Snow Goose Hunt

gasman

One of my bucket list hunts is shooting snows from layout blinds in the middle of a corn field. Well yesterday some friends and myself made it happen. We set out what seemed like 2000 decoys (probably closer to 1200) Sunday night and was in the field early yesterday morning. Sure nuff, about 30-45 minutes after legal shooting time the birds started working. Had 1 large volley come in where we knocked down 11 birds. The groups started getting smaller but we scratched out 31 birds total including 2 specks and 1 susie. Fun times (minus the decoys) they sucked putting out and picking up.

Attachments

• F436A171-8EED-4B1E-8E4B-704D037E5892.jpeg
    F436A171-8EED-4B1E-8E4B-704D037E5892.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Mud Creek

That's awesome! It never really interested me as it seemed most people say they taste awful. Hate to shoot anything "just for sport", but for some reason this year I've had the itch to do it more than ever. Doubt I get a chance this year but hopefully will next season. Congrats on what sounds like a great day in the field!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
That's awesome! It never really interested me as it seemed most people say they taste awful. Hate to shoot anything "just for sport", but for some reason this year I've had the itch to do it more than ever. Doubt I get a chance this year but hopefully will next season. Congrats on what sounds like a great day in the field!
Snow goose is as good as any mallard I ever ate.

Mud Creek

Snow goose is as good as any mallard I ever ate.

Interesting, thanks for that info! I've heard of them being ground into sausages which sounded good, but heard breasting them out and eating like a steak had a very strong taste. Either way I'm sure they're fun to hunt!

TAFKAP

I've found that the folks that say that either don't know how to cook, or have never bothered trying because someone else said so. Snow goose isn't the finest of waterfowl, but it's sure good to eat. Makes a pretty tasty ground meat mix, or even better, sausage

Kevo222

Years ago we regularly did the snow goose conservation shoots after the normal season. Lots of ditch crawling, head raking in those east Arkansas rice fields. I loved to shoot them but the cedar plank we cooked on tasted better than the meat.

tickweed

I disagree on the taste part. I just dont think you could tell between ducks.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Here's a picture we got up in North Dakota one time of some snows working our spread:

image.jpg

Most usually we hated hunting them because the first flock always came in and worked us, got shot up, and then landed a mile or so away. Every flock that came afterwards went to them. Sometimes though, man it was a slaughter! Flocks of thousands of birds tornadoing overhead was crazy crazy. Boxes of shells per man on those hunts.
Honkers were way more reliable, and ducks were usually something we shot waiting on geese to arrive. We hardly ever specifically targeted ducks up there as they decoyed into any spread.