Good Ole Summit Viper

ImThere

I want one of the summits with the zero gravity seat I think it's a Sentry? Idk. I hunt out of what ever gets me in the tree I need to be in. Mostly saddle hunt but I would run up a ladder stand or hunt a climber in a second without a thought.
My only way to hunt right this second is a saddle or my tripod stand. Catman has my old api loc on and sticks still. Lol. Sold all my ladders, loc ons and climbers a few years back.

Bone Collector

I got bit by the mobile hunting bug a few years back and hunted a bunch with a LW Assault and sticks. It certainly has its advantages in places. I was so committed to my stand and sticks, I got to where I was setting up in places where a perfectly climbable tree with a climber was right next to me.

Well I'm going back to my roots and getting the Summit Viper out when I want to hunt mobile. I've killed lots of deer out of a Viper and places I hunt I can find a climbable tree. There is nothing more comfortable than the seat in a Summit Viper.

Anyone else still a climber or has everyone gone to saddle hunting? Lol.
I have a summit whatever the biggest one is. it is basically an over sized viper, which is what I had previously. I climb during bow season and will climb some during ML and gun, but a lot of the places we hunt the later 2 segments have ladder stands up.

BSK

When they first came out, I had climbers and used them extensively. They were a "wonder of modern technology" for the time, and opened up many, MANY hunting opportunities. But anyone who thinks climbers - even the best of todays models - are quieter and easier to use than a prepositioned ladder stand needs to have their head examined.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I have the Summit Broadhead SS climber. It is aluminum and does not have the shooting rail. It is easy to climb and comfortable. I've had it a long time and used it more when I was hunting public land. I still use it at times on private land even though I have a couple of ladder stands set up.

The hardest part for me is to get up on the stand due to arthritis in the knees which limits a little movement when bending. I think I'll had a strap for stepping up onto the platform from the ground; especially when the lower part of the tree trunk is much thicker than the remainder of the the tree.

TheLBLman

But anyone who thinks climbers - even the best of todays models - are quieter and easier to use than a prepositioned ladder stand needs to have their head examined.
Let me clarify :)

"Ease" is a matter of total perspective & opinion.
"Quieter" may depend on the skills of the user.
Someone who hasn't been regularly using a climbing stand,
will have poor user skills, therefore may be biased against climbing stands.

Having a large number of ladder stands to inventory, service, and move around at least annually can be a time-consumptive task outside deer season. For me, it has become much "easier" to reduce all the time (and risks) of doing this.

I can typically relocate, both quieter & easier, a climbing stand than a ladder stand.
I can also do it more safely than how most users utilize ladder stands, seeming to have a false sense of security.

I do annually utilize ladder stands, they have their pros & cons.
I also utilize hang-ons, tripods, large permanent boxes, pop-up blinds, you name it. I use them all every season. But the climbers get the most of my time, as for me, they generally end up having the better balance of safety and hunting opportunity over the other types.

For certain, once in place, ladder stands are very convenient for "easy" quick entry & exit.
But I've yet to see a metal one that didn't at times loudly "pop" from weight shifting, particularly on a great cold morning (usually while climbing). Loud metallic sound has, imo, ruined many opportunities, to the point I particularly avoid using metal ladder stands on cold, still mornings.

Since (once in place) ladder stands are quicker (and easier) to hunt, they also tend to get hunted more often, actually often over-hunted. Over the years my conclusion has become that one of the best ways to ruin a good spot has been to place a ladder stand there, as they will most usually cause that spot to be over-hunted.

The only practical way to mitigate this may be by having a large number of ladder stands relative to the acreage, you know, like 100 ladder stands on a few hundred acres. Now we come back to the issue of annually "servicing" those 100 ladder stands. It's often been much "easier" for me to just use a climber. Safer & quieter, too :)

I suspect The BSK's climbing days were with the original "Baker" climber? :D
Those were extremely dangerous compared to anything we're doing today,
and nothing "easy" or quiet about them.

Last edited:

BSK

I used climbing stands almost exclusively for years (and I still have my Summit Viper). Setting them up, climbing and adjusting them to the end location, requires MUCH more effort, time, and noise than quickly and silently climbing a ladder stand.

PickettSFHunter

I have a viper but anymore it just goes to places that I hunt several times in a row that aren't very much of a haul, stays on the tree for a few weeks once it's there. I hate carrying that thing in most of the places I hunt due to the elevation gains with the weight and bulk.

deerfever

I have two vipers , they are definitely the best climbing stand I have ever owned. That seat will make the eyes heavy if your not careful. I tend to stand most of the time when I hunt anyways , just a habit I guess but man when I do sit down the thing is comfortable!

