How does a depredation tag bypass ALL TWRA Regulation and state laws?

Atchman2

Since I have had a Depredation permit, it only works for one property. The thing is, from what I understand, it was for any legal means of taking. You could even bait and shoot over bait as the idea was to reduce the population. I know this because the two other hunters that hunted there were TWRA agents! They lived really close to the property and we were all just helping the landowner. I think they killed two deer with a crossbow and I killed four during muzzleloader season. (I honestly think you could have shot at night, but I felt that wasn't a good idea in the middle of a subdivision). Now to be fair that was 13 years ago and things may have changed.

Those few were enough and the population seems to be under control. The big thing that happened was one of the neighbors used to feed the deer which drew them into that small area. Well that mean the area was overgrazed and they started eating flower beds and gardens. Plus they were a true road hazard as you couldn't drive through neighborhood without stopping. The neighbor has moved out and the deer have reverted to more natural patterns.

The thing is the permit ended at the end of the legal hunting season. There was really no reason to keep it going since the number of deer incidents went down to pretty much a normal level.

Atchman2

Suppressed AR, night vision, road shooting deer , all a normal Summer and Fall night in my county honestly.
I've never really understood it? Is it for food? Do they take the deer carcass? Or do they do it for sport? Are they looking for antlers? Are they trying to access land they have no permission to hunt?

I couldn't think of a riskier thing to do hunting. The chance of hitting someone or their property. The chance of losing a rifle and a really expensive night vision or thermal sight. The risk of a minimum of $400 losing your suppressor. Not to mention your vehicle!

I've been hog hunting and seen lots of deer, but it never even tempted me to shoot a deer at night.

PollackInWTN

Since I have had a Depredation permit, it only works for one property. The thing is, from what I understand, it was for any legal means of taking. You could even bait and shoot over bait as the idea was to reduce the population. I know this because the two other hunters that hunted there were TWRA agents! They lived really close to the property and we were all just helping the landowner. I think they killed two deer with a crossbow and I killed four during muzzleloader season. (I honestly think you could have shot at night, but I felt that wasn't a good idea in the middle of a subdivision). Now to be fair that was 13 years ago and things may have changed.

Those few were enough and the population seems to be under control. The big thing that happened was one of the neighbors used to feed the deer which drew them into that small area. Well that mean the area was overgrazed and they started eating flower beds and gardens. Plus they were a true road hazard as you couldn't drive through neighborhood without stopping. The neighbor has moved out and the deer have reverted to more natural patterns.

The thing is the permit ended at the end of the legal hunting season. There was really no reason to keep it going since the number of deer incidents went down to pretty much a normal level.
We get a weekend in vow season for a "velvet hunt " here. Some how this "thing was killing multiple deer from the roadway after dark between velvet and regular bow season. No limit , no respect for property lines . . .just wrong as far as I and several of my local hunters can see it.

PollackInWTN

I've never really understood it? Is it for food? Do they take the deer carcass? Or do they do it for sport? Are they looking for antlers? Are they trying to access land they have no permission to hunt?

I couldn't think of a riskier thing to do hunting. The chance of hitting someone or their property. The chance of losing a rifle and a really expensive night vision or thermal sight. The risk of a minimum of $400 losing your suppressor. Not to mention your vehicle!

I've been hog hunting and seen lots of deer, but it never even tempted me to shoot a deer at night.
No , gut shot and left to rot.

PollackInWTN

Serious question here.
Have you left a message for the Weakley County TWRA officer?
I have learned through the years that many law enforcement officers have "their thing". With some it is seat belts, with some it is brake lights etc. That way when they pull 100 people over for that and issue warning tickets when they pull number 101 over and they have 25 pounds of meth in the car the judge will say, how many people have you pulled over for seat belts? 100 sir and issued 100 warnings.
Then the meth is more likely to be admissible in court.

I say all that to say this.
I have "heard" the new officer in Weakley County's "thing" is spotlighters.
Just sayin'
Multiple messages , from Multiple people.

PollackInWTN

I don't get too emotional about much these days, but IMO, depredation permit or road hunting, anyone who gut shoots deer on purpose needs to be publicly flogged until unconsciousness.
Preach ! This is why I have reached out . My county and region may not care, But I do ! There are several Ethical hunters that I am friends with that feel the same way!!!

lafn96

Probably 20 years ago or so, we had a depredation permit for our farm in Nebraska - so keep in mind I'm sure TN is different. Deer had destroyed 40 acres of corn; the permit was only good for that particular section of the farm. Could use any legal weapon, and the permit was for up to 30; we got 15. Don't remember what other rules applied, but I'm sure we had to follow all other laws - a depredation permit doesn't trump other state/federal law.

kentuckylakebuck1

Probably 20 years ago or so, we had a depredation permit for our farm in Nebraska - so keep in mind I'm sure TN is different. Deer had destroyed 40 acres of corn; the permit was only good for that particular section of the farm. Could use any legal weapon, and the permit was for up to 30; we got 15. Don't remember what other rules applied, but I'm sure we had to follow all other laws - a depredation permit doesn't trump other state/federal law.
these tn permits are an open permit to kill on whatever particular property is stated on the permit, unlimited, day or night and the only stipulations are no shooting off public rd. and remove any animals that can be seen from a public rd. this tells you the twra is trying to hide it from the public! anyone that doesnt believe me, ill be glad to share s few permits for your viewing pleasure. purely sickening!

redblood

When i bought my farm, the crop rights were leased to a man i have known my whole life. When we were riding around the farm with previous owner i noticed deer skull and bones everywhere around the crop fields. Ask the owner and he told
Me the farmer had a depredation permit and came in during the summer and killed hundreds on mine snd surrounding property that he has crops on. I bought the farm but made it clear that he couldnt shoot them on my piece. He lowered the land lease by 800.00 lol. But it was still worth it to me . Our deer population is truly ridiculous so killing does wouldnt be a bad thing, but i saw several skulls that were obviously young bucks that had been killed in velvet. He retired and a new farmer took over all his tracts. He gave me the original price- but often complains about having to replant beans due to deer damage.

Big Chief200

No ticket , now warning just packed up and left.
My understanding of this situation is this , He and others like him are being sponsored by auto insurance carriers. That is why law enforcement looks the other way. Even then it don't make it right. I have seen people ticketed for corn on adjoining properties , they had no clue of . Still had to appear in court and were fined.
I doubt State Farm, and FarmBureau are paying people to poach deer.

Latest posts