Kansas Archery Opener!

Atchman2

I did not get to go to Kansas last year due to covid. I've been going the last six years I think. In fact they cancelled all out of state turkey hunting last spring.

My in laws live in Northwest Kansas. They are mostly farmers and teachers. Since it has been two years since I've seen them there was much rejoicing! The covid thing has wrecked a lot of lives and ruined a lot of plans and traditions. I am so glad I got to come out. I had my injection several weeks ago and have been feeling fine. I do however have MS, so my body hates me most of the time anyway.

I left Knoxville and flew to Denver. There I caught a shuttle flight to McCook, Nebraska. My in laws picked me up there and we visited more family members. That was pretty cool, but I had shipped my crossbow and needed to put it together and shoot it in. This was not going to happen on Sunday so I decided to spend the day scouting.

The turkeys were not in their usual haunts! I was scared I had came all this way for nothing. In the past there may be two hundred birds on some properties. This year ZERO. However, I kept calling around to my wife's cousins and did some scouting. I found a field that had at least a dozen big toms. I setup the blind in the dark along with my nephew. You see with MS I pretty much have to have a "babysitter" in case I can't function. I'm going to hunt for as long as I can!

So I got up at 5:30 and my nephew and I headed to the blind. I told him "it would be so nice if just ONCE my plan worked out". Sure enough in less than an hour a big Rio Grande turkey came in and attacked our Jake decoy. I had a hard time getting a shot since my nephew had not placed it very well. I had a rear shot and took out his legs. He could still flop with his wings. Since there were other turkeys coming in, I kept calling since my nephew said, "Don't worry about it, he is still there". The next time I turned around he was GONE! He had flopped down into a stinking canyon! We had to walk along the rim to find a place to get down. Sure enough we found him about halfway down and shot him again. Kansas bird number one on the board!

Attachments

• kansas turkey.jpg
    kansas turkey.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Atchman2

We roosted an entire flock of mostly gobblers and jakes! I don't think there was a single hen in the group! Totally weird? Trying to get my brother in law and my nephew a bird. I have switched over to my ancient compound bow from my Barnett Crossbow. Want to give the rascals a chance :)

Weather was HORRIBLE yesterday. Wind gusts of up to 60 mph! Even then I spotted a group and tried to get close but got busted when a herd of mule deer ran through the flock. They most have winded me, I doubt the turkeys would have seen or heard me since I was down in a creek bed. No matter. We did try at my brother in law's natural spring. I had seen turkeys there every time I went by, but alas they were not there that night. The severe cold and wind (plus a little bit of rain) has changed their patterns.

This morning we heard two flocks but they were several hundred yards away. We placed our blind where we shot two the first day, but again the weather caused them to change habits. I know we didn't bust them. They just decided to do something else.

I had to drive around all day looking for turkeys. There were NONE in the usual haunts from years past. Until I happened to drive by one area and there was a large group of gobblers there. I tried to get close. I moved very slowly behind a huge grove of cottonwood trees. There is no way to see through them. By the time I got to where even I could see out, they were gone.

Around 3 I went over and put a ground blind in a place where I had shot birds before. We waited until dark and with a flurry of wings, the stupid turkeys flew up from the high ground above us! In fact they landed not 50 yards from where I was sitting! We waited until it was dark and snuck out. The challenge will be to get back in there in the morning. It is supposed to be windy and cold again. :(

Latest posts