Good Ole Summit Viper

TheLBLman

I like hunting high, and those Summit's make that possible.
THIS is a much bigger deal than many think not!

In terms of your presence going undetected by deer,
typically, there are few things you can do that equal being perched at a HIGHER elevation above the deer.

Not possible in many situations, but for me, the most ideal height typically seems to be 23 feet.
And I'm referring to the foot platform, not the seat.
This is generally not possible with a ladder stand, the most common height being 15-16 feet at the seat level.

JeepKuntry

Wow. Are you saying the summit is not comfortable?
For me yes. Maybe I got a bad seat. IDK but I've had 3 Summit's through the years, 2 Goliath's and a Viper. And I have hated every one of them for one reason or another. Had an old American made API Grand Slam that I loved. Eventually it wore out. Bought this one off of Amazon after Christmas for $180. So I know I will get my money back when I sell. Haven't had time to figure out what I will get.

Last edited:

UTGrad

THIS is a much bigger deal than many think not!

In terms of your presence going undetected by deer,
typically, there are few things you can do that equal being perched at a HIGHER elevation above the deer.

Not possible in many situations, but for me, the most ideal height typically seems to be 23 feet.
And I'm referring to the foot platform, not the seat.
This is generally not possible with a ladder stand, the most common height being 15-16 feet at the seat level.

I haven't mentioned in this thread but I've got two hang ons at my lease that are 25 ft to the platform. It certainly helps but man it's a steep angle on close shots. Personally I prefer 18-20 feet for bow hunting. Summit Viper is also the best stand for going really high cause that bar gives an extra sense of security. When I first get up in my hang ons even with a harness on my brain tells me I'm really high lol.

muddyboots

For me yes. Maybe I got a bad seat. IDK but I've had 3 Summit's through the years, 2 Goliath's and a Viper. And I have hated every one of them for one reason or another. Had an old American made API Grand Slam that I loved. Eventually it wore out. Bought this one off of Amazon after Christmas for $180. So I know I will get my money back when I sell. Haven't had time to figure out what I will get.

wow. That's interesting. I hunted in an open shot daylight to dark for 3 days at presidents island. Like a recliner. Obviously yours was different.

redblood

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I am also a Summit Goliath fan! Simple to set up and very roomy and comfortable. I was lucky last year though that a friend of mine is letting me hunt his property so I have three ladder stands set up. It takes all of ten minutes from truck to stand. Although not a large piece of property, it's a great pass through area and no one is hunting the surrounding areas. Took a nice nine point from there last year.

Gray Squirrel

I got bit by the mobile hunting bug a few years back and hunted a bunch with a LW Assault and sticks. It certainly has its advantages in places. I was so committed to my stand and sticks, I got to where I was setting up in places where a perfectly climbable tree with a climber was right next to me.

Well I'm going back to my roots and getting the Summit Viper out when I want to hunt mobile. I've killed lots of deer out of a Viper and places I hunt I can find a climbable tree. There is nothing more comfortable than the seat in a Summit Viper.

Anyone else still a climber or has everyone gone to saddle hunting? Lol.
At 5-5 and 150lbs the Mini Viper has been fantastic for Little old me. I still prefer using the ladder stands in the morning, but afternoon hunts are great in the Mini Viper. I prep a few new trees before season and hunt them during different wind directions. Always thought the Mini Viper was like hunting from a lounge chair 15 ft up in a tree.

Jaahspike

I got bit by the mobile hunting bug a few years back and hunted a bunch with a LW Assault and sticks. It certainly has its advantages in places. I was so committed to my stand and sticks, I got to where I was setting up in places where a perfectly climbable tree with a climber was right next to me.

Well I'm going back to my roots and getting the Summit Viper out when I want to hunt mobile. I've killed lots of deer out of a Viper and places I hunt I can find a climbable tree. There is nothing more comfortable than the seat in a Summit Viper.

Anyone else still a climber or has everyone gone to saddle hunting? Lol.
I really don't use climbers anymore but I have 2 ol man stands and they are very comfortable. I have an older one that is heavy and I bought a lighter version and I loved using them. We have so many ladder and lock on stands that I do t have a need for a climber. Good luck

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
As "long as you are able" reminds me of many hunters stating "they no longer are able" to use a climber, yet seem to have no problem placing & using ladder stands.

What is physically "hard" about using a Summit climbing stand?
(Yes, it does take @ 5 to 10 minutes longer to climb to a comparable or greater height.)

There is an "art" to learning to do it quietly, but I will argue it can be "easier" than the climbing of many ladder stands. I'd even say I can consistently climb up "quieter" with a climber than can be done in most metal ladder stands (they tend to have loud weight-shifting metallic "pops" on the be best cold mornings).

I wear a full body harness while using a climber, so I'm "secure" at all times.
How is this not safer than the typical use of ladder stands, particularly the erection of a ladder stand?

If you want to see danger on steroids, take a look at any the ladder stands with the extremely narrow ladders (so narrow only one foot can be on a rung at a time). IMO, they are extremely (comparatively) dangerous, not just to climb/descend, but to place or remove.
Imo a ladder stand is so much easier than a climber. Alot more involved to hauling a stand up a ridge every morning. Ive used climbers since I was 13 years old (41 now) and in the last 10 years I find myself placing ladder stands more often. Imo they Are just easier .
I bought all the stuff to saddle hunt but I ain't made it in a tree yet. I'm guessing it will be a ladder or the ole summit this year as well

Latest posts