Is he hit? (video)

Andy S.

I agree, for sure hit, but I am very skeptical of whether it was a fatal hit. My gut feeling tells me is was not. Best of luck in your efforts recovering him, or possibly seeing him again in the near future and getting a second chance.

woodsman87

Definately broke the front leg. Looks right below the vitals but maybe a fragment of bone or bullet somehow got the heart. Good luck to and your son!

CAW

Thanks for all the input guys. We just got back a few minutes ago. We looked hard for about 5 hours and did not find him. We jumped a big buck that looked pretty healthy as he ran away, so we are not sure if that was him or not. If it was, he should have a good chance of surviving.

I was able to slow the footage down frame by frame on my 27" imac and he was definitely hit in the leg. Not sure exactly where, but it looks like it was just about as high as you can get without getting into the vitals. My son has killed a pile of deer and this one is the first deer he has lost. It is also his biggest. I think he was just a little rattled and probably jerked the trigger. Whatever the reason, he made a poor shot. When he gets home from school, I will talk with him about it and let him know that it happens sometimes and hopefully it will be a teachable moment for him.

It sucks. I have a lot of trail camera pics and videos of this buck and it was one I have been after since the season started. I finally figured out what he was doing and the plan worked perfectly yesterday, all except for the end result. Hopefully he will survive and we will catch up with him later down the road.

Thanks again for chiming in.

LanceS4803

Non-fatal hit, broken bone.
Unless he bleeds out (hit of the brachial artery), that wound will seal over. That hit was so high up and total, he can't put any pressure on the leg, nothing to support it.
Hate to say it, but he will likely starve or succumb to coyotes.

RiverBuck10

102 said:
I am not guessing here, I am certain I see the right front leg swing out and away in an abnormal motion as the deer pivots to run off. That leg is destroyed.

Take up the trail carefully. If you have any idea which way the deer will funnel, you might put a stander near the escape route as you take up the trail.

He might recover, might not.

Good looking buck, good luck!

X2 For sure!!

wayne

Hit...right front leg

Shotdeer.png

Treestand Troubadour

definitely blew its leg out, hopefully it will heal, ive seen several pics of tripods that was healed up, deer are tough critters ive seen deer thats been shot by rages that healed up, good thing you had the video or you wouldnt know what had happened

backwoods7

Hes hit. Im not gonna say its fatal, it looks to me like he just got the leg, but the saveing grace is if it opend up the chest any. The reason i say this is i had it happen to me befor.Bullet hit low right where leg meets lowest portion of chest and opend it up but didnt penatrate any virals. But upon tracking amd putting a finisher in its neck i saw where the insides were comeing out the opening. Liiked like a open zipper where the bullet traveld across. Id say your chances are 50/50 of finding it. Good luck and nice deer.