Unbelievable crop damage!

Mr.Bro

It's like this on the edges of most corn fields. Not eating the cob. Just the tops.

Attachments

• 20230806_073353.jpg
    20230806_073353.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 451

TNTreeman

I've planted late corn for the last 4 yrs and this year they have destroyed it. None may make it . Mines only 4-5 acres and they are eating the tops out of it. I put up a scarecrow yesterday and covered it in the stinkiest old lady perfume you can imagine and today when I pulled up there were two does and fawns out there wearing it out. It's not even knee high because of them eating it. First this has ever happened .

@fulldraw

Hungry deer will eat a lot of things they don't normally eat.
No reason these deer should be that hungry. It's predominantly agriculture land with pockets of hardwoods. What's odd is the corn appears to be fed on in one small patch in the pic. This patch isn't down by the woods either.

BSK

Odd. Now, Im just throwing guesses at it :)

Maybe some tender shoots/new growth up in the top of the plant they are picking out
Maybe its round-up ready corn and the salt left over from the spray "tastes good"
Maybe its a deer that just likes corn leaves :)

Crazy question, but is this RR corn? I ask because I was working in Mississippi and everyone knows down there that deer rarely eat cotton plants. However, the farmer planted RR cotton and the deer went crazy over it. Only thing I could figure was something different in the tase of the RR version.

Mr.Bro

Crazy question, but is this RR corn? I ask because I was working in Mississippi and everyone knows down there that deer rarely eat cotton plants. However, the farmer planted RR cotton and the deer went crazy over it. Only thing I could figure was something different in the tase of the RR version.
Pretty sure I don't have any idea what RR corn is or even the difference between regular field corn. Deer are eating it in spots on other farms I hunt. Just not to this degree.

Latest posts