Food Plots Hot, dry spell

tellico4x4

Severe tstorm warnings last night around 10:30, thunder & lightening woke me up, news this morning said 3-4" for me, my rain gauge shows less than . 25".... Good news is that Farm Logs show that I got 1.15" at camp yesterday! Hopefully more to come in next couple days

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Severe tstorm warnings last night around 10:30, thunder & lightening woke me up, news this morning said 3-4" for me, my rain gauge shows less than . 25".... Good news is that Farm Logs show that I got 1.15" at camp yesterday! Hopefully more to come in next couple days
Lucky man! We got .2" yesterday according to Farm Logs

tellico4x4

Drought monitor this morning still shows our place on Wayne/ Hardin line to be abnormally dry, need a system to get in Gulf and come our way but that isn't looking good either.

Got .07" yesterday which brings the past 3 days storm rain to 2.15". Since July 28 have gotten 6.68". As hot & dry the 6 weeks prior to 7/28 were, the recent rain probably saved my clover and has allowed some prep work to begin.

We've still got our historical driest period ahead of us and that's what has me concerned. September can be brutal. Believe it was 2019 that we got decent rain in early August and I charged ahead with planting. Had a good rain shortly afterwards and great germination. Then the faucet shut off & only received .25" inch the entire month of September. Plots were total loss and it was mid October before replanting all.

Ordered my seed the other day for late August pickup but unless things drastically change, it'll be after September 15 before it goes in ground. Everything is just too dang expensive this year to have to do twice. Then there's the army worm potential to consider as well....

Last edited:

BSK

We've still got our historical driest period ahead of us and that's what has me concerned. September can be brutal. Believe it was 2019 that we got decent rain in early August and I charged ahead with planting. Had a good rain shortly afterwards and great germination. Then the faucet shut off & only received .25" inch the entire month of September. Plots were total loss and it was mid October before replanting all.

Ordered my seed the other day for late August pickup but unless things drastically change, it'll be after September 15 before it goes in ground. Everything is just too dang expensive this year to have to do twice. Then there's the army worm potential to consider as well....
That's what worries me as well. Historically, September is our driest month of the year. Basically, if we don't get a hurricane coming up out of the Gulf, we get little rain in September. I remember 2019. Didn't get my plots in until late October because of no rain mid-August through mid-October.

Plan on waiting until mid-September this year and then assessing soil moisture and rainfall forecasts before planting.

megalomaniac

Don't want to wish for the rain to stop, but I can't even run the bushhog right now on my newest TN farm from all the rain.... Another inch yesterday, and I need at least a week without rain to be able to bushhog as the fields are low and poorly drained.

DeerCamp

News said we've gotten right at 2" over the last 3 days. However, I think it was a bit more.

Forgot that I had plugged the overflow drain on my pool. Had to unplug it yesterday because the water was above the skimmers. That showed closer to 3".

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
With yesterday's light steady 3 hr rain of 0.14", I'm at just under 10" since July 18 at my farm. I've got weeds in my food plots that are chest high with a few areas over 6'. Calling for showers over next 5 days. Hoping to cut the plots Monday.

This is one of my plots that I mowed July 4th weekend. Mowed with the plan of spraying it a few weeks later. But a few weeks later it started the rain almost every day. You can see the white 5' tree tube in upper right corner, some of the plants are taller than it.
PICT0027_202208101747YkdJN.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts