Duck and goose calls

Dodge Man

do you like em over say a Echo or a RNT?
I do, i have owned lots of other brands of calls. I still own lot of other calls. I have owed plenty of Echos, RNT, Hayes, Sure Shot, Buck Gardner and several more. I have nothing on my lanyard but Lares T1s and a Makers LA Short cut cutdown for something totally different.

Displaced_Vol

I agree about the DR-85. But I also like duck calls and buy at least one per year just cause. Several RNTs, one echo, couple different cut downs. Hunting buddy bought a Lares Hybrid earlier this year and when I first heard it I thought "whoa" there was something different about that… I ended up getting the regular bore timber (t1?). Love it. It won't be my last Lares.

On the cut down side I really like the singleton LA cut, but I've still not mastered it. But that's part of the fun to me.

wildside

Haydel DR85
I have probably more duck and goose calls than some stores, all price ranges from Free to $1,500 each.
I always have a DR85 on lanyard next to in most cases various RNT calls. I also hunt with a former guide who has killed or witness being killed 10's of thousands of waterfowl, he blows a DR most days. Can't beat one at any price, period…
One hundred percent agree! Now I use a Bayou Beast cane call in place of the old DR-85

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
A harelipped kindergartener could blow a Yentzen call and make it sound at least functional. Learn to blow this once nicely, then graduate up to a better acrylic. But honestly, you may just stay with this. Biggest downside to a wooden Yentzen is that the two halves can slip apart and leave you stranded when the reed falls out. The step up is their acrylic Yentzen ONE2 that screws together.

When I learned to blow this call at the beginning of my waterfowling, things began to change for my hunting success.

drake799

I started with a Dirty Rice then went to a Sweet Meat (Meet) can't remember which way it was spelled then went to cutdowns and have never went back Anytime I blow anything besides a cutdown now I feel like I'm about to blow then insert out the call lol. Me personally I would start cheap and work my way up. I'd hate to go spend $200 on a call and realize you don't like calling or it's not for you Just my .02

double browtine

A Johnny Marsh walnut call when tuned right, I think sounds better than any other call. The highball on a windy day really sounds amazing. But they are pretty much a collector call now and they take alot of air and deep breaths to blow correctly. I mainly use a Don Ansley in the small areas that I have to duck hunt now. It doesn't take a lot of air to blow it and you can call a lot quieter with it than most other duck calls. Since those are ole school wooden calls that most people have never heard of, a couple of good acrylic calls are the Primos Wench and any of the Echo brand calls.

I forgot about the goose call. The first goose call my dad bought me was a Ken Martin. IMO it's a great goose call and has stood the test of time. I have a long tube call I bought years ago when they first got popular but I can remember the brand. It sounds pretty good too but the Ken Martin is a lot easier to blow and sounds so much better.

Dodge Man

NOT A CUTDOWN!!!!
And there is an excellent how to video by Rusty Creasy on how to PROPERLY use a duck call and how to "read" ducks and when to call.

A cutdown is a game changer on certain days. I don't blow one very often but i keep one with me. I have had multiple days that ducks would be flying high and not responding to any other calls. But you blow the crap out of a cutdown and they would lock up and fall in. Soft easy calling is not always what works. I have days that one guy calling could not get the ducks to break out. But you get 6-8 guys blowing as hard as they could and we end up killing 40.

tickweed

A cheap call, easy, is a mallard magic. Lares hybrid, or T 1 is the best . Beginner's will do best with a double reed. Lots of cheaper doubles out there. Stepping up to a single reed is like riding a bike without training wheels. Much more air control involved. I would never have thought a call maker such as lares, especially from California, would produce a call that is so good sounding as the hybrid, or T1, with a simple reed selection which all lengths sound so different. Lares take a lot of practice, different air presentation to blow. The whine they produce is unequalled on the end of the hail . All you experienced guys already know, its knowing when to call, when not that matters. Another one l liked was RNT. I knew Butch personally, love the older RNTs. Went over to his shop yrs ago on a Sunday, he ran four of us all calls. Had hrs of fun with John, Big Jim, Antonio, all past world champions, great callers, hunters. I ran a older Daisy Cutter Butch made for me. Killed alot of ducks over it. Still have it in my collection. Also loved Mike Mclemore. He was a good friend. Have some of his first runs of the little double reeds from wood. Another previous world champion, sounded as much like a duck as anyone l ever hunted with. Sorry, l got a lil carried away bout calls, some great callers

Last edited:

tickweed

A cutdown is a game changer on certain days. I don't blow one very often but i keep one with me. I have had multiple days that ducks would be flying high and not responding to any other calls. But you blow the crap out of a cutdown and they would lock up and fall in. Soft easy calling is not always what works. I have days that one guy calling could not get the ducks to break out. But you get 6-8 guys blowing as hard as they could and we end up killing 40.
Power calling. Lots guys in the blind calling. Yes, some days they want to be pounded loud all the way. I believe the reason lots of guys calling is what they hear on refuges. Lots ducks being noisey. Then, also lite calling on other days. Just a bird. Lol

Bgoodman30

Power calling. Lots guys in the blind calling. Yes, some days they want to be pounded loud all the way. I believe the reason lots of guys calling is what they hear on refuges. Lots ducks being noisey. Then, also lite calling on other days. Just a bird. Lol

That's fun right there. Lean into them hard and all of the sudden one group wing tips lock then next thing you know you're in a tornado..

Latest posts