20 gauge longbeards consistency?

woodsman04

Those that have tried the 20 gauge longbeards, do you have trouble with them hitting consistent?

I tried to dial my scope in with them yesterday, and at 35-40 yards they never hit the same spot, as far as center of pattern. I had my gun in a vice, so I don't think I was the issue.

I dialed it in with bird shot, shot a longbeard at 20 yards, was good, moved to 30 looked good, moved to 40, looked good. Tried another at 40 and it was off a bit. Adjusted. Next shot off a bit, I shot 13 shells I think? They were hitting all over the place.

Every shot was not in the same place, they probably all would have killed a turkey at 30-35 yards but most of the time it would not be centered.

I'm thinking it's the shells.

Shooting at a big sheet of paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodsman04

Southern Sportsman":3bwalayc said:
What kind of scope? Did you double check to make sure mounts etc. were tight?

I think they are tight, I've checked. Although they could not be and I just can't tell.

It's a tru glo something, not a real scope but a red dot. don't remember what it was called. It cost about 80$.

I have a friend that says his longbeards did the same thing.

Andy S.

FWIW, the majority of the feedback I have received, read and heard on 20G LBs has been less than ideal. The 12G shells seem to be legit in most setups, but the 20G patterns I have personally witnessed left a lot to be desired. My .02

Rockhound

Andy S.":1be7rbvp said:
FWIW, the majority of the feedback I have received, read and heard on 20G LBs has been less than ideal. The 12G shells seem to be legit in most setups, but the 20G patterns I have personally witnessed left a lot to be desired. My .02

Ive got 2 boxes of 5s they done 140s in the 10 at 40 yards I've been very impressed with them

woodsman04

I'm extremely impressed with pattern density, I wouldn't be hesitant to shoot one at 40-45 yards. It's POI consistency is my issue.
It could be the gun or sights or even me, but I'm leaning the shells right now.

Rockhound

Andy S.":2znxaipu said:
^^^By far the best I've heard. What is the coverage like outside the 10"? What choke and constriction?

Honestly I can't remember as I have deleted the pattern pics, it is a stoeger m3020 with factory turkey choke

Rockhound

Rockhound":357rlj0q said:
Andy S.":357rlj0q said:
^^^By far the best I've heard. What is the coverage like outside the 10"? What choke and constriction?

Honestly I can't remember as I have deleted the pattern pics, it is a stoeger m3020 with factory turkey choke
And that was supposed to have said 130s not 140s

Mid-Tenn

I had a brand new Tru Glo 30mm red dot that was in that price range that wouldn't hold zero. Every shot was causing the reticle to shift.
This was on my daughter's gun with the Longbeard #5's
I wound up replacing the optics and haven't had anymore issues.

Latest posts