Good Ole Summit Viper

UTGrad

I got bit by the mobile hunting bug a few years back and hunted a bunch with a LW Assault and sticks. It certainly has its advantages in places. I was so committed to my stand and sticks, I got to where I was setting up in places where a perfectly climbable tree with a climber was right next to me.

Well I'm going back to my roots and getting the Summit Viper out when I want to hunt mobile. I've killed lots of deer out of a Viper and places I hunt I can find a climbable tree. There is nothing more comfortable than the seat in a Summit Viper.

Anyone else still a climber or has everyone gone to saddle hunting? Lol.

UTGrad

I just ordered a summit open shot. I love my viper but there weee times I hated the railin front of me. I hope I like the open shot

I had an Open Shot. Lots of folks like them. I've never had the front rail on a Viper be an issue on a bow shot. I adjust the buckles on the Viper seat so the seat sits higher. I do stand to shoot out of the Viper but that's honestly never been an issue. If I planned on shooting sitting down the Open Shot is the ticket. I preferred the seat of the Viper and the rail makes a great place to rest a bow, rifle or an elbow shooting a rifle. The rail is a multi-function tool IMO.

Last edited:

DRSJ35

I use a summit viper SD the aluminum one. I have the steel one I hunted out of for many years. The comfort is certainly unmatched. And at 19 pounds and the military molle straps and kidney belt it feels like it weighs half that.

Rakkin6

I use a Summit Goliath and love it. I am a crossbow/shotgun slug hunter I actually use the add on gun rest you can raise or lower. You are right they are super comfortable, I have taken a "nap" or two in mine during all day sits. Saddle hunting does seem interesting but it seems to be more suited to lightly pressured public areas where you may move a couple times a day. Honestly where I hunt you pretty much need to stay in the same general vicinity all day.

Lost Lake

I use my climbers quite a bit during bow season. They also allow me to fine tune stand placement when deciding if the area is worth the work of putting up a hang-on.

On Public, they are all that I use.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Been using a climber for almost 30 years and plan to continue as long as I am able.
As "long as you are able" reminds me of many hunters stating "they no longer are able" to use a climber, yet seem to have no problem placing & using ladder stands.

What is physically "hard" about using a Summit climbing stand?
(Yes, it does take @ 5 to 10 minutes longer to climb to a comparable or greater height.)

There is an "art" to learning to do it quietly, but I will argue it can be "easier" than the climbing of many ladder stands. I'd even say I can consistently climb up "quieter" with a climber than can be done in most metal ladder stands (they tend to have loud weight-shifting metallic "pops" on the be best cold mornings).

I wear a full body harness while using a climber, so I'm "secure" at all times.
How is this not safer than the typical use of ladder stands, particularly the erection of a ladder stand?

If you want to see danger on steroids, take a look at any the ladder stands with the extremely narrow ladders (so narrow only one foot can be on a rung at a time). IMO, they are extremely (comparatively) dangerous, not just to climb/descend, but to place or remove.

Mescalero

Love my Summit Viper. Been hunting out of it for 15 years. Changed the cables once. I agree with LBL. I have always felt more secure ascending and descending and sitting in it than any ladder stand.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
If you want to see danger on steroids, take a look at any the ladder stands with the extremely narrow ladders (so narrow only one foot can be on a rung at a time). IMO, they are extremely (comparatively) dangerous, not just to climb/descend, but to place or remove.
I have one of those stands up that I need to pull and just get it gone, I absolutely hate the thing. Never would have bought it if I had realized the rungs were that narrow. Haven't hunted it in the last couple of years because of that.

Volbuck777

Have had one for 15 years and bought a used one for backup from a member here about 4 months ago. I hunt pre hangs quite a bit more these days but I'll never get rid of my summit.

jlanecr500

I use my Viper sd for early season where I'm not wearing a coat and in places that I can pack it in days before hunting deep or for short walks in. The larger one is used late season and in Florida where it is easier to pack it due to flat terrain. I have a set of wheels for summit climbers that allow the stand to be pulled like a cart and if needed, turned into a deer cart.

I useca Q-safe tree strap when climbing. It is much faster than a standard tree strap. https://www.blindedhunting.com/qsafe

I typically find myself using the Millennium Tree Seat. Talk about sleeping. It easily edges out the summit imo.

Last edited: