Goose breast.

Nsghunter

I've never hunted geese, but I would like to. I specifically want a goose breast (or two) to make some pastrami out of. Preparing and eating wild game is my family's primary motivation for hunting.
I may not be able to get out this year but I thought I would like to give it a try. Does anyone in east tn have any tips on how to hunt geese over here? (blount county area). I have a little canoe and no boat or dog.

I don't have any decoys and my hunting budget is dry since deer season sucked it up.

Also, if anyone has any extra room for a guy on a goose hunt let me know, I would be happy to tag along and help. I've never shot a bird on the wing so I don't know if I could even hit anything anyways.

Smashdn

Canada goose isnt bad. Marinate in a little dales or whatever and slice thin across the grain of the meat into little steaks. Sear in a little butter and garlic medium rare.

You can cook it like a beef roast too with carrots and taters. Add some beef broth or stock to keep it from drying out.

Nsghunter

I'm going to try to make some of the smoked italian meats or pastrami. They say its a good way to take advantage of the strong flavors.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
If you make a salt brine and submerge it overnight you won't have too much trouble with flavor. I've made my Canada goose breasts into tacos al pastor (basically carne asada with pineapple). Turned out great. But I too am looking to make pastrami next time I kill one.

The nice thing about East TN Canada geese on public land or water is you quickly figure out their flight paths. Wherever you can pattern their low flight, that's where you can set up to pass shoot them from below. Make sure you have cover or they'll flare—in some cases, that means simply standing in a field behind a treeline waiting for them to crest the top.
Try to use either BB or #2 sized shot with a modified choke. Wait until the formation is practically on top of you, then start swinging through the bird and pull the trigger when it disappears (when the barrel covers it), but don't stop swinging even when you pull the trigger. Rinse, repeat until you shoot all 3 shots.

archer19

If you make a salt brine and submerge it overnight you won't have too much trouble with flavor. I've made my Canada goose breasts into tacos al pastor (basically carne asada with pineapple). Turned out great. But I too am looking to make pastrami next time I kill one.

The nice thing about East TN Canada geese on public land or water is you quickly figure out their flight paths. Wherever you can pattern their low flight, that's where you can set up to pass shoot them from below. Make sure you have cover or they'll flare—in some cases, that means simply standing in a field behind a treeline waiting for them to crest the top.
Try to use either BB or #2 sized shot with a modified choke. Wait until the formation is practically on top of you, then start swinging through the bird and pull the trigger when it disappears (when the barrel covers it), but don't stop swinging even when you pull the trigger. Rinse, repeat until you shoot all 3 shots.
I make jerky out of them, super.
they change their flight pattern after the second time blasted from a spot.
and yes they will turn when they see you.
sometimes we have dropped them like flies and other times shoot the sky down with nothing but a few feathers to show for it.
tough birds!

Granddaddy

Specklebelly geese are great plucked whole or breasted out. Like any waterfowl, DON'T OVER COOK. Breasted out they can be cooked just like mallards. I prefer to clean the breasts well, marinade in Moore's for about an hour then cook on medium heat grill (350) 3-4 minutes per side (less for ducks). Great with pepper jelly & wild rice. Marinade Canada geese breasts longer but don't over cook. Snows are best cooked with fresh veggies until veggies are tender, then throw out the goose & eat the veggies. Any ways to make Snows edible aren't worth the effort IMO.

casjoker

I found the best way to eat the geese I have shot was to bury them in the garden for fertilizer, then eat the veggies I grew. I honestly have not found them very enjoyable to eat, especially when compared to other game birds such as ducks, pheasants, or grouse.

Although I enjoy goose hunting I don't hunt them much because I don't eat them. I was raised you eat what you kill with a few exceptions for population control of animals that spread diseases or can hurt one of my animals.

archer19

I found the best way to eat the geese I have shot was to bury them in the garden for fertilizer, then eat the veggies I grew. I honestly have not found them very enjoyable to eat, especially when compared to other game birds such as ducks, pheasants, or grouse.

Although I enjoy goose hunting I don't hunt them much because I don't eat them. I was raised you eat what you kill with a few exceptions for population control of animals that spread diseases or can hurt one of my animals.
Make jerky, it's fantastic

bluewinged46er

Make jerky, it's fantastic

I am from the finger lakes region of upstate NY. The waterfowlers there kill a ton of geese. The almost all turn it in to jerky and when they have enough jerky, they bury it in the garden. I have had the jerky. Some of the best I've ever eaten.

Latest posts