Hunter overcrowding and the privatization of access

MidTennFisher

I agree with you but nothing can be done about it. That's the worst thing. When I was a kid I used to hunt in spring hill in 2 spots there's a thousand houses sitting there now. So much so it's moving down towards where I live and land is selling for 20 plus k. So either way it's getting ridiculous no matter who is doing it. They aren't making more of it and it's become in crazy high demand. Wild times at the end of the day. Not only that what's not getting talked about and I hate to bring him up, but seek one and what he is doing. Public land getting ridiculously overcrowded. You will see stupid prices paid for little to no land to hunt on in these neighborhoods and you will see an increase I'm arrows in deer and wounded deer in these Suburban areas. It's coming from all sides.
That's why when these R3 supporting non-profits as well as hunting companies, hunting influencers, and the like keep saying "hunting is conservation" and we need to recruit more hunters to keep funding conservation, I call BS on that. Hunting is consumption. Preserving access is conservation.

Very few individuals in those categories do a thing to preserve access to hunting land. The ones that do are doing so little in that arena compared to the damage they do that it's negligible. Put it this way, they've done a lot more to increase crowding on public land, and increase the leasing of land, than they've done to acquire more public land.

MidTennFisher

The other side if I'm not mistaken aren't we technically on the verge of not keeping up with the current population? Aren't birth rates down? If that's the case then we will have a reset but it's quite a ways down the road.
Don't worry the declining birth rates in America are being replaced with illegal immigrant Mexicans and Africans. But that's for a different thread.

megalomaniac

Don't worry the declining birth rates in America are being replaced with illegal immigrant Mexicans and Africans. But that's for a different thread.
Exactly correct. Birth rates from American citizens are now so low that US population would be in decline. But the decline in birth rates is far surpassed by illegal immigration, so the net result is that the population of America is increasing.

Boll Weevil

1707852251153.png

Source: Migration Policy Institute analysis of US Census Bureau data.

You bring up a very interesting point re: immigrants. With the exception of maybe European immigrants (which has shrunk dramatically) I wonder what norms or regulations related to hunting exist in these nations.

Last edited:

DeerCamp

You know the answer but the prior land ownership is irrelevant.

Access is access. Whether it is publicly controlled land or a private landowner that grants access.
Once it is gone to the highest bidder it is removed from access. Therefore increasing crowding on the available access.
Don't you take that tone with me! Lol

megalomaniac

I thought a good plague might decrease the population and lower land prices...but Covid only increased land prices.
A good plague would reduce land values to almost nothing....

That being said, a 'good' plague (like the bubonic plague back in the 1400s) killed almost 40% of the world's population.... so there's only a 60% chance you would still be alive to get a good deal on land prices 😀

Original strain, alpha, and Delta Covid only had a 1% mortality. Enough to scare the yugo out of everyone, but not high enough to reduce the world's population enough to decrease land prices

MidTennFisher

I thought a good plague might decrease the population and lower land prices...but Covid only increased land prices.
Especially in the Southeast because Covid made millions of people want to leave their mini dictatorship states and flock to the more freedom-minded states.

I can't say I blame them and we'd have promptly done the same thing but it sure sucks for people wanting to buy land, or even less feasible, a house with a bunch of land.

paboom

Not when the govt prints money like it's Monopoly.

Land cost is a big strain on public land. I'm not hurting financially at all and will retire at 55, but I have not been able to buy land like I would like simply due to the rising cost.

OffHand85

And these city folks cars getting better and better fuel mileage, venturing further out to build these glamping sites and container homes driving up the prices on lands, along with the mass exodus.

Latest posts