How many fill all available deer tags?

lafn96

In Unit A, I can take 10 deer if I max out my tags for all seasons. If I had the deer herd to support it, I'd probably try to fill all those as I love venison and all the sausage/jerky. I'm trying to build the herd on my property, so right now besides the two in the freezer I'll keep trying for a good buck. If I don't get one by the end of the season I'll probably take one more doe.

Last edited:

Omega

Unit L here also, plus, if I wanted to, I get bonus bucks on Fort Campbell, but no, I get one for me, and one for friends who ask for one, 3 this year, which most times end up being does.

tellico4x4

Zero interest in filling a tag just for the sake of doing it. I have my standards and going to do my darndest to not pull trigger on something that does make it. Could easily tag out just about any day here in unit L, but if I just want something to eat, I shoot a doe. I've eaten a lot of "tag soup" in my day and did week before last in NE. Could have killed a good buck each of the three days I hunted, but I don't travel out of state to kill same size I could kill here. That particular bowl of tag soup was $798.00 + trip, but no regrets whatsoever and had a great time.
I typically kill 1 buck every 2-3 years off our place in TN.

Snake

In Unit A, I can take 10 deer if I max out my tags for all seasons. If I had the deer herd to support it, I'd probably try to fill all those as I love venison and all the sausage/jerky. I'm trying to build the herd on my property, so right now besides the two I've got two in the freezer I'll keep trying for a good buck. If I don't get one by the end of the season I'll probably take one more doe.
Used to kill in double figures but that got tiresome and back then HFH wasn't around. Got tired of people that said they wanted deer until you come up with one. Well if you processed it they'd take it . Tagged out on bucks and really have no desire to kill a doe but may go another time or two hoping to kill a coyote .

DoubleRidge

2021 was fortunate to kill a mature buck.
2022 let several walk...never killed one.
2023 was fortunate to kill a mature buck.

2019 was the last time I killed two bucks in the same year...and that was off of two separate farms.

We try not to hammer them to hard....keep pressure to a minimum year to year.

Targeting mature bucks means some years I wont kill one....but normally we have a few around to chase.

megalomaniac

I usually shoot 1 buck a year, but probably won't this year. I like to kill old cull bucks or big racked bucks. We have neither this year. Don't have to worry about meat... have 3 kids hunting as well, so they do most of the killing now.

LenS

I haven't killed a deer in 2 years. Waiting for something old, even if that doesn't mean big antlered. My wife and I work out of the country the majority of the year so we don't need to restock the freezer every season. So now I am only pulling the trigger if he really excites me.

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I don't enjoy killing something like I used to. Maybe it's being 56, who knows. But I think I enjoy the act of hunting now more than ever.

killingtime 41

most years I don't kill anything. That's because in the mountains not anyway possible you'll shoot your total limit for the season from archery to gun. Be lucky if you see a deer every 5 sits. If I could I wouldn't anyway. 2 deer tops would last a long time unless you ate deer everyday. I wouldn't eat steak from a cow everyday much less deer meat. Once to twice a week and I'll be out of deer meat by the start of new season

Lost Lake

I try to take 3-4 deer a year, including trying for one decent buck. I'm buckless this season so far, so it's not looking good. That's fine. One or two more does will take care of us.

Remi

Unit B

My goals are 1-2 doe per year and 1 good buck. In reality I usually get a crack at a good buck every other year.

lafn96

Very small sample size, but I'm surprised that the highest # of deer killed per year so far from those that responded is 3. Thought there'd be at least a few taking 5+ per year, and then maybe one or two that fill all tags.

Flintlocksforme

Impossible for me unit L. Tagged out on bucks generally yearly since it went to 2.
Unit L @ 3 does per day with nearly 100 days of hunting = 300 deer a person. It's a challenge that requires a lot of freezer space. CWD is basically unlimited on bucks if you are shooting every doe / fawn you see.

Latest posts