Food Plots Dry spell

landman

We got 12 acres sprayed before the rain today, started no-tilling again but got too wet in the flash flood rains in Stewart Co today.
But 9 miles up the road no rain

PalsPal

Wes Parrish said:
much seed is wasted on Labor Day weekend.

Is there a time frame in which sown seed needs rain before it will not germinate?

Just curious what the difference would be in getting rain a day or so after sowing or it being 3-4 weeks?

Boll Weevil

I don't know an exact timeframe but soft-coated seets and cereal grains typically become bird food pretty quickly. If you have lots of turkeys, they can wipe out ungerminated seed that was broadcast faster than you can imagine.

Drilled will likely have a higher germination rate (if it's sown in moist soil) and less "bird predation" (because it's buried).

woodsman87

Hate complaining about weather because its out of my control, but my farms need it bad. Hasn't rained at my place since August 13th I believe. I don't know when I'm going to be able to plant. Small chance of rain this afternoon, but not going to chance planting with not rain. There is also no good rain chances in sight. Just a big cool front then by next Tuesday is going to be upper 80s low 90s again, drying us out even furhter.
I guess its good for farmers picking the corn, but not for my food plots. I am going to be in trouble if I can get my stuff planted by about October 15th.

I looked at some graphs of the state of TN and AL, and an image, and right where our farms is was one of the driest places in the southeast. It appears that the middle of high pressure is hovering over my house. I am not a meteorologist, just griping that I need some rain. I noticed Monday and Tuesday this week, places about 30+ miles from me got all the rain they needed. Monday it fizzled out about 30 miles from me, and Tuesday it bulit up about 30 miles from me and stayed in the same place, and gradually moved NW instead of E or SE like normal.

tellico4x4

Has rained 3 out 4 last days on Wayne/Hardin line at out place, with 3/4" on Wed. We finished tillering 5 plots last Sat and didn't plant as thought this week would be dry...Will have to re-work ground tomorrow to finish planting.

woodsman87

Finally rained. Got two out of four planted before rain yesterday afternoon. Maybe more rain soon so I can plant my others.

woodsman87

Since it only rained about 1/2" to 1" On Thursday when I planted, and has gotten more dry and more hot this week, mine will probably swell up then wither and die.
There isn't a such think as turkeys in southern Giles anymore, so I am not worried about them.

Latest posts