Drones, unbelievable

DMD

Longer than you think. I have a thermal and can see guts from a deer out on our powerline for hours after putting them out there in the cold. My guess would be about 8 hours. Think about this, I can see my dogs pile of dung in the yard for atleast an hour in the cold. It weighs about 1/4 lb? Compare that to a 200+lb animal.
That would be great tool for cleaning up after your dog crapped:p 😅 😅 I think I'll get my neighbor one 😅🤔

JCDEERMAN

Why was he speaking Pig Latin?
Not sure what was going on with that. I'll tell you what, it's a pet peeve of mine. If I'm watching something and a foreign language enters the mix….BYE BYE. This one really had me going - a foreign language explaining something to do with deer???? WTF I about lost it 🤣.

I was watching a YT video the other day on a tractor we are looking at purchasing. The dude was going over the tractor controls in a foreign language. Screw this - I about threw my phone 🤣

TNTreeman

Not sure what was going on with that. I'll tell you what, it's a pet peeve of mine. If I'm watching something and a foreign language enters the mix….BYE BYE. This one really had me going - a foreign language explaining something to do with deer???? WTF I about lost it 🤣.

I was watching a YT video the other day on a tractor we are looking at purchasing. The dude was going over the tractor controls in a foreign language. Screw this - I about threw my phone 🤣
I was joking about the pig Latin . I was thinking it was some sort of Amish / Mennonite type talk I've heard them use when they talk to their kids. I hear you on the foreign language thing, irritating. I can barely understand English.

Planking

I can see the poachers parking their vehicles in the street and scanning everyones else's property with this like they are doing with the handhelds.

BSK

Longer than you think. I have a thermal and can see guts from a deer out on our powerline for hours after putting them out there in the cold. My guess would be about 8 hours. Think about this, I can see my dogs pile of dung in the yard for atleast an hour in the cold. It weighs about 1/4 lb? Compare that to a 200+lb animal.
You shoot a deer just before dark. You can't find it. Drone guy can't be there until mid-day the next day. It's 25 degrees that night. I bet all thermal signal is gone by mid-day the next day, or even the morning for that matter.

I have no problem with technology like this being used to find a dead deer that would otherwise be lost. But finding the deer still alive, and using this technology to go after him, is way beyond fair chase.

JCDEERMAN

You shoot a deer just before dark. You can't find it. Drone guy can't be there until mid-day the next day. It's 25 degrees that night. I bet all thermal signal is gone by mid-day the next day, or even the morning for that matter.

I have no problem with technology like this being used to find a dead deer that would otherwise be lost. But finding the deer still alive, and using this technology to go after him, is way beyond fair chase.
By that time, completely agree.

As far as the ethics of it, I'm against most all of it, because all it will do is open up new doors. Doors that need to be kept locked

Bone Collector

yeah they are cool and they would be a great tool for recovery, but 100% be used in hunting. Dude sitting in a stand would use it to watch other parts of the farm and could make a move if the right situation occurred.

gtk

Staff member
Agree. As you know, deer are tough critters and can survive some major trauma On one hand, a person may be ending prolong suffering for an animal, but on the other hand, they may be "cheating" to get a deer that otherwise would recoup just fine.

Same thing about these bay dogs/tracking dogs here in MS. I've seen countless times a marginally hit deer was tracked, bayed, and held until the hunter puts another bullet in him, where if the bay dog hadn't of caught the deer, it almost definitely would have survived.

Where is the cutoff between ethical and unethical? Not everyone has the same view of what's ethical and what's not.

Ski

If you see some more of the videos, that is exactly what happens. He locates wounded deer and gives coordinates to the hunter. Wounded isn't dead so IMO it's using the technology to hunt, and that crosses the line for me. If you shot a deer and screwed up then the deer should be given fair chance at surviving. If you can track it down and get another shot then that's great. But using a drone to locate it so you can get another shot is despicable to me.

Ski

Where is the cutoff between ethical and unethical? Not everyone has the same view of what's ethical and what's not.

From my perspective people generally all start with sharing similar ethics....until something unethical benefits them. The only time I see people relax their ethical standards is when it behooves them in some way. Then something that wasn't ok before now suddenly is, but only to the extent of the benefit. Any further is unethical again. The ethical goal post seems to have legs of its own.

Buzzard Breath

How would this be any different than people using cell cams to tell them when a deer is in their food plot? And, cell cams are a heck of a lot cheaper than these thermal drones. At least the price of these drones keeps the majority of us out of the game.

AT Hiker

How would this be any different than people using cell cams to tell them when a deer is in their food plot? And, cell cams are a heck of a lot cheaper than these thermal drones. At least the price of these drones keeps the majority of us out of the game.
Because you will have people say cell cams cannot do that, then of course, you will have people on this very forum tell you how they killed a deer because of the cell cam.

DaveTN

I love technology. Unfortunately, those of us that want technology when it first comes out pay the bill for those that follow. In a few years that thermal imaging will be standard and cost much less. But don't tell the rich guys that, they need to pay the way for the rest of us. 🤣

Ski

Cell cams give a snapshot of very specific spot. Drones are way different by live scanning an entire area, covering thousands of square yards in minutes.

That said, unless the deer is laid up wounded I don't see how a hunter could benefit much from knowing where a deer is at. Unless the deer is within rifle range in the wide open, and stays that way while you travel to it, a hunter isn't going to do much with the intel. I've hunted LOTS of bucks by attempting to sneak in close enough to their beds to get a shot, and it doesn't work. If I'm lucky enough to get an eye on them at all the only thing I see is the white flag in retreat. Otherwise they're long gone before I can get anywhere near. That's why I have my doubts about people who think a hunter can get a pic from a cell cam and run out & get the deer. I have zero faith that I'd be able to do that, and I fancy myself a fairly accomplished hunter. You'd have to be a stone cold ninja to sneak up on a mature buck. I'm not a ninja. I could, however, easily sneak up & shoot a wounded buck that is laid up healing .... if I knew where he was at.

DeerCamp

Yeah I was watching some of those videos last week. Amazing the technology. In one of the videos he mentioned the drone being in the neighborhood of $20k.
Between getting paid for the recovery, and youtube/merch income - it's an investment.

His videos are getting 100K plus views and he's relatively new to the game. That's $200-$300 per video, but could easily be a lot more if he picks up steam.

He's gonna make that 20K back in short order.

Plus he really seems to love it.

Figure in the offseason he has a lot of options: commercial drone videography (pays really well), Search and Rescue, finding lost pets, etc.

Buzzard Breath

That's why I have my doubts about people who think a hunter can get a pic from a cell cam and run out & get the deer.
I'm not trying to be argumentative. Judging by one of your posts above, #33, we pretty much see eye to eye on how the boundaries of ethics are being stretched. But, people are using cell cams to kill deer in real time.

Screenshot_20230202-115543_Chrome.jpg

Buzzard Breath

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I'm wanting TWRA to outlaw cell cams, drones, and whatever future technology shows up next, I'm not. With CWD spreading eastward across the state, I don't see TWRA wanting to reduce the deer kill in any manner. I just think it's a good idea, as hunters, that we have these conversations.