Fort Campbell 2021

medwc

Are the Hornady XTP the same has the SST slugs?
Ummm... I just thought he meant FTX as I have seen it labeled as such. FTX is the slug used in the SST. Or maybe he has older rounds that were called XTP. lol...

Rakkin6

Ummm... I just thought he meant FTX as I have seen it labeled as such. FTX is the slug used in the SST. Or maybe he has older rounds that were called XTP. lol...
Lol Hornady does make an XTP round but I couldn't find it in slugs just muzzleloaders. And I knew that they made the FTX (flex tip eXpanding) in the SST. Maybe they used to make these for their sabot slugs also.

Screenshot_20210813-023108~2.png

Antler Daddy

SST....I've got 220 sighted for 2 inches high at 100. Both loads shoot well. We've killed deer with both the full load and Lite. The lite definitely has less recoil and is basically all the same out to 150. I prefer to use it vs. the smokeless one shot. I think I do shoot the XTP bullet in smokeless because I got 4 boxes with my gun.

SST has put down 5 bucks 132-178 lbs dressed from 25-75 yards. 2 dropped like an anvil, 2 ran up to 60 yards with no hearts, and one spine shot needed a second round but by golly we got him.

I started shooting it because it was the only brand in stock at Academy. I found the lite loads at a great little hunting store in Bolivar and I have since been able to find plenty in stock at Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Field and Stream. I also got 5 boxes from Midway last fall.

I do need to shoot soon. It was unusual for my son to not hit a buck in the boiler room. I also picked up a second compact 220. I may put it in a Boyd's thumbhole now kids getting older. I'm 6 ft but I really have not had any problem shooting the compact version.

medwc

I started shooting it because it was the only brand in stock at Academy. I found the lite loads at a great little hunting store in Bolivar and I have since been able to find plenty in stock at Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Field and Stream. I also got 5 boxes from Midway last fall.
Rural King,,,, I haven't been down there in a long time but years past, before covid, they had stacks of SSTs all year long(mostly 12 ga but a lot of 20 ga too). Lately I have been seeing SSTs online too. Seems to be the thing to shoot right now if the 220 likes them.

str8arrow

I just renewed my hunting license and permits for Ft Campbell. I haven't hunted there since the 90's. So we will see how it works out! I hope I'm not reminded of why I quit hunting there long ago! Things appear different now- We will see!

Roost 1

I just renewed my hunting license and permits for Ft Campbell. I haven't hunted there since the 90's. So we will see how it works out! I hope I'm not reminded of why I quit hunting there long ago! Things appear different now- We will see!
You will prolly find it worse these days. The new crowd has no respect for others because after all "it's public land hunting."

deerfever

It's so hard to get a slot to hunt no wonder it's quite ! I get cracked up every time someone buys a permit and thinks that means they get to hunt. I have hunted it for years but in recent years I can count on one hand the number of days I have gotten to hunt. There are simply not many slots for civilians. I am not complaining as our military should get priority ,just stating the facts. Good luck trying to get in for a day!

CBuck37

2-Step Enabled
Areas are out! Any bets on how long it will take isportsman to yugo the bed Friday night? Good luck to all who get a spot!

Latest posts