Hole In The Neck Buck

BSK

Do you think it's odd that the very same buck suffered a gunshot wound, AND an antler wound within 12 months apart?
I've seen lots of deer previously shot with bullets and arrows that produced no malformity in their later antlers. However, I've seen a lot of broken leg and busted shoulder deer that produce malformed antlers later in life.

gasman

I've seen lots of deer previously shot with bullets and arrows that produced no malformity in their later antlers. However, I've seen a lot of broken leg and busted shoulder deer that produce malformed antlers later in life.
Either way, it is confirmed to be the same buck, rather it was gunshot, damaged soft antler, or whatever caused it, it's a trophy to me for several reasons, history, method of take, gun used, etc… I'm still pumped about it and it's been almost 24 hrs since I shot him.

backyardtndeer

Either way, it is confirmed to be the same buck, rather it was gunshot, damaged soft antler, or whatever caused it, it's a trophy to me for several reasons, history, method of take, gun used, etc… I'm still pumped about it and it's been almost 24 hrs since I shot him.
Was the wound to the neck on the same side as the goofed up antler or the opposite side?

If your have ever read any of Leonard Lee Rue's books on whitetails, he talks in some about "contralateral condition". He explains that damage to one side of the body is shown on the antler on the opposite side.

gasman

Was the wound to the neck on the same side as the goofed up antler or the opposite side?

If your have ever read any of Leonard Lee Rue's books on whitetails, he talks in some about "contralateral condition". He explains that damage to one side of the body is shown on the antler on the opposite side.
The entry wound was on same side. The lodged bullet was opposite side.

BSK

Interesting thing is, that works opposite depending on front or rear of body. Front leg injuries usually produce a malformed antler on the same side. Rear leg injuries produce a malformed antler on the opposite side.

BSK

Don't mean to take away from the uniqueness of the story or the buck. Personally, I've never heard of someone shooting the same buck two years in a row! A few days apart, yes, but not a year apart!

mike243

Only took 2 neck shots to kill it lol glad that case is closed, so many never know the ending and are left wondering forever.

Latest posts