Hunter overcrowding and the privatization of access

kaizen leader

They could also cover some in the woods pooping etiquette. #1 stop eating crap that causes you to poop in the woods. #2 poop before you go #3 don't poop where you park or on the walk-in trail and throw your baby wipes in the pile...for goodness sakes go find a tree and kick some leaves over it.
😂

BSK

Litter is cultural- in other states I've hunted, litter isn't a thing really. Hyper-urbanized people seem much more sensitive to garbage than rural folks for whatever reason. Maybe it's because we tend to take it for granted and voluntarily devalue our natural resources?
I bash my childhood state of California all the time, but they did a few thinks right (back in the day). When I move from the suburbs of San Francisco to southern KY in 1976, I was horrified by the litter in KY, especially rural KY. In CA, I had never seen litter. No one would even think about throwing something out their car window or dumping trash in the woods. Got to the South and found out littering is a competition sport. Never seen anything like it and still don't understand it.

MidTennFisher

I bash my childhood state of California all the time, but they did a few thinks right (back in the day). When I move from the suburbs of San Francisco to southern KY in 1976, I was horrified by the litter in KY, especially rural KY. In CA, I had never seen litter. No one would even think about throwing something out their car window or dumping trash in the woods. Got to the South and found out littering is a competition sport. Never seen anything like it and still don't understand it.
Well to be fair now a days most of California sidewalks are covered in poop and drug needles.

kaizen leader

Same for me coming from Wisc over 40 years ago. Write to gov Lee. Challenge him.

Andy S.

I have not taken time to read through all of the posts thus far, but I can guarantee everyone that if I were afforded the opportunity (written permission, access fee, etc) and access to hunt on any private land, I would be honored, treat the land better than the owner, abide by all rules and regulations, and look for ways to "leave it better than I found it". As a starting point, I would like to see private access afforded to kids in an effort to grow individuals with a love and passion for hunting and the outdoors. There are literally thousands of acres of locked up land behind gates that would appeal to kids, especially those new to the sport. This premium access would afford a grand opportunity for these new hunters. As much as I love hunting, and seeking out new spots (private/public), my preferred style (find the sign, walk in 20-60 minutes across all landscapes, with a climber and backpack, and climb a tree) is not conducive to a new hunter, much less a kid. I have had the good fortune of a FEW trusting and selfless individuals grant me permission to hunt their private land over the years and I try to do everything asked of me and then some to stay in good graces with them. For me, that access, experience afield and memories made is invaluable. You simply cannot put a price on it. My .02

mike243

Ignorance has nothing to do with littering, It's a lack of respect for anything and everyone. Turn your back on your friends and bet they throw something down, you just think you changed them lol

DeerCamp

They could also cover some in the woods pooping etiquette. #1 stop eating crap that causes you to poop in the woods. #2 poop before you go #3 don't poop where you park or on the walk-in trail and throw your baby wipes in the pile...for goodness sakes go find a tree and kick some leaves over it.
1707248177289.png

BSK

There's land around me selling for 20 to 25 thousand dollar an acre for raw land without a bat of an eye.
When I hear these land prices, it just boggles my mind. You can still buy large chunks of land in Humphreys County for under $2,000/acre. I see a large (2,100 acres) property I know very well (I mapped it out back when it had just been logged about 20 years ago) and not far from my place listed at around $1,700/acre.

I even see a 222-acre property listed at $2,800/acre.

deerhunter10

When I hear these land prices, it just boggles my mind. You can still buy large chunks of land in Humphreys County for under $2,000/acre. I see a large (2,100 acres) property I know very well (I mapped it out back when it had just been logged about 20 years ago) and not far from my place listed at around $1,700/acre.

I even see a 222-acre property listed at $2,800/acre.
It was not but about 5 to 7 years ago it was 2 to 3k crazy how fast it happened. And our land around here is nothing special just in a good location is all very rocky big rocks.

BSK

It was not but about 5 to 7 years ago it was 2 to 3k crazy how fast it happened. And our land around here is nothing special just in a good location is all very rocky big rocks.
There's even a 1,205-acre parcel ON THE LAKE at only $3,500/acre. A huger frontage on KY Lake? That's worth a mint to a developer! And all three properties mentioned are highly inflated prices because they're listed on Mossy Oak Properties website.

Antler Daddy

There's even a 1,205-acre parcel ON THE LAKE at only $3,500/acre. A huger frontage on KY Lake? That's worth a mint to a developer! And all three properties mentioned are highly inflated prices because they're listed on Mossy Oak Properties website.
Overpriced or not...these are properties that TWRA or that dang foundation should be buying. Why do hunters not have the option of buying a "conservation stamp" or something when buying their license??? Only 5000 hunters adding on a $20 "buy land stamp" would be $100k a year. They give the option of rounding up for hunters for the hungry. They won't be feeding any hungry when all the land is gone.

Nothing is being done...that is the worst part. It's criminal. Wildlife commission is worse than Congress. Prove me wrong.

MickThompson

Overpriced or not...these are properties that TWRA or that dang foundation should be buying. Why do hunters not have the option of buying a "conservation stamp" or something when buying their license??? Only 5000 hunters adding on a $20 "buy land stamp" would be $100k a year. They give the option of rounding up for hunters for the hungry. They won't be feeding any hungry when all the land is gone.

Nothing is being done...that is the worst part. It's criminal. Wildlife commission is worse than Congress. Prove me wrong.
They bought a $6m parcel last year

BSK

Can't prove you wrong, because you're not wrong.

Antler Daddy

Not sure. It was covered in a commission meeting video a while back
I am just saying that nobody asked me for money to help purchase any public land.

I would voluntarily purchase a stamp that 100% went to land purchases. I am not donating anything to a foundation or agency that just wants to pay salaries or whatever. I also want some land purchased besides the worst mountainous or swamp land that protects some snail darter.

Buy a 300 acre middle tennessee farm and use my idea of slots for access.

Latest posts