UTGrad

I want one of the summits with the zero gravity seat I think it's a Sentry? Idk. I hunt out of what ever gets me in the tree I need to be in. Mostly saddle hunt but I would run up a ladder stand or hunt a climber in a second without a thought.
My only way to hunt right this second is a saddle or my tripod stand. Catman has my old api loc on and sticks still. Lol. Sold all my ladders, loc ons and climbers a few years back.

Whats funny and kinda sad, I was so committed to mobile hunting with a lightweight set up I sold my previous Summit Viper. The next season I started to take a serious inventory of where I was hunting and if there was a significant benefit not using a climber and the answer was no. I am pretty good with a stand and sticks and did all the DIY Sportsman mods. I still can get in my climber and go faster up a tree by a couple minutes and it's more comfortable when I'm up there.

TheLBLman

I used climbing stands almost exclusively for years (and I still have my Summit Viper). Setting them up, climbing and adjusting them to the end location, requires MUCH more effort, time, and noise than quickly and silently climbing a ladder stand.
I'm telling you from lots of experience, it's really not that much more effort or time, just requires using frequently to get it all down pat :)

Few things are more frustrating to me than very carefully & quietly walking to a pre-placed ladder stand on a perfect morning, pre-dawn, with deer all around, maybe thinking I'm just a big racoon, they're not alarmed by my coming thru, then about half-way up the ladder, there is this loud metallic "pop". Every deer within hundreds of yards has now been spooked.

This also happens with some tripod and box stands as well, but metal ladder stands are the worst.

By contrast, scratching a little bark with a climbing stand doesn't seem to spook deer. But metallic sounds and the tearing apart of velcro will sure spook any that hear it.

Did I ever mention I hate velcro with a passion? :D
And it's often hard to find top-end hunting clothing without it!
It gets removed and replaced with rubber buttons.

muddyboots

No telling how many times I'm going up the tree in my summit and deer come by. If I had to pick between ladder stand in a good spot or summit in the right spot I'll take summit everytime. I can get it in and set up quietly. I just prefer climbers. I can get exactly where I want. If I can't I use a different type of stand. I need to try a millennium tree seat if they beat a summit. That's for sure.

TheLBLman

I need to try a millennium tree seat if they beat a summit. That's for sure.
I have all the Millennium products, and these seats are comfortable, maybe even more comfortable than sitting in a summit climber's seat. But the tree seat being referenced is usually used at ground level, or, attached right above the seat of a ladder stand for improving comfort.

As to how it works, it is the same "seat" Millennium uses in most their stands (with exception to some of their smaller hang-on stands).

Hymie3

I hunted summit viper til someone stole mine a few years back. Loved it. Started hunting ladders which I do like but they are noisy and hard to move easily. Ended up getting an academy copy of of a summit and it scares me bad. Slips and is generally uncomfortable. I'm headed to the store to get another summit this week.

BubbaGoneWild

I just ordered a summit open shot. I love my viper but there weee times I hated the railin front of me. I hope I like the open shot
I Bow hunt all the time with my open shot. You will love it. Very light very compact. I carry mine all the time in with me 1 to 2 miles in with ease

Buzzard Breath

I got bit by the mobile hunting bug a few years back and hunted a bunch with a LW Assault and sticks. It certainly has its advantages in places. I was so committed to my stand and sticks, I got to where I was setting up in places where a perfectly climbable tree with a climber was right next to me.

Well I'm going back to my roots and getting the Summit Viper out when I want to hunt mobile. I've killed lots of deer out of a Viper and places I hunt I can find a climbable tree. There is nothing more comfortable than the seat in a Summit Viper.

Anyone else still a climber or has everyone gone to saddle hunting? Lol.
Same thing for me. I too am going back to mainly using a climber. I still have a few setups where my sticks and Assault will be used, but I'll be hunting out of a Summit climber for the most part. Bow season will be from an Open Shot because I alternate between a compound and recurve. The lack of a bar makes it easier to maneuver my recurve around for left and right shots. During gun season it will be the Viper, for sure.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Use my viper mostly during bow season. I typically use ladders that have been in place for years during gun season, but will put up the viper if I notice deer movement elsewhere.

east_tn_gk

I generally use my Summit Viper, especially traveling. We use hang-ons & ladder stands at a private farm we hunt. They all have their place. I thought about buying one of those Mini-Vipers Summit came out with, until I realized they are made in China. I'll keep my old Summits, but will be looking at other USA made brands for the future.

Latest posts