old enough to take out with me, things will change.

DoubleRidge

LOL I haven't circled back around to that phase of a hunter yet, but I completely understand. 3.5 or older and I am happy, but have passed up many of them due to inferior racks or not wanting to end my season before the rut. One buck a year for me too and I am completely satisfied and consider it a success. I'd say in a couple years when my daughter is old enough to take out with me, things will change.

Oh I too will admit I WANT to kill a buck every year....that's the goal......but in years past I felt like I HAD to kill a buck to be successful.....not so much that way now.....enjoying the process.....but I totally agree....when kids are involved.....we gonna shoot something :)

Kirk

I have known some true trophy hunters and I have noticed one trait that each of them possessed. They were thorough. They did their due diligence. They spent as much time watching from a far as they did hunting. They looked for weakness in the target bucks daily routine. They noticed subtle clues most would miss. Then when the time was perfect....not just close...it had to be perfect, they would sneak in and wait on the buck to make an appearance. They might only actively hunt that buck one time in a specific location. If the attempt failed they moved on to another spot and staked it out. Most times the first attempt worked.

DoubleRidge

When I say that some QDM/Trophy management practices are hurting deer hunting, this is what I'm talking about. Biologically sound management practices taken way to far, and arrogant practitioners of those practices can really take the fun out of hunting.

Totally see what your saying..... thankful I hadn't had to experience that environment...... management plan we are working with is on family land with friends that have the same vision and goals.

I guess if I was on a lease that had arrogant leadership I'd have to move on....no doubt that would take the fun out of hunting.

BSK

I guess if I was on a lease that had arrogant leadership I'd have to move on....no doubt that would take the fun out of hunting.
It doesn't even have to be leadership, just arrogant hunters. When another hunter looks at your buck and says, "I would have given that buck another year," they are telling you - not so subtly - two things: 1) I'm a MUCH better hunter than you are; and 2) You just took away a future trophy from ME!

BSK

LOL I haven't circled back around to that phase of a hunter yet, but I completely understand. 3.5 or older and I am happy, but have passed up many of them due to inferior racks or not wanting to end my season before the rut. One buck a year for me too and I am completely satisfied and consider it a success.
The interesting thing is, although I will shoot any buck 3 1/2 or older at the beginning of the rut, and my standards drop towards the end of the rut, I still end up killing a fair number of mature bucks. Why? Because I'm always using mature buck hunting tactics. I hunt the whole season like I'm after a mature buck, and often times, that's the first buck that comes along, even though my standards are much lower. I end up killing a mature buck about 3 out of every 5 years.

Latest posts