way too early acorn report

BSK

We cut various oaks down over the weekend in order to add on to our pole barn. Every single variety was absolutely loaded!
That's a surprise considering how close we are geographically. We have virtually no red variety acorns at all.

With the recent wind storms, many, many branches are down at my place, so I had the opportunity to look at a lot of oak branches up close. I must have looked at 30 red oak variety branches and only found two acorns. The Whites are loaded (although we don't have many Post Oaks to look at).

BSK

Just curious, but do your deer eat them? If that's the tree I'm thinking of our deer wouldn't hardly eat them.
The only time I see deer eat Mountain Chestnut Oak acorns is when they first fall. At that time (mid-September), they are the only acorn on the ground. However, by late September the White Oak acorns start to fall and deer move to those, completely ignoring the Mountain Chestnut.

XCR-2

Just looked at some white oaks with the binos. Some have a decent amount and others look slim to none. I like it that way for the hunting aspect of things. Rhea county

JCDEERMAN

Just curious, but do your deer eat them? If that's the tree I'm thinking of our deer wouldn't hardly eat them.
Exactly what @BSK said. They certainly hammer them, but when more preferred species start dropping, they go to those. I know they hammer them early - can't tell you how many deer I've seen cracking and munching on those huge things. But when the others start dropping, I no longer pay attention to the MC's, although I'm sure they continue to eat them here and there.

BSK

Just looked at some white oaks with the binos. Some have a decent amount and others look slim to none. I like it that way for the hunting aspect of things. Rhea county
I agree. I think having a "moderate" crop aids hunting. Deer have to go look for a tree dropping instead of every tree dropping.

BSK

I've said previously that, in my area, I was not seeing any Red Oak acorns on the trees. Well, a big Red Oak snapped off at my place and I got to examine the entire treetop. I found a few acorns. So there will be a few Red Oak acorns, and finding them could be critically important for late November and early December hunting success.

Attachments

• Acorns2023b.jpg
    Acorns2023b.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts