Sucking in Kansas

Atchman2

I probably should have hired an outfitter. I have driven over a 100 miles today searching for turkeys and got a fleeting glimpse of ONE turkey. It has been terrible! Normally there is a decent population here, but I am not sure where they went. I have seen hundreds at a time in this area, and now there are none. May have been the drought, but that doesn't explain no turkeys at all.

I swapped to predator hunting today, and sucked at that as well. I saw a coyote while scouting and went back to that spot=nothing. May try at night since that is legal in Kansas. For certain, I am not going to waste my time calling turkeys in the sub-freezing weather when I know there are none around.

Oh well, just may be going home earlier than I thought. Got to see some family anyway.

megalomaniac

Don't feel bad, you are experiencing the norm. Kansas has experienced probably the most dramatic shift in population of any state. There just simply aren't many turkeys in KS any more, esp on public WIHA. Even private is terrible in most of the state. Insane how many birds they had 15 years ago compared to today. There is a reason limit has been dropped all the way to ONE. And good luck just getting that one.

3y ago I had a group of 4 friends that hunted KS public. They spent 3 days there, managed to scratch out one single bird on public. So bad they bailed and headed to SD for the rest of the week long trip. And these were dudes used to turkey hunting in south MS.

Just isn't much fun turkey hunting when there are no turkeys to hunt.

Atchman2

What part of state?
Northwest in Region 1. They still have a two bird limit. It may as well be 50 birds since I can't find any. This area has a huge amount of walk in hunting. I am going to use it for coyote hunting. I have to rejigger my back pack for coyotes instead of turkeys. HUNDREDS of mule deer here! I haven't seen a single pheasant or quail either. I have seen coyotes, so that is what I'm going to hunt.

I keep a .223 varmint gun out here for prairie dogs and coyotes. I brought my "pew pew" gun with the Rattler Thermal on it for night hunting coyotes.

Tried two stands today for coyotes and got nothing. The wind was swirling like crazy which also messes up the sound of the caller.

Atchman2

I found where someone is baiting turkeys. While I can't and won't hunt there, I have permission to hunt on the adjacent property. Going to try and setup there tonight. Maybe I can call them off the other property.

AT Hiker

Northwest in Region 1. They still have a two bird limit. It may as well be 50 birds since I can't find any. This area has a huge amount of walk in hunting. I am going to use it for coyote hunting. I have to rejigger my back pack for coyotes instead of turkeys. HUNDREDS of mule deer here! I haven't seen a single pheasant or quail either. I have seen coyotes, so that is what I'm going to hunt.

I keep a .223 varmint gun out here for prairie dogs and coyotes. I brought my "pew pew" gun with the Rattler Thermal on it for night hunting coyotes.

Tried two stands today for coyotes and got nothing. The wind was swirling like crazy which also messes up the sound of the caller.
I heard that Chris Roe, a biologist and outfitter, cancelled most of his Region 1 turkey hunts this year.

Have you checked out any of those reservoirs?

th88

Today, I got fed up and booked a semi-guided hunt with a local guy. Only $150 per day, which is cheap when compared to others. If it turns out well, I will let you guys know. He is mostly a Mule Deer hunting guide. If this works I will go ahead and make my reservation to hunt those in the fall.
That is super cheap, best of luck!

Kansas is a mystery. A scary mystery. Something significant is going on (likely a variety of factors, that we can speculate on), but no one can put a finger on exactly what it is. Just the magnitude of the population decline is terrifying.

tellico4x4

He is mostly a Mule Deer hunting guide. If this works I will go ahead and make my reservation to hunt those in the fall.
Best that I remember, it's a pretty good trick for a NR to get a Kansas mule deer tag. Think you have to draw a whitetail tag first, then apply for a mule deer at additional cost. May have changed since I hunted out there & I only hunted whitetail.

Atchman2

Best that I remember, it's a pretty good trick for a NR to get a Kansas mule deer tag. Think you have to draw a whitetail tag first, then apply for a mule deer at additional cost. May have changed since I hunted out there & I only hunted whitetail.
This place is LOADED with Mule deer! I have counted over 70 per day in a really small area!

Huntaholic

Kansas has been on a downhill slide for at least 10 years now. Almost 15 actually. Im just thankful that I was able to be in on several states back when it was actually worth going. KS, NE, TN, KY, all used to be LOADED with birds, now theres not enough to even warrant having a season honestly.

Latest posts