Food Plots Hot, dry spell

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Yea E TN has gotten a lot of rain. I mentioned to my FIL in Knoxville how we were living in a desert and he didn't believe me. You're right - that is bright green!
Crazy how it's hit and miss in spots. Back in 2017, it was bone dry most of summer then mid Aug there was calls for rain. I had planted 3 food plots 2 times on rain that never showed up. 3rd time was in early Sept when a hurricane was coming up from the gulf covering almost all of TN. I worked till 9:45 that night getting plots seeded. Wife was pissed that I worked all day then ran to the farm to seed. I woke up at 2am and checked my phone. It was like someone had put a teardrop shape bubble from Chattanooga to VA. We got ZERO rain on all my plots over that 12 hours!! It didn't rain till mid Oct. Had just parts of my plots grow in stunted form.

IMG_4207 (1).PNG

BTW....I got home today at 4:23 and heavy rains rolled through at 4:31 for about 35 mins.

IMG_4390.JPEG

IMG_4391.JPEG

IMG_4392.JPG

BSK

There was a year recently, could have been 2017, when the weather was so dry August into the fall, that I didn't get enough rain to plant until late October. Plots were just germinating opening of MZ season. That year, it didn't rain at all from about mid-August until mid-October.

megalomaniac

Glad you guys are finally getting some rain...

Not bragging, but I haven't even had to turn on my yard sprinklers since late May here in south MS despite a hotter than normal summer!

May was crazy dry here, but since then, we've had timely rains every 5 to 6 days.

Almost time to start doing prep work on the plots in TN to get ready for fall plantings...

wildlifefarmer

BSK, I wish you would quit bragging!! I know I'm not that far away from you.I did get .4 rain Monday but only got .08 yesterday 😩! Watched the thunderstorm come to about Humphreys/Dickson county line then just a sprinkling. I'm mighty thirsty!!

BSK

BSK, I wish you would quit bragging!! I know I'm not that far away from you.I did get .4 rain Monday but only got .08 yesterday 😩! Watched the thunderstorm come to about Humphreys/Dickson county line then just a sprinkling. I'm mighty thirsty!!
Don't give up hope. Models look really good for rain in our area through at least Friday. Some models all the way through the weekend.

BSK

I know I'm being stupid, but I'm actually going to plant the one plot I didn't get to in spring. Going to see what growth I can get out of Sunn Hemp from now until I turn plots for fall planting sometime in September. I figure some green manure in the plot is better than bare dirt.

JCDEERMAN

I know I'm being stupid, but I'm actually going to plant the one plot I didn't get to in spring. Going to see what growth I can get out of Sunn Hemp from now until I turn plots for fall planting sometime in September. I figure some green manure in the plot is better than bare dirt.
How has it done so far? I'm guessing very dismal. I meant to take pics of ours this past weekend to post, but forgot. Buckwheat was about 12" tall and dried out and dark brown. Most had seed heads, but just a couple seeds per head. Maybe this rain will knock those seeds to the ground and a second crop will come up before fall. Sunn hemp was about 18"-24" and green. Hopefully it shoots up tall before fall planting for some green manure in the soil

BSK

How has it done so far? I'm guessing very dismal.
No idea, but I'm assuming it's dead. Haven't been out there in a month. Now I was surprised when I was out just before 4th of July. Everything else was already near death, but Sunn Hemp was up and doing fairly well. But then a month of heat and no rain, I'm sure it's dead.

Andy S.

Finally.............a toad strangler in southwest TN. Too much too fast, so excessive runoff and scour are potential negatives, but at this point, beggars cannot be choosers. Big swath of rain tracking due east for west and middle TN guys. Hopefully it'll stay together and not run out of steam before it reaches those who need it.

BSK

2.55" at my place this week. Have no idea how well it soaked in, but headed that way today to check things out, as well as assess damage from the drought.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I've had 4 rain events this week. According to farmlogs, Monday was 0.91", Tues was 0.19", Wed was 1.32" and Thurs was 0.94". That's on top of all the rain we had the week before. HOpe my place stays wet for a few more weeks so I can start planting Mid/late Aug.

wildlifefarmer

Y'all are very lucky!! Tn city farm got sprinkles Monday, Tuesday Wednesday Thursday but not enough to measure in the rain any day 🤬!! Don't know how much today but it is raining 😳.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Just pulled up my data from farmlogs.com. Since July 19th, I've gotten 8.06" of rain. 3 days it was 1". Everything is nice and green at my place...wish it would do this through out Sept. Looking to start my fall plots around Aug 15th.

1659360229308.png

NChunt1

Wonder if overseeding some clover fields with more clover would be beneficial right now with all this rain ?