Successful 2022-23 deer season

exarcherman

I killed three nice bucks this past season, and I'm thankful to the good Lord for sending them my way. I got the last one back from the taxidermist a couple days ago.

Left is with a crossbow, middle is 20 gauge slug gun, right one was with a 7mm-08. The left and middle ones both came from Fort Knox, and the right one is from north Alabama. The middle one gross scored 161 2/8, which is my highest gross score buck I've killed. I've added a few extra pics of the big one, just to show all the character he has.

eg7DFl0.jpg

i4M5zGn.jpg

vtbjZTM.jpg
Great deer,,, try fed premium nosler partition ammo in your 7-08,, in my custom 08, they group 1/2 inch, by far the best of any of the factory loads i tried work great on whitetail too!.. (trying to find factory ammo for all my rifles since they will be passing to grandsons before too long!)

Last edited:

Claims Rep.

That's an awesome year. I'd like to hear the story of the middle one!

I killed the buck on the left (in first pic) the day before, so I slept in while the other guys in our camp went hunting the next morning. That afternoon I went into an area I had hunted once before back in Nov. 2018. Again, I pulled up to where I wanted to go and no one was parked there (probably 50% of the time someone is already nearby). I walked in and climbed where I had planned, again based on having the right wind, as well as having studied topo maps previously. This time I was 30' up. At 4:20pm I hear a deer walking to my right. I looked over in time to see a deer walking behind a massive oak, which blocked the deers view of me. I immediately turned that way and brought my shotgun up, just in case it was a shooter buck. As you can imagine, once he cleared that big oak I quickly determined he was in fact a shooter…. This guy had points going everywhere, and it was clear by the way he was walking that these were "his" woods! He was around 65 yards from me when I shot him with a 20 gauge slug gun, and he went straight to the ground. He lifted his head once, and that was it. At this point I just stopped what I was doing, watched him through the scope for several minutes to make sure he wasn't faking it, and thanked the good Lord for his blessings. While I did do everything right from a hunter perspective, God has to orchestrate this kind of thing.

So I climbed down, get over to him, and am honestly shocked at what I find. He's got tons of mass, a split brow tine on his right side, an extra 15" main beam on his right side, a broke off main beam on his left side… just an incredible buck.

0iGJdZE.jpg

tbadon

That is phenomenal. It is stories like that that reminds us that you never know what you will see when hunting, and we are blessed to be in God's world.

Latest posts