Snow Goose Hunt

Terrier

Interesting, thanks for that info! I've heard of them being ground into sausages which sounded good, but heard breasting them out and eating like a steak had a very strong taste. Either way I'm sure they're fun to hunt!
I've found that the folks that say that either don't know how to cook, or have never bothered trying because someone else said so. Snow goose isn't the finest of waterfowl, but it's sure good to eat. Makes a pretty tasty ground meat mix, or even better, sausage

I was working up in Alaska several years ago and did some fishing when the water cleared up after breakup and when time permitted. I was catching salmon on a 6wt flyrod (undergunned, but it worked!). Not knowing what kind they were, I asked a kid fishing nearby. He said, "Dog Salmon... no good to eat. We use them for dog food."

Cut to a little later in the day, we were chatting with a local bush pilot back at the hanger we were based out of, and I repeated what the kid had told me. "WHAT?" he said.. "That's BS... They're alllllll good. If you put a piece of cooked salmon in front of anyone around here and they didn't already know what it was, they couldn't tell you one from the other. You were catching Chum Salmon. They're fine to eat."

Next day, I kept one, brought it back to where we were staying and cooked it up for dinner. It turned out to be one of the best tasting fish I've ever eaten. We all hurt ourselves eating so much... Couple days later, I had another chance to fish and kept a Silver Salmon, which was rumored to be a more desirable fish, but like that pilot had said, we couldn't tell the difference.

* I will say that when coots are the only thing flying when you're duck hunting... give them a pass. Eating coots isn't a good idea. Don't ask me how I know...

Last edited:

TAFKAP

The only time I've ever been on a deep sea fishing trip, I caught a bonita, and the coona$$ captain wouldn't let me keep it because it was "too bloody of a fish not worth eating". The guy was a complete horse's a$$ (separate from being a coona$$) most of the trip, but really got me mad about catching that fish. I've caught and eaten bonita before, and most folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between freshly filleted bonita & yellowfin tuna.

It wasn't long after that I decided to quit listening to what people thought about wild game & fish eating.

Latest posts