How many only hunt turkeys with archery?

Atchman2

One of my friends got me into hunting turkeys with archery only. In fact he has convinced my wife's home town (which is VERY small) that it is the most sporting way to hunt them! You can look him up in the NWTF book, I think he has like 10 Slams now! His name is John Sloan. He taught me everything I know about turkey hunting.

Regardless, I really only have a desire to hunt them with a bow or crossbow now. I just love to call them in close enough to use the bow. Not a snob about it, just what I enjoy doing.

How many of you hunt with bows and crossbows for them? The crossbow isn't actually too bad for traditional "run and gun" hunting. I have sat on the ground in a leafy suit a bunch of times.

Andy S.

As much as I love archery deer hunting and turkey hunting in general, I have never had the desire to turkey hunt with a bow. Question of clarification: are you turkey hunting with a bow mainly on public lands like Land Between the Lakes, or inside populated urban areas? The mention of "wife's small hometown" is what triggered that thought and my question.

Atchman2

As much as I love archery deer hunting and turkey hunting in general, I have never had the desire to turkey hunt with a bow. Question of clarification: are you turkey hunting with a bow mainly on public lands like Land Between the Lakes, or inside populated urban areas? The mention of "wife's small hometown" is what triggered that thought and my question.
No I mostly hunt in Kansas where my wife is from I have never hunted public land for turkeys I have a place in Anderson County TN that I hunt on private land.

Andy S.

^^^ Interesting. Have you noticed any difference in success rates with archery tackle when you compare effort and time afield in Kansas (Eastern/Rio/Hybrid) when compared to Tennessee (Eastern)?

Atchman2

^^^ Interesting. Have you noticed any difference in success rates with archery tackle when you compare effort and time afield in Kansas (Eastern/Rio/Hybrid) when compared to Tennessee (Eastern)?
I have limited out (two birds) the last two times I've went. You just have to be way more selective with shots. Yes, I do use a blind so I can cover up the movement of my bow, and because I try and film my hunts. Sometimes I will put the POV camera out in likely areas.

The last time I went out there I just mounted the camera on my crossbow and wore a leafy suit. I still fear that they see my camera as it isn't that subdued.

I didn't get to actually hunt turkeys last year due to too many obligations. My fear this year is the drop in population. You used to see hundreds of turkeys at a time out there.

megalomaniac

Tried it once, will never do it again. Hunting traditionally with a bow is almost impossible. Never cussed so much my entire life. Just about impossible to call in a bird when he is looking for you, come to full draw, and be able to release an arrow. Prob be easy as heck if you used a blind and decoys, but I'd rather pull out all my fingernails than sit in a blind waiting on a turkey to come in.

Fun factors to me....
#1 shooting one in the head
#2 fooling one to coming into shotgun range with my call
#3 using the terrain and cover to outsmart his senses

Latest posts