How many fill all available deer tags?

Lt.Dan

My goal is to kill one mature buck each season, two if I get a chance at a larger one than the one I've already killed, which is a rarity. Does aren't plentiful on my property, so they get a pass. I like to keep the 10-12 that I regularly see in the area.
My brother thought he didn't have many doe on his property a couple years ago. Then season closed and this happened:

IMG_2489(1).jpg

He said there were a total of 23 doe out there that evening. The next time you think there are not many doe, you might want to think again. Just saying.

MidTennFisher

If I still lived in TN and in Unit L, I'd kill as many does as I could to keep my freezer filled. Meat isn't getting cheaper, nor is anything else. We're a single income family as my wife stays home to raise and school our children. I'd fill my freezer and then buy another freezer to fill before I stopped attempting to kill just one more doe.

My wife loves deer meat as much as I do and we've got two kids who will turn into significant deer meat consumers. With the state allowing 2 bucks, in addition to that I'd like to kill 5-6 does to have enough venison so that it's the majority of our protein until the next September.

If I failed, I'd drive over to West TN (being sure to avoid Memphis at all costs) and try to get another doe or 2 our there. After all, we now know that some of the CWD data is BS anyway. And I also am not worried about eating a deer that might have had CWD.

themanpcl

In Unit A, I can take 10 deer if I max out my tags for all seasons. If I had the deer herd to support it, I'd probably try to fill all those as I love venison and all the sausage/jerky. I'm trying to build the herd on my property, so right now besides the two in the freezer I'll keep trying for a good buck. If I don't get one by the end of the season I'll probably take one more doe.
For bucks, if I get the opportunity on 2 great deer, sure but not filling just to say I filled it. For does, every year I say I'm thinning the herd before and after rut but have not ever taken more than 2. This year, if I am blessed enough, I will try to take 5. We'll see....

Ski

If I still lived in TN and in Unit L, I'd kill as many does as I could to keep my freezer filled. Meat isn't getting cheaper, nor is anything else. We're a single income family as my wife stays home to raise and school our children. I'd fill my freezer and then buy another freezer to fill before I stopped attempting to kill just one more doe.

My wife loves deer meat as much as I do and we've got two kids who will turn into significant deer meat consumers. With the state allowing 2 bucks, in addition to that I'd like to kill 5-6 does to have enough venison so that it's the majority of our protein until the next September.

If I failed, I'd drive over to West TN (being sure to avoid Memphis at all costs) and try to get another doe or 2 our there. After all, we now know that some of the CWD data is BS anyway. And I also am not worried about eating a deer that might have had CWD.

I've got nothing against that, and would be same way myself if I had young children at home.

I actually used to kill more when my kids were at home. When my daughter was a teenager our house was the place to be because we always had meals. I think we raised half the kids in town on wild game. There were many a day I'd cook up a limit of doves and never get a taste for myself because the kids had it gone soon as it came off the stove. I fed rabbit, squirrel, venison, doves, turkeys, frogs, etc. Lots of good memories and I always felt good knowing the kids were safe, out of trouble, and not hungry.

Now days we have one more boy and he graduates in spring. It'll be momma and myself. No need for so much meat anymore.

medic

I try to fill the 2 doe tags during ML and the 2 during rifle, if a buck happens during that time then thats an extra one. I make a lot of summer sausage, bologna and jerky. Wife and I only eat ground deer when we cook something that is made from hamburger meat.

agelessssone

We ran out of deer meat at the beginning of muzzleloader season.
My shoulder had healed up enough by the 14th of November for me to climb a tree.
Shot one buck at 3:30 PM on the 14th and one at 6:30 AM on the 15th.
Killed a doe on the morning of the 17th, just in time to get her to the processor's before gun season.
MAY take one more doe mid December

Latest posts