Acorn crops and early activity

BSK

Same here. I never saw a swamp chestnut until I moved here to TN. Seems to be a southern tree. What folks call mountain chestnut grow all over the Appalachian range.
Correct. I generally only see Swamp Chestnut in the swampy areas along major river systems. I've seen quite a few in the partially flooded bottomlands of KY Lake.

Mountain Chestnut Oaks dominate the rockiest, worst soil ridge tops.

BSK

One of our guys that is hunting this week just text me & said whiteoaks are dropping in the hollows, Wayne CO.
We already have Whites dropping, but they are not the big mature ones. The trees are currently dropping what they can't carry to maturity. It's quite a few, but they are still partially green and undersized. Deer are eating them anyways.

wildlifefarmer

Definitely a bumper on the mountain chestnuts. Need a hard hat for sure. I found that the whites on top were more loaded than the whites in the bottoms, which I found a little odd.
Did you have acorns in the bottoms last year? Ridges were very dry last year and you prob had none. Add that drought with a late frost last spring I had no acorns. white oaks normally have annual production of acorns but when they don't they will usaually have a bumper crop the next. imo. This year is hard hat year in the woods

JCDEERMAN

Did you have acorns in the bottoms last year? Ridges were very dry last year and you prob had none. Add that drought with a late frost last spring I had no acorns. white oaks normally have annual production of acorns but when they don't they will usaually have a bumper crop the next. imo. This year is hard hat year in the woods
Completely agree. Last year was the first year in my lifetime that I found zero acorns - not one. The drought was that bad. And this is no small property. We're talking over 650 acres. So, hearing them fall this year is music to my ears - it's been essentially 2 years since I've heard that sound. 2021 had a good crop of them

AT Hiker

In NW Dickson County, my white oaks are dropping and the critters are wearing it out. Earliest I have ever seen it, this isn't some shedding of acorns either, looks like late October. The trees are still full of them as well.
Same with persimmons. Even our cattle are having a field day with the persimmons. Should be some fat n happy critters going into winter.

BSK

That seems to be the case wildlifefarmer. Zero acorns of any type at my place last year, and the Whites are making up for it this year.

BSK

In NW Dickson County, my white oaks are dropping and the critters are wearing it out. Earliest I have ever seen it, this isn't some shedding of acorns either, looks like late October. The trees are still full of them as well.
Same with persimmons. Even our cattle are having a field day with the persimmons. Should be some fat n happy critters going into winter.
Persimmons are pouring out of the trees in Nashville.

BSK,
IMO it's a given that big acorn crops produce earlier than usual, and more intense ruts.
My opinion is supported by 42 years of note taking as a student of the whitetail.

This should be a very good November!

BSK

BSK,
IMO it's a given that big acorn crops produce earlier than usual, and more intense ruts.
My opinion is supported by 42 years of note taking as a student of the whitetail.

This should be a very good November!
Yes, big acorn crops can produce earlier and more intense rutting activity, especially in the Southeast. However, this effect is more pronounced the more "acorn-driven" the local deer herd is. And by "acorn driven," I mean how important acorns are as a food source to that local deer herd. In a big agricultural region, acorns aren't as critical of a food source. However, in the big sections of hardwoods that stretch across several geographic regions of TN, the deer herds can be VERY acorn driven, hence the size and quality of the crop is a major player in rutting timing/intensity.

Wiley

Our Sawtooth acorns are dropping and as usual the deer are eating every one that hits the ground shortly after. The only bowhunter on my lease killed a decent 8 point Saturday evening that was coming to a Sawtooth. I have not ventured into the woods to check the white oaks.

BSK

Our Sawtooth acorns are dropping and as usual the deer are eating every one that hits the ground shortly after. The only bowhunter on my lease killed a decent 8 point Saturday evening that was coming to a Sawtooth. I have not ventured into the woods to check the white oaks.
If you are a bowhunter, plant some Sawtooth Oaks on your place! They are a gold mine for a brief period of time each year. They are a highly preferred acorn that drops earlier than the Whites, and are an absolute magnet for deer in mid to late September.

BSK...AGREE 100%. When I hunt ag areas I pay more attention to the "palateability" of the crop (green, yellow, brown) than acorn crop.

But in big hardwoods where I mostly frequent, acorn feed is KING.

I look for bottlenecks close to acorn flats.

white oaks early...then Red.

Dumbluck

I just posted something similar to this before coming across this post. I think it's going to be an exciting season, as I am seeing the same and I'm seeing very healthy deer compared to last year which has me really excited.

I already have red Oaks unloading their acorns which is rare to be this early. I do think if you don't get on a deer early, not to worry because I believe late season this year is going to be tremendous. I think most of the acorns in our area will be bad by then or eaten because they are dropping way early this year on my main farm.

Our sawtooth Oaks dropped a good 2 to 3 weeks early this year. They have 0 acorns left on the trees or ground. Chestnut Oaks also dropped extremely early and have 0 acorns left on the trees as well.

The only acorns I see holding are white Oaks/chinquapins.

Latest posts