Is it common to hunt turkeys from a stand?

Swampster

I ask because I have seen two ladder stands recently while hiking in Natchez Trace. One was right on a marked, designated hiking trail, which I wouldn't think would not be a good spot, though I have seen turkeys in that area. I saw another that was there last year, though I don't know if it was set up again or remained there from then.

Swampster

Not common and not smart. But nothing would surprise me anymore.

The stands are probably left from deer seasons past.
The one right on the trail was not - I've hiked past there three times this year. It was right on the trail so I couldn't have missed it. If I walked a big spiral around it I would probably find a camera and/or corn.

Omega

Ok, not a turkey hunter, but I've seen how they are hunted, so would think it's a game of pursuit, but what is the reason for stands being illegal for turkey? Location/Permission I get but I've seen plenty of turkey while in my stand and have actually seen them "scroll the road" which I found very interesting seeing that I was at Ft Campbell at the time. I could have easily taken a few from the stand had I had the right weapon.

Southern Sportsman

It's illegal in most states i reckon . I know for sure it is in Fl & here in Bama
I've never heard of or seen a law that actually prohibits it. And I don't know why such a law would be needed. Tree stands work well for deer, largely because they don't deal with predators killing them from above so they don't look up a lot. Turkeys, however, deal with arial predators from the day they hatch. They pay attention to what's above them. There have been several times I've had turkeys pass under me while deer hunting. Even while bow hunting without orange, sitting stone still, they'll pick you off. It's just not much of an advantage. An enclosed box stand, sure, but that's no different that a pop-up tent. I don't like pop-up tents, but I can't rationalize a legal distinction between hunting from an enclosed structure on the ground vs. an enclosed structure 10 ft off the ground.

Chickenrig

I've never heard of or seen a law that actually prohibits it. And I don't know why such a law would be needed. Tree stands work well for deer, largely because they don't deal with predators killing them from above so they don't look up a lot. Turkeys, however, deal with arial predators from the day they hatch. They pay attention to what's above them. There have been several times I've had turkeys pass under me while deer hunting. Even while bow hunting without orange, sitting stone still, they'll pick you off. It's just not much of an advantage. An enclosed box stand, sure, but that's no different that a pop-up tent. I don't like pop-up tents, but I can't rationalize a legal distinction between hunting from an enclosed structure on the ground vs. an enclosed structure 10 ft off the ground.
Here it is in the regs for Bama

Attachments

• 69E62330-E6E2-41C9-8892-5576210629E3.jpeg
    69E62330-E6E2-41C9-8892-5576210629E3.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 9

Madbowh

Anytime I've come close to getting a turkey from a tree during bow season they bust me. I've had plenty of turkeys in bow range while on the ground. I'm thinking our silhouette gives us away in a tree. Being on the ground or a blind is the only way imo

Southern Sportsman

I know it's not common, but what's not smart about it? I've got a ladder stand with boards and netting around it on private land. I've sat in it a couple times for evening hunts. Mainly listening and watching for where they're roosting.
As I stated above:

"Tree stands work well for deer, largely because they don't deal with predators killing them from above so they don't look up a lot. Turkeys, however, deal with arial predators from the day they hatch. They pay attention to what's above them. There have been several times I've had turkeys pass under me while deer hunting. Even while bow hunting without orange, sitting stone still, they'll pick you off. It's just not much of an advantage."

Joe2Kool

As I stated above:

"Tree stands work well for deer, largely because they don't deal with predators killing them from above so they don't look up a lot. Turkeys, however, deal with arial predators from the day they hatch. They pay attention to what's above them. There have been several times I've had turkeys pass under me while deer hunting. Even while bow hunting without orange, sitting stone still, they'll pick you off. It's just not much of an advantage."
Good point. I thought "not smart" was implying more like unsafe.

Although they bust me on the ground when I thought I had done a good job covering up. And sometimes I feel like I'm sitting in the open and they don't bust me!

Since my earlier post, I checked and didn't see anything about it in the TWRA regulations.

Harold Money jr

Here's my experience with turkeys while in a tree stand. I've had multiple hens and poults walk directly under me during deer season when I wasn't calling. One year I was hunting a turkey roosting area for deer and decided to call sporadically to pass the time but more to see if deer would be more relaxed thinking turkeys were still in the tree. Every turkey that came through after hearing the call busted me from a LONG ways off and flew out of there like shot from a gun. I would hear em coming and make it a point to not move a muscle. If you're gonna do it, I'd be quiet.

Latest posts