Archery Longbeards

Jbirdtitan

I am considering trying to kill a Turkey this spring with my crossbow. Any advice on a broadhead that will work with a crossbow bolt? Should I just use the same broadheads I would use for deer hunting or other big game?

Wrangler95

Ive shot 3 gobblers with my crossbow but only recovered one!!I shot these birds with a fixed blade broadheads,dont make that mistake,use a 2 inch mechanical head or NAP makes a blunt tipped head with mechanical blades.This broadhead will stay in the bird so it wont flyoff to never be found!Hit the bird where the wing is connected to the body and it will anchor him,good luck!

Harold Money jr

I've killed 3 and lost 1 with a bow. The one I lost was shot sideways through the breast where you'd think you should shoot one without knowing where.
The other 3 were shot straight in the center walking toward and straight away. I broke their backs and they went down fast. Their legs don't work when the backbone is broke.

Southern Sportsman

I don't mean this to sound derisive, I promise. But why do you want to shoot one with a crossbow in the spring? I get shooting a fall turkey with one if that's what you are deer hunting with, but why in the spring when you're exclusively turkey hunting? The range is similar to a shotgun. The shooting process (hold, aim, shoot) is essentially the same as with a shotgun. The x-bow is quiet, which is a plus, but a b*tch to lug around. Otherwise, the only practical difference I can think of is that the x-bow is far more likely to result in a wounded/lost turkey.

@fulldraw

Aim about 2" above where the leg enters the body. On a broadside turkey it's about the middle of the line between feathers. See yellow dot in pic. The only other shot that's highly efficient is the Texas bullseye. I've killed many gobblers with the bow and these two shots are the best to take.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 11

@fulldraw

Hit em high, watch em die…. Hit em low and watch em go.
So not true. Sorry. I've hit one just above middle and watched it walk off. Killed it two weeks later with my broadhead hole through him. Hit them low and usually you break the hip or leg and they are retrievable. Have to stay in line with the leg.

Jbirdtitan

Thanks for the advice, I know the anatomy and am an experienced hunter so the most important thing for me is hitting the spot I am aiming. I will do some broadhead research and let y'all know what I end up purchasing. I normally use a fixed head broadhead and have never had issues losing a deer with this particular broadhead. Turkeys are a different animal. I will probably try for one with the crossbow this season and maybe the compound next season.

Jbirdtitan

I don't mean this to sound derisive, I promise. But why do you want to shoot one with a crossbow in the spring? I get shooting a fall turkey with one if that's what you are deer hunting with, but why in the spring when you're exclusively turkey hunting? The range is similar to a shotgun. The shooting process (hold, aim, shoot) is essentially the same as with a shotgun. The x-bow is quiet, which is a plus, but a b*tch to lug around. Otherwise, the only practical difference I can think of is that the x-bow is far more likely to result in a wounded/lost turkey.
I mainly want to try something new. Same as the guy that uses traditional archery equipment for deer/big game hunting. FYI- My range is 20 and under for turkey if I have archery equipment so it is definitely more of a challenge in my case. Thanks for the comment and nice buck in your profile pic!

MidTennFisher

I did this in 2018 and my conclusion was this - turkey hunting is a shotgun sport. 😅

But using a crossbow does make it easier since you don't have to get away with any more movement than you would with a shotgun.

My setup was a compound bow and I don't like hunting in blinds so I was sitting against cover like if I was shotgunning. But I had to have a bit more open areas that I could shoot an arrow through so I was getting spotted a lot and it got frustrating.

Eventually I caved and used a decoy, a hen. One came in strutting and as he turned his back to me in full strut I gave him the old Texas heart shot and it worked! That's the perfect scenario because his sight of you is fully blocked. I shot it at like 7 yds.

Good luck with it. I did it that one season just because, like you said, trying something new to see if I could do it. I have never attempted it since then and don't think I would again.

Iglow

Over the years I shot 1 hen in bow season back when and hit at the base of the neck, she jumped up and flipped and was done, the other 3 were 2 gobblers and a bearded hen all hit about the same way and they just wing beat and flopped around. I've been real lucky.

Don'tDrinkTinks

So not true. Sorry. I've hit one just above middle and watched it walk off. Killed it two weeks later with my broadhead hole through him. Hit them low and usually you break the hip or leg and they are retrievable. Have to stay in line with the leg.
I killed one last year with my bow. 2 blade rage right above the hips. Flop city.

megalomaniac

Killed 2 that someone else had shot thru the breast earlier with a broadhead. I lost about a quarter of the breast meat due to slimy green discoloration.

Killed another 3 with .22 rounds in their breast. Didn't lose much meat on those.