Venison neck roast

agelessssone

Wife cooked up a venison neck roast for dinner tonight, it was AWESOME!
I used to shoot deer in the neck to drop them where they stood but once I had a neck roast, never shoot another in the neck again.
Now, I like to shoot them high in the shoulder. Drops them in their tracks, but generally have to finish them off with the handgun.
We like the front shoulder roasts too, therefore the high shoulder shot right above the clavicle.

Omega

Neck roasts are good, but I would rather lose part of the neck than the shoulders. I hunt small plots, so DRT is a must, and a neck shot does that for me 9/10 times.

Stumpsitter

I've been eating neck roasts for years. I mostly shoot high shoulder. I've never attempted a neck shot. I've always thought it was too much of a chance to miss / neck bone.
I killed an 8pt many years ago in Hickman County that had been shot in the neck. The wound was big enough for me to lay my hand in and was completely healed/ hardened. He was with a group of does and acted completely fine.
I know alot of people neck shoot them but I've always been afraid to because of that experience and I like neck roasts anyway.

eddie c

First neck roast I had the cook was feeding about 10-15 guys and my wife. He had several in a good size cast iron kettle over a oak fire. He took the lid off, grabbed the bone with thongs and gave it a quick twist. Meat just fell off the bone.
That was a good meal.

rifle02

I like neck roasts myself. My wife not so much, something about the bone in it. We ate a few neck roasts this past year and it seems all the deer I shoot are small so the neck roast doesn't really amount t0 much. My concern lately has been the spinal material in the neck bone. Now with the concerns with CWD it kind of creeped me out. The neck roasts always turn out good but I think I'm done with that.

Ski

I like neck roasts myself. My wife not so much, something about the bone in it. We ate a few neck roasts this past year and it seems all the deer I shoot are small so the neck roast doesn't really amount t0 much. My concern lately has been the spinal material in the neck bone. Now with the concerns with CWD it kind of creeped me out. The neck roasts always turn out good but I think I'm done with that.

I always cut mine off the bone. It gives me easy access to all the lymphs sandwiched between the layers of muscle. IMO the bone and especially the lymphs give off a gamey flavor that I don't care for. Getting rid of them leaves the roast a whole lot like a lean beef roast but just enough yummy venison flavor to know it's a deer. Bone & lymphs are also where CWD is exists so it gets rid of that too.

My dad on the other hand enjoys the bone in. He likes deer fat too so there's that. The gamier the better for him lol. Different strokes for different folks.

Harold Money jr

I'd always thrown most of the neck away. I tried it once and now I always get a couple of roasts out of even a doe neck. I like to cut em just as long as my crock pot and when they are done there is just a vertebral column left. Tasty! If you haven't tried it.

agelessssone

The neck roast we had was off a big buck and it was huge.
We (wife, daughter and I) had two meals with a good chunk left over.
Froze it to have at a later date.
I love venison but three days in a row? We took a pass.
The wife is making shepherd's pie with ground venison even as I type.
Sometimes she makes it with a crust, sometimes with a mashed potatoe topping.
Today it's a pie crust topping. She makes the crust from scratch.
LOVE MY WIFE!!

Ski

The neck roast we had was off a big buck and it was huge.
We (wife, daughter and I) had two meals with a good chunk left over.
Froze it to have at a later date.
I love venison but three days in a row? We took a pass.
The wife is making shepherd's pie with ground venison even as I type.
Sometimes she makes it with a crust, sometimes with a mashed potatoe topping.
Today it's a pie crust topping. She makes the crust from scratch.
LOVE MY WIFE!!

You're a lucky man!

Chiflyguy

Take a neck roast, some pepperchinis, a package of dry ranch, packet of brown gravy mix, and crockpot that dude.
On some egg noodles.

agelessssone

Shepherd's pie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230912_201844_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230912_201844_Messages.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts