Harvest numbers down

Ladys man

This time last year I had 1 down this year still haven't seen a single deer from the stand. Same stands and even more time off season preparing for the season and everyone I've talked to is in the same situation.

TboneD

The buck kill decrease should be of no surprise, even with the weather and winds being a little different this fall. The two buck limit went into effect and is having it's effect. I'm just glad there hasn't been an increase in does killed yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PillsburyDoughboy

I'm seeing more deer this year than I did last year. I personally think it's been MUCH cooler on the weekends compared to last year. I remember running the thermacell well up till almost Nov last year. This year I only ran it opening weekend. Last season I hunted in long sleeves and a vest most of the season and never pulled out a jacket till later in the season. This year I needed a jacket like week 2. Humphreys county.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

What little bit I have hunted has been great hunting. There have been multiple weather fronts on weekends that spurred some serious deer movement. In addition some great bucks have been killed this year too, so I would say weather has been conducive to hunting.

It is odd kill numbers are way down though.

Gray Ghost

No doubt 2 buck limit held folks off the trigger! I did for sure because MZ and rifle bring greater opportunity and greater odds. I can say that made me more selective.

csi-tech

I cant just drive 20 minutes to my good stand this year. Now I have to drive an hour to an AWESOME stand. Too expensive til I set the camper up during MZ.

deerchaser007

I'm going with license increase on this one. I expect there was less archery tags bought this year. I expect by rifle season those numbers will look totally different. Alot of folks just buying big game stamp and hunting license this year, and I expect they will do whatever to get their moneys worth.

Poleaxe

redhunterZ71":2sjq1srf said:
Dont think it has a thing to do with 2 buck limit! Weather has just sucked the whole season so far. If it wasn't raining it was 80 degrees. Probably no body can afford license anymore either! Lol

Got that right. That's license increase will have more to do with it than people think. I've ran into a lot of people that said they ain't paying the money. That's their choice but it's amazed me how many haven't.

jb357

The major decrease in antlerless bucks leads me to believe that the 2 buck limit has a larger influence on the numbers than the 3 buck guys will admit to. Seems to me that people are checking to make sure that "doe" isn't really a 3" spike. Then again, those deer are probably still getting killed and "telechecked"

PillsburyDoughboy

jb357":1pam4kgk said:
The major decrease in antlerless bucks leads me to believe that the 2 buck limit has a larger influence on the numbers than the 3 buck guys will admit to. Seems to me that people are checking to make sure that "doe" isn't really a 3" spike. Then again, those deer are probably still getting killed and "telechecked"

What is this telechecked ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catman529

red oaks are heavy in many places here, white oaks few and far between. Seen at least as many deer as last year if I had to guess. Killed 3 so far, which is down from last year this time. With the extra 5 days of season on private land I hope to knock down a couple extra does. This jerky thing goes through deer meat pretty quick.

PcDeer

Surprising but not surprising at the same time. The few times that I've been hunting I have seen a ton of deer, but it seems like most every weekend since the opener it has been raining or very warm. I know I've made the decision to stay home and not pressure the land that I hunt during less than prime conditions more times than not this bow season.

Bigg E

Check those numbers after the juvy hunt this weekend. Juvy was the 25th and 26th last year so that is probably skewing the numbers some.

Buzzard Breath

Bigg E":1zer8157 said:
Check those numbers after the juvy hunt this weekend. Juvy was the 25th and 26th last year so that is probably skewing the numbers some.
Great catch. I just ran last year's juvi numbers. They hammered them that weekend. Killed 5,673 deer.

Big20Pointer

I think its all of the above. I've only been a few times and had good cool weather. I've seen a ton of deer this year. Killed 2 does with my bow. Numbers don't lie though. I really think the 2 buck limit for now during archery season is saving a ton of younger bucks. My main reason for believing this is alot of bow hunters probably didn't shoot that 1st buck that walked by knowing they only had 2 buck tags this year instead of 3. Most hunters also realize that prime time starts with muzzleloader. Lets just wait and see what the numbers are by thanksgiving. But for now I will have to agree that ARCHERY wise those bucks are getting a pass because of the 2 buck limit.

Latest posts