Eating smallmouth (catman) or anyone else

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
wobblegobble's thread made me wonder and I didn't wanna hijack....

I ate a few largemouth bass a few years ago when I got my boat and started cleaning and eating alot more fish.
I honestly didn't care for them much at all.

I was just curious how a smallmouth tastes compared to a largemouth?
Not that I fish anywhere that they even exist, I was just curious.

rukiddin

To me, smallies are a very good fish and really don't taste like a lmb at all. Eat quite a few and I'll take'em any chance I can get.

Aquaholic

Went on a Walleye trip in Canada years ago...caught Smallmouth for a shore lunch...very tasty...caught a nice one a week or so ago around here....Yum....

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

wobblegobble

I'd rather have smallmouth over Largemouth, it's very very good. Most frown on eating em and say eat crappie but I don't crappie fish. Everyone is now the next KVD, HECK there is a tournament nearly every evening and weekend on the 4 lakes I fish,Tims Ford,Guntersville,Woods, and Normandy.

catman529

Way better than largemouth.

I think the best way to cook them is blackened on a real hot skillet. Chef Paul's blackened seasoning and butter is all you need.

Or you can grill fillets with the skin on, and add blackened or whatever seasoning you want.

You can also deep fry it like any other fish, nothing is bad deep fried.

If you catch one full of eggs then bread and fry the egg sacs too, they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

wobblegobble":2xsy0qxs said:
I'd rather have smallmouth over Largemouth, it's very very good. Most frown on eating em and say eat crappie but I don't crappie fish. Everyone is now the next KVD, HECK there is a tournament nearly every evening and weekend on the 4 lakes I fish,Tims Ford,Guntersville,Woods, and Normandy.
you ever catch many smallmouth on Normandy? It looks like it would be good but i haven't caught but maybe 1 small one. Lots of spotted bass though

Tennessee280

If you catch one full of eggs then bread and fry the egg sacs too, they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

ive been cleaning all these crappie ive heard you talk about eating the egg sacs before and been wanting to try it... Any particular way you go about it?

wobblegobble

catman529":3tij4pa3 said:
wobblegobble":3tij4pa3 said:
you ever catch many smallmouth on Normandy? It looks like it would be good but i haven't caught but maybe 1 small one. Lots of spotted bass though

Yes, but Woods and Tims Ford have way more smallmouth. I catch more smallmouth than lg mouth on Tims Ford

Hollar Hunter

Like everybody's said big difference in smallies vs largemouth. Smallmouth is one of the best around for eating especially in cold water.

catman529

wobblegobble":3stmku3q said:
catman529":3stmku3q said:
wobblegobble":3stmku3q said:

Yes, but Woods and Tims Ford have way more smallmouth. I catch more smallmouth than lg mouth on Tims Ford
I've heard good about tims ford smallmouth

rsimms

I can honestly say I've never eaten a smallmouth (but don't blame anyone who does eat the legal ones). I just like catching them so much, I've never been able to bring myself to put a knife in one.

If I ever make one of those Canada trips where you catch them like bluegill, I'd love to give them a try.

Spurhunter

rsimms":wj6kznbh said:
If I ever make one of those Canada trips where you catch them like bluegill, I'd love to give them a try.

A friend of mine went to Oregon and fished with a childhood friend for a week. He said smallmouth were exactly as you describe them. Sometimes you would get bit or hook up on every cast. He sent me a pic with a livewell full they were taking home for supper. It left me with nightmares. :tu:

catman529

Spurhunter":1azkarjb said:
rsimms":1azkarjb said:

A friend of mine went to Oregon and fished with a childhood friend for a week. He said smallmouth were exactly as you describe them. Sometimes you would get bit or hook up on every cast. He sent me a pic with a livewell full they were taking home for supper. It left me with nightmares. :tu:
no nightmares if you have eaten em :tu:

Lot of creeks around middle TN loaded with 10-20 inch fish and it never hurts to bring one or two home.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Would this one work ? Lol
7466ef8b7da64823f3eb2bf3bbd7efe7.jpg

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

X-Tennessean

Tennessee280":26jncio0 said:

ive been cleaning all these crappie ive heard you talk about eating the egg sacs before and been wanting to try it... Any particular way you go about it?[/quote]

The key is not busting the sac while cleaning the fish.
If you strictly fillet is pretty much a given your gonna bust the egg sac or for me anyways!!
If you scale then gut, just batter them in the same batter you are using for the fish!!
They dont take long at all, merely seconds to cook. They will float once done.

rukiddin

X-Tennessean":2khjpl0t said:
Tennessee280":2khjpl0t said:

ive been cleaning all these crappie ive heard you talk about eating the egg sacs before and been wanting to try it... Any particular way you go about it?

The key is not busting the sac while cleaning the fish.
If you strictly fillet is pretty much a given your gonna bust the egg sac or for me anyways!!
If you scale then gut, just batter them in the same batter you are using for the fish!!
They dont take long at all, merely seconds to cook. They will float once done.[/quote]

Yeah, my grandma would always keep the egg sacks out of bluegills, crappie and bass. Fry'em up just like the fish. There great. I still keep'em to this day and it freaks out a lot of people.......until they try them!!

Biggun4214

RUGER":20g603d0 said:
Would this one work ? Lol
7466ef8b7da64823f3eb2bf3bbd7efe7.jpg

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

You must have had the camera turned backwards. Usually the fish is bigger than the fisherman.

Latest posts