How many fill all available deer tags?

Ski

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I don't enjoy killing something like I used to. Maybe it's being 56, who knows. But I think I enjoy the act of hunting now more than ever.

Yep I love hunting but not killing. Killing is my least favorite part, but the meat is a staple in our diet and I enjoy looking at the antlers I've collected over the years. They take me back to the hunt.

BSK

Very small sample size, but I'm surprised that the highest # of deer killed per year so far from those that responded is 3. Thought there'd be at least a few taking 5+ per year, and then maybe one or two that fill all tags.
I think there are very, very few hunters that whack-and-stack these days. Far fewer than there used to be. Most hard-core hunters - the ones that put in the most hunting hours - are after just old/good bucks and maybe a doe or two for meat.

Dr2kill

I usually tag out on bucks, and will get a doe or two. It all depends on who I know that want meat, I've gotten deer for people for the past 4 years. I've kept one in that time.

killingtime 41

When I was younger in the 90's I would kill whatever was brown was down. But we have more deer than then. And I'm a little older now so 1 good buck and a doe is about all I need. And I'd be satisfied. So far I've got zero but that's not unusual these days.

TX300mag

Since I have four kids old enough to hunt I will kill one occasionally on public land, but not every year.

Before they were hunting I would try for 10 per year, but that included Ohio and sometimes Texas. But keep in mind this is spread out over multiple places in several counties.

philsanchez76

Unit L. I have killed 5 deer this season. Im still trying for one more good buck and will prob shoot another doe or 2. Large fam and everyone wants/needs the meat. This is spread out over several different public properties. Every year I think maybe I put too much of a hurtin on em, then I go glass a field mid January after season is over and see 50+ deer. They are doin just fine.

Boone25/06

I'm usually good for 3 or 4 a year and donate the bucks to hunters for hungry. Keep the does. The only person I know of who shoots everything possible is the person that hunts my neighbors land. They are from Michigan and the guy and his wife hunt at least 5 days a week. They shoot nearly every time I'm hunting and have a deer in the back when leaving. Pretty frustrating trying to manage my property that I payed for when the neighbor lets someone with such different goals sit right on other side of fence. I don't know the totals every year but he did tell me him and his wife got 27 one year. Just wish he'd spend his hard earned money on his own spot somewhere else if killing everything is his goal.

hammer33

TWRA had the stats, you can probably still look them up. I think less than 50% of hunters took 1 deer per season. Something like 20% got 2 or more. Then it really dropped when you went to 3 or more. If I remember, it was like 4% took more than 3 deer and 0.7% got 4 or more.

I don't remember the exact numbers but it was very surprising how many hunters got 0. Then how few got 2 or more. This was several years ago so it might have changed since then.

agelessssone

I take 3 per year.
Since I don't care about horns, I take the biggest bodied bucks and a mama doe I can find.
I've got two bucks and one e doe this year, may take o e for a neighbor who wants one.
But, he'll get to gut it, take it to the processor and pay for it.
He needs to be involved otherwise, he can go to Kroger.

TN Larry

I used to kill several does per year along with 1 to 3 bucks. In the last several years, I have left the doe killing to the kids for the most part. I think I've killed two does in the past 5 years, but they've killed several. I normally kill 1 to 2 good bucks per year but sitting on 0 right now for this year for the first time in probably 20 yrs. There's still a lot of season left here though.

Lt.Dan

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I don't enjoy killing something like I used to. Maybe it's being 56, who knows. But I think I enjoy the act of hunting now more than ever.
^^^ This. I still have a freezer full from last year. So I'm out there enjoying the experience of hunting. If something that would be a personal best walks by, I'm shooting. I've let 6 deer walk so far this year, that I could have shot. Saw many more that offered no shots. Plus, being 61 and that I process all my own deer, it's becoming a lot of work for me that I don't want to do. I hunt public land and walk a mile or more into my treestands which means I have to drag them out that distance also. I'm thinking of doing more squirrel hunting. It's a much easier drag. 😆

MUP

My goal is to kill one mature buck each season, two if I get a chance at a larger one than the one I've already killed, which is a rarity. Does aren't plentiful on my property, so they get a pass. I like to keep the 10-12 that I regularly see in the area.

Latest posts