2022 DEER SEASON

C1295

Honestly I don't think you ever truly figure public out. So many wild cards there. For me I try to find sign post season before things green back up. I mark that on On X and revisit throughout the next fall. This year I took a different approach. Intentional looks for fresh sign, poo, rubs, scrapes. The lil 4 pt. I killed yesterday I found a fresh rub Saturday evening while walking out. For years I was afraid to scout during the season. Just get out there. If you fail on a morning hunt, take a different route back to the truck looking for sign for the next hunt. Learn where people tend to go and try to find out how a deer escapes from that pressure. If you want to consistently see deer, go to middle or west Tn. They have way more deer than we do here.
I scouted during the summer after I had found out I had lost my Hunting Spot. But, this year like you said I am going to start as soon as the season is over. Public land is a new world for me and trying to decide which place to go when wears me out! Just a learning process I supposed that you learn from experience.

MUP

I've only gotten to go a handful of times this year, a couple in ML and 3 days worth and and evening sit during rifle, but during that time I've seen several bucks, small and pretty good sized ones, and two does being tended by different bucks as well. It's been a great season so far, but I'm still waiting on "the one" to come thru. :)

Chiflyguy

you got lucky then Sir! haha
Not at all.
I show up dressed in non hunting clothes, shake the landowners hand and introduce myself and if they want to chat, I sit and chat and not be in a hurry.
I hunt the land of a cattle farmer. I told him to let me know when he needs help cuttin hay.
My neighbor who lets me hunt his 16 acres, I always take time out when he's outside to chat and the deer summer sausage I gave him didn't hurt.
I had enough no's in Illinois so rejection is just part of the game.

TNTanner

Fat ole goose egg for this fellar also! Every time I've attempted to go this year I get halted by bad luck!

Snake

Not skunked killed a young 7 point during muzzleloader because the guy that gave me permission and the 7 filled the bill . Been a little selective since seeing a few small bucks one mature but rack was messed up big time waiting on what did that 😂 . Seen deer every sit but one and depressing as it was it was on my property 😔

Speedwell-Hunter

Not at all.
I show up dressed in non hunting clothes, shake the landowners hand and introduce myself and if they want to chat, I sit and chat and not be in a hurry.
I hunt the land of a cattle farmer. I told him to let me know when he needs help cuttin hay.
My neighbor who lets me hunt his 16 acres, I always take time out when he's outside to chat and the deer summer sausage I gave him didn't hurt.
I had enough no's in Illinois so rejection is just part of the game.
Chifl, love your approach to all this!

backyardtndeer

Hope those having bad seasons, that it turns around for you.

Got to watch some pretty good rutting activity here and have seen plenty of deer. Killed a decent buck late morning on the Wednesday before the rifle opener and then a little bigger buck early on the morning of the rifle opener. Haven't been back in the stand but once since. Have seen deer almost every time I have been, only had one sit that I got skunked on. Pretty good season, would be better if the buck i was targeting would show back up, but he went mia at the end of October. Afraid I am hunting a ghost the remainder of the season.

Latest posts