Food Plots Hot, dry spell

BSK

I tried that 3 weeks ago. My truck is so dusty I can't see out of it!! I'm getting concerned about my well drying up it's been so dry.
Plan on going out to my property this week. I'll check our spring-fed stairstep rock creeks. Closest they have come to going dry was the severe drought in 2007, which also produced the worst EHD outbreak I've ever seen.

BSK

The computer models usually exaggerate forecast precipitation amounts, but right now, one long-range model has 9 inches of rain for Middle TN over the next 2 weeks, while a second shifts that 9 inches into East TN. Take that for what it's worth (i.e. not a lot).

megalomaniac

I don't know if I've ever seen it this bad. Went to our place over the weekend. Complete desert. Buckwheat was about 1 foot tall and brown. Sunn hemp was about 18" tall and brown. 20% of the greenbrier was brown and much of the rest was turning brown. We have 8 watering holes and all have dried up for the exception of one. A couple of those I have never seen dry in the 23 years we have had our place. I think to some extent, another EHD outbreak is inevitable.
If the drought on your place continues, the hunting this fall can be incredible if you... #1 have a water source (haul water to 1 spot if needed), and #2 have some native browse. Even if the browse is dry but has just a little green left in it, it becomes the preferred food source, especially if your neighbors don't have any green.

One of the best hunting years we've ever had on my place was the horrible fall drought the year Gatlinburg burned. Noone around us had water, we still had a couple ponds that cattle couldn't access that had water. Deer (and older bucks) were hitting them twice a day in November. We killed more mature bucks that season than any other season hunting ponds and native browse (catbrier, coralberry) that was dry but not burned completely up.

BSK

If the drought on your place continues, the hunting this fall can be incredible if you... #1 have a water source (haul water to 1 spot if needed), and #2 have some native browse. Even if the browse is dry but has just a little green left in it, it becomes the preferred food source, especially if your neighbors don't have any green.

One of the best hunting years we've ever had on my place was the horrible fall drought the year Gatlinburg burned. Noone around us had water, we still had a couple ponds that cattle couldn't access that had water. Deer (and older bucks) were hitting them twice a day in November. We killed more mature bucks that season than any other season hunting ponds and native browse (catbrier, coralberry) that was dry but not burned completely up.
That's sort of what I'm hoping for. We have three spring-fed tumbling rock creeks that have never gone dry. We have 100 acres of 2-year-old cut-over. And IF we get fall rains, our food plots will be the only game in town. Could be a slam-dunk.

JCDEERMAN

We have two ponds touching each other. One is full and the other about 1/3 full. Both comprising about an acre total. On each side of our property is a flowing creek and the other side has some springs. Those would be my preference if I was a deer, but found tons of tracks in the mud in our water (mud) holes.

As far as food, we should be good there. We had about 40 acres select-cut last year and I was happy to see as much lush green stuff growing in that as I did over the weekend. And if we can plan right and get some timely rains this early fall, we'll have around 30 acres of food plots. We limed this spring and will invest in fertilizer this fall, because it looks like there will be a dismal acorn crop

BSK

Looks like Lobelville area got 3"+.
Yup.

I can't remember who posted it, but I want to thank whoever posted the iWeathernet rainfall totals map link. It is amazingly accurate. I have a recording rain gauge at my property that I can access through the internet, so I know exactly what rainfall the location actually received. Yet that iWeathernet rainfall map gets very ,very close. It says my rain gauge location received 1.22" which is very close to the actual 1.33"

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I've been very blessed with a lot of rain over the past 3 weeks in upper E TN along the VA line. I got 0.91" yesterday and another 2" over the past week. Everything is growing and green on my places.

Bottom plot
PICT2416_202207251704xqZst.jpg

Ridge Top Plot after I mowed it. You couldn't see the fallen tree in the back ground before I cut it.
PICT0018_202207202351yKNSs.jpg

JCDEERMAN

I've been very blessed with a lot of rain over the past 3 weeks in upper E TN along the VA line. I got 0.91" yesterday and another 2" over the past week. Everything is growing and green on my places.

Bottom plot
View attachment 143653

Ridge Top Plot after I mowed it. You couldn't see the fallen tree in the back ground before I cut it.
View attachment 143654
Yea E TN has gotten a lot of rain. I mentioned to my FIL in Knoxville how we were living in a desert and he didn't believe me. You're right - that is bright green!

BSK

I looked at a radar estimate the other day that showed over 8 inches of rain in 3 days just north of Oak Ridge. Crazy. Until yesterday, I had received a grand total of 0.62" in the last 2 months.