Headed to Kansas this week!

Atchman2

Well I leave Thursday for Northwestern Kansas. There were very few birds there last year, but I was fortunate to kill one on day one. I don't think I saw another one after that. The main reason was the weather I think. The first year I hunted there there were HUNDREDS of turkeys. Whatever is happening here, must be happening there too. They reduced the limit to one single bird.

The good thing is that Nebraska is only 10 minutes away and Eastern Colorado is only about an hour. Going to cost me serious $$$ for a licenses and tags though. The good thing this year is I'm retiring so that means I can come back and hunt deer and turkeys in the fall. Can't wait!

My brother in law sent me a picture from Saturday. The ground was white with snow. I think it will be much better next week though. That area is prone to surprise storms. Two of the years I went there were blizzards. I think perhaps the biggest issue with birds there is prolonged drought. It has been like a desert there recently .

tree_ghost

Well I leave Thursday for Northwestern Kansas. There were very few birds there last year, but I was fortunate to kill one on day one. I don't think I saw another one after that. The main reason was the weather I think. The first year I hunted there there were HUNDREDS of turkeys. Whatever is happening here, must be happening there too. They reduced the limit to one single bird.

The good thing is that Nebraska is only 10 minutes away and Eastern Colorado is only about an hour. Going to cost me serious $$$ for a licenses and tags though. The good thing this year is I'm retiring so that means I can come back and hunt deer and turkeys in the fall. Can't wait!

My brother in law sent me a picture from Saturday. The ground was white with snow. I think it will be much better next week though. That area is prone to surprise storms. Two of the years I went there were blizzards. I think perhaps the biggest issue with birds there is prolonged drought. It has been like a desert there recently .
I'll be in Nebraska and South Dakota in a couple weeks…can't wait! Good luck and keep us posted!

Atchman2

Since I own land in Nebraska I may be able to get a tag that way. I just to get the land parcel number to put on my application. Now I'm not sure if that means my permit is only good for my land? If so that is a total waste of time. My land is just a cow pasture.

When my father in law died, he willed the parcel to my wife. Right now we lease it out for grazing which basically pays for the property taxes.

Andy S.

For Nebraska, if I'm not mistaken, the 10,000 NR turkey tags went on sale in January, so they lasted about 2 months before they sold out. Good info to know for next year, assuming they follow same protocol. Also, this caption should help.

1680098534479.png

Latest posts