Drones, unbelievable

AT Hiker

Ran across a YouTube video of a drone deer recovery. Simply unbelievable, the drone dude has, is like something straight out of the special forces. Admittedly, I'm pretty ignorant on drone technology, but I sure didn't realize the average Joe, with a high credit card limit could purchase a drone that detects body heat and can switch immediately to a 4k video image of said thermal detection. They even track the drones movement so they dont overlap grids.

I think it's an amazing tool to help in game recovery but no doubt this could be abused. I know western states have banned drone use for scouting, I just had no clue these drones were so technologically advanced.

Last edited:

Skinnyindian

I saw this last week. Completely blew my mind. i immediately looked the price of their drone. Ouch. Too steep for me but the technology is amazing.

Boone25/06

15-20k investment but crazy awesome
He charges $450 to come out +$100 for a recovery. Added cost per extra mile traveled past a certain distance to location. They have one that is 1/3 the price with same thermal camera on it but it cannot fly in rain and the regular camera isn't as good at night identification.
Same guy came to TN to find a bloodhound that had gotten loose on a track and tangled up in the woods over night. He even can record a siren sound on drone and play it from the air loud. He tried it to get the dog to bark to help locate.

Union Co. Boy

Been watching some of these videos for a few weeks. I've seen a few times I would have liked to have had access to that over the years. I definitely don't want to see it abused, but if it leads to more wounded deer being recovered then I'm all for it!

Boone25/06

The biggest problem I can see with this is the very large percentage of wounded and not going to die from the shot deer. Lots of temptation to go finish off the deer that otherwise would survive. Then it becomes more of a hunting tool than recovery tool. Don't know the exact regulations on that but I can only guess that would be a violation. If doing it for the public I would definitely have a contract drawn up that after deer is located my part is done have no part in the physical recovery however that takes place. Signed by customer before drone leaves ground.

ROB

I know the guy whose blookhound he found. A guy shot a monster buck within a bow but the blood trail played out so he called the guy with the bloodhound. While tracking the buck, the bloodhound slipped his lead & was gone. ( He wasn't wearing a GPS collar. ) After searching for a day, bad weather was moving in & they called the dude who owns the drone w/ the thermal cam. It didn't take long until they found the bloodhound hung up in a brush pile 2-3 miles from where he got loose. Ironically, in looking for the bloodhound they also found the buck.

Huntaholic

Ive been telling my buddy that runs a pawn shop to GET US ONE! He gets high end drones sometimes but he ends up selling them because we dont know how to use it.
He of all people, should want one! He has lost 2 great bucks in Texas in the last few years, only one of which was eventually recovered just by blind luck. In most places down there the mesquite is maybe 15 ft tall but between it, the yucca, several kinds of cactus and junipers, it can be impossible to get through. A drone would REALLY help!

rem270

I know the guy whose blookhound he found. A guy shot a monster buck within a bow but the blood trail played out so he called the guy with the bloodhound. While tracking the buck, the bloodhound slipped his lead & was gone. ( He wasn't wearing a GPS collar. ) After searching for a day, bad weather was moving in & they called the dude who owns the drone w/ the thermal cam. It didn't take long until they found the bloodhound hung up in a brush pile 2-3 miles from where he got loose. Ironically, in looking for the bloodhound they also found the buck.
I followed the story on the bloodhound when they posted it and was glad when they posted they found it. I didn't know they had found the deer also, that's awesome. Shows that dog wasn't giving up.

BSK

My question is, in cold temperatures, how long would a dead deer be warmer than the environment? In essence, warm enough to display a thermal signal? I bet not long. How long is it going to take the drome operator to get there?

JCDEERMAN

My question is, in cold temperatures, how long would a dead deer be warmer than the environment? In essence, warm enough to display a thermal signal? I bet not long. How long is it going to take the drome operator to get there?
Longer than you think. I have a thermal and can see guts from a deer out on our powerline for hours after putting them out there in the cold. My guess would be about 8 hours. Think about this, I can see my dogs pile of dung in the yard for atleast an hour in the cold. It weighs about 1/4 lb? Compare that to a 200+lb animal.

DMD

I agree. How long would you guess there is enough thermal heat for the drone to pick up on a 20 degree day?

I found this online -

BODY TEMPERATURE

The average living human being has a body temperature of 98.6 degrees F. However, when a person dies, their body begins to cool by about 1-2 degrees every hour. Eventually, the body's temperature will equal the room's ambient temperature.

But...of course, a body would cool faster in cold weather conditions.