Venison Prosciutto?

Emca80

Hear this a few days back from a buddy saying it's even better than jerky. Has anyone ever made it or has the process to make it from what they have done before?

TAFKAP

Hear this a few days back from a buddy saying it's even better than jerky. Has anyone ever made it or has the process to make it from what they have done before?

I would bet it's very good. I've never tried any long-term dry curing because I don't have the equipment or expertise to do it correctly. I feel like Poser attempted it many years ago with poor success because his setup allowed it to dry too much.

Prosciutto requires about a year in a very controlled humidity. If you can't control the humidity, you might as well not try.

TAFKAP

I eat a lot of Prosciutto. I have only seen very thin, highly salted and lots of fat. I don't see how you could make it out of venison.

All can be achieved, except maybe the fat part. Even if you could get a really fatty doe, the type of fat in a deer is different than a pig's fat. I don't think it would be very palatable. But at its core, proscuitto is just salt-cured and air dried whole ham. No reason it couldn't be replicated with venison with the right setup

Antler Daddy

All can be achieved, except maybe the fat part. Even if you could get a really fatty doe, the type of fat in a deer is different than a pig's fat. I don't think it would be very palatable. But at its core, proscuitto is just salt-cured and air dried whole ham. No reason it couldn't be replicated with venison with the right setup
no doubt... I would try it, but suspect that I would not like it. Seems like a lot of work for those that want to give it a try.