Federal TSS Ammo

UpperTully

TheLBLman":1uwv2zij said:
UpperTully":1uwv2zij said:
I wonder who next to offer TSS loads. Winchester, Remington, Kent, Hevi-Shot?
I believe Federal recognized, cornered, and will dominate this market for years to come.
Federal already has a following in the far "superior than lead" market, especially in the fast growing 20 ga. market.

Don't see Remington doing anything like this at all.
Winchester HAD a good HTL load (the Win. Extended Range) which they quit producing
before thay started offering their Longbeard line.

If either Winchester or Hevi began offering a true TSS load,
it would cost them sales in their existing turkey offerings which remain popular.
Of course, I can see Federal's new TSS taking much of that away as well.
Suspect Winchester will continue just pushing their Longbeard line,
while Remington should just quit offering turkey loads.

Hard to say what Hevi might do,
but don't see Kent as a major player.

Of these majors, Federal was and is in the best position to do this profitably.
Should another major do it, might be a losing proposition for them.
Snooze you loose, and Federal was the only major to get ahead of the curve.

I agree with your remarks.

I bet the next big move Federal will make will be TSS Waterfowl loads.

UpperTully

TheLBLman":3hu46sfl said:
SKFOOTER":3hu46sfl said:
That could cause APEX to lower their prices to compete! :tu:
Agree.
But is their profit margin enough that they could stay in business
if it is reduced and their sales volume simultaneously decreases?

One thing is for sure, Apex don't have the facilities Federal does. You can only do so much loading ammo in a small shop behind a house.

I doubt they are buying TSS in bulk form and as cheap as Federal.

TheLBLman

UpperTully":g6uzszbd said:
My initial thought was that could be cost prohibitive for most hunters.
Waterfowl hunters often shoot more rounds in a day than turkey hunters do in 2 seasons.

But, from Federal's view,
it would take but a small percentage of waterfowl hunters to buy TSS before they would sell more waterfowl than turkey shells.
So your bet may be a good one.

Might also be opportunity for a duplex load of say #7 TSS mixed in with steel shot.
That might provide a very superior to steel load while still not costing so much more than steel.

UpperTully

PickettSFHunter":2e0hnxky said:
I bet they kill Apex with those prices. Apex also wants a ridiculous amount for shipping. Federal won't have that issue.

I'm not sure how much shipping would be for you, but for me, its basically 10 bucks for one box from Columbus to Memphis via Fedex Ground.

UpperTully

TheLBLman":itihroml said:
UpperTully":itihroml said:
Might also be opportunity for a duplex load of say #7 TSS mixed in with steel shot.
That might provide a very superior to steel load while still not costing so much more than steel.

Duplex TSS/Steel loads are the way to go from what I've read from guys rolling their own for duck and goose hunting.

It wouldn't take but one or two #9 or #10 TSS shot to kill a duck stone cold dead.

With that said, I bet you will start seeing a demand for 28ga and 410's by duck hunters.

Bet Federal introduces something before next duck season or at SHOT show.

PickettSFHunter

UpperTully":23lgw58q said:
PickettSFHunter":23lgw58q said:
I bet they kill Apex with those prices. Apex also wants a ridiculous amount for shipping. Federal won't have that issue.

I'm not sure how much shipping would be for you, but for me, its basically 10 bucks for one box from Columbus to Memphis via Fedex Ground.
my estimate on their site was like 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpperTully

PickettSFHunter":4gkeyjwe said:
UpperTully":4gkeyjwe said:
PickettSFHunter":4gkeyjwe said:

my estimate on their site was like 17.

Holy crap! That's crazy!

rbreedi1

Just FYI, got my Cabela' s turkey catalog today and it shows the TSS loads have a $5 rebate which brings the 410 load to $20.99, 20 gauge loads to $26.99, 12 gauge 3.5 inch to $42.99 and 3 inch to $32.99

REN

my only issue with federal is the wad. it really limits your choke options AND they are notorious for making small changes from year to year which brings you right back to the LOT# crazy for years in the heavyweights. all in all makes no difference to me cause I enjoy just rolling my own

rbreedi1

REN":3ol63idw said:
my only issue with federal is the wad. it really limits your choke options AND they are notorious for making small changes from year to year which brings you right back to the LOT# crazy for years in the heavyweights. all in all makes no difference to me cause I enjoy just rolling my own

It's got a new wad that's supposedly good with all chokes ported or not, so we can't knock the wad just yet.

Goodtimekiller

UpperTully":a5t8fpgk said:
TheLBLman":a5t8fpgk said:
UpperTully":a5t8fpgk said:

Duplex TSS/Steel loads are the way to go from what I've read from guys rolling their own for duck and goose hunting.

It wouldn't take but one or two #9 or #10 TSS shot to kill a duck stone cold dead.

With that said, I bet you will start seeing a demand for 28ga and 410's by duck hunters.

Bet Federal introduces something before next duck season or at SHOT show.

I'm tryin to get some 28ga for turkey!

Latest posts