Acorn crops and early activity

BSK

A plethora of research exists concerning acorn crops and deer activity. In areas where acorn production is a major player in herd health (called "acorn-driven" deer herds), bumper acorn crops are linked to higher levels of rubbing and scraping activity as well as earlier rubbing and scraping. In the Southeast, there are indications that breeding activity can be slightly earlier in a big acorn year. All of this comes back to energy intake and overall herd health. In a big acorn year, deer body condition is maximized and deer have a lot of extra energy to burn.

This year, with what appears to be a bumper acorn crop in my area, I'm noticing much earlier than normal scraping activity (already have multiple scrapes open), but I'm also seeing VERY early buck activity, such as pestering every doe they encounter. Normally, I don't see this until mid to late October, but in the last week, I picked up on trail-camera multiple instances of bucks chasing does. Most of this activity is in open areas, like food plots (very normal) but also chasing through the woods (abnormal for this time of year).

BuckWild

A plethora of research exists concerning acorn crops and deer activity. In areas where acorn production is a major player in herd health (called "acorn-driven" deer herds), bumper acorn crops are linked to higher levels of rubbing and scraping activity as well as earlier rubbing and scraping. In the Southeast, there are indications that breeding activity can be slightly earlier in a big acorn year. All of this comes back to energy intake and overall herd health. In a big acorn year, deer body condition is maximized and deer have a lot of extra energy to burn.

This year, with what appears to be a bumper acorn crop in my area, I'm noticing much earlier than normal scraping activity (already have multiple scrapes open), but I'm also seeing VERY early buck activity, such as pestering every doe they encounter. Normally, I don't see this until mid to late October, but in the last week, I picked up on trail-camera multiple instances of bucks chasing does. Most of this activity is in open areas, like food plots (very normal) but also chasing through the woods (abnormal for this time of year).
I'm right across the river from you and all the white oaks I've seen are absolutely loaded.

BSK

I'm right across the river from you and all the white oaks I've seen are absolutely loaded.
We already have a HUGE Mountain Chestnut Oak acorn crop on the ground. These are not preferred acorns by deer, but when they are the first acorn on the ground, deer will scarf them up until the Whites start to fall.

Hunter0678

We already have a HUGE Mountain Chestnut Oak acorn crop on the ground. These are not preferred acorns by deer, but when they are the first acorn on the ground, deer will scarf them up until the Whites start to fall.
Same for us on the plateau, turkeys are tearing up the chestnut oaks along with the deer picking through them too. Its been a week since I was up there but I will definitely be checking some scrape lines friday to see if any of ours are opened up. Also agree on the buck activity in food plots, had a nice 3.5 year old acting a fool for 45 min the other day pushing does around.

JCDEERMAN

I just want to go sit in the woods and listen to the acorns fall. It's been a while around here since anyone's heard such a thing.

I may move several cams to our scrape locations Saturday. I won't be back for a while. Will be interesting to see the sign that's out there already

Hduke86

I've been in the woods the pass couple of days and it's all mountain chestnut oak around me. It's crazy from one day to the next how many more are on the ground on the dirt road as I was walking in. Problem is it sounds like it's raining them EVERYWHERE.

redblood

Certainly seeing it. I had 7 bucks and 1 doe work a scent branch yesterday. Also seeing sime very aggressive early rubs

Attachments

• IMG_7105.png
    IMG_7105.png
    246 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7104.png
    IMG_7104.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6960.png
    IMG_6960.png
    447.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6959.png
    IMG_6959.png
    519 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6952.png
    IMG_6952.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6957.png
    IMG_6957.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7017.jpeg
    IMG_7017.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7045.png
    IMG_7045.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 77

rifle02

In my Woods the other day I saw those big Chestnut Oak acorns hitting the ground hard. They really thump when they hit. I was surprised to see that a number of them had already been eaten which is unusual. They are normally the last thing to be eaten. I only had a chance to be around a few White Oaks that were dropping and it was, meh,

BSK

I've been in the woods the pass couple of days and it's all mountain chestnut oak around me. It's crazy from one day to the next how many more are on the ground on the dirt road as I was walking in. Problem is it sounds like it's raining them EVERYWHERE.
Experienced the same thing out working yesterday. I bet an corn falls in hearing distance every one to two seconds.

bowhunterfanatic

Bet I had at least 15-20 pictures on this camera of a buck or bucks running and/or pestering does when I checked it over the weekend. Hunted it Sunday morning and the first deer that showed up was a doe who kept looking behind her. Sure enough a couple minute later here come 2 pretty 8 points who pestered the fire out of her for a couple of minutes before going back to feeding. I was amazed when I checked the camera because I've never seen it before anywhere near this early…then I remembered this thread.
1B236911-8EB7-4A1D-87C5-E64159C0715E.jpeg

BSK

The interesting thing is, my camera data still shows peak of breeding at the normal time during a bumper acorn crop. But the amount of chasing, pestering and scraping much earlier than normal persists in those big acorn years. Last time we had one in my area, 2021, scraping and chasing actually peaked during the second half of October (even more than in November), yet the peak of breeding at the normal time (mid-November in my area) was still very evident.

BSK

Below is a graph of scrape visits by older bucks (2 1/2+) caught on camera for 2020 and 2021 on the same property (same number of cameras on scrapes both years). 2020 was a moderate to poor acorn year. 2021 was a monster bumper acorn crop. Notice how much earlier and more intense scraping was in 2021 (bumper acorns) versus 2020 (moderate to poor acorns).

And I tell you what, the cyclic nature of scrape visits through the season really intrigues me. I have no idea why that happens.

Attachments

• OlderScrapes.jpg
    OlderScrapes.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts