Doggies versus Bammers

prstide

I can't disagree with this at all. This is why the college football championship is much more than the game on the field. It's better now that four teams get to play…better than two teams and better than just plain ole voting in the polls deciding. Football will always be much more subjective than other sports because there are so few games played and you can't have a best of seven series. Fans enjoy the bickering back and forth.
They need to get rid of the committee and go back to the computers. They can keep the playoff but the committee's methods of determining, what should be, the best 4 teams turns into "being fair", extremely inconsistent, and ever changing.
Take the bias out of it by letting the BCS computers pick the playoff teams.

LY

Problem was the BCS computers relied heavily on polls that were easily influenced by the large amount of sports writers coming from a certain region. The committee came into being to override and/or justify that.

Crow Terminator

Roll Tide!! They did what they had to do to be considered for the playoffs. Whether that gets them in the playoffs or not...they still did all they could do and I'm proud of em. The biggest things to me were: 1. The people having to eat crow for saying this team would be at least a 3 loss team this season. 2. Beating Tennessee. 3. Making Auburn fans cry.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Problem was the BCS computers relied heavily on polls that were easily influenced by the large amount of sports writers coming from a certain region. The committee came into being to override and/or justify that.
There will not be any way to eliminate the subjective aspect of selecting teams for the college football playoffs, unless they do something like the NFL or MLB does. All conference champions get in the playoffs plus a couple teams with best record using tiebreakers. Voting teams in is extremely biased.

BamaProud

They need to get rid of the committee and go back to the computers. They can keep the playoff but the committee's methods of determining, what should be, the best 4 teams turns into "being fair", extremely inconsistent, and ever changing.
Take the bias out of it by letting the BCS computers pick the playoff teams.

That's the whole reason we trashed the BCS. Humans can be subjective.

deerfanatic

Yes,.we.do put those teams in the SEC and see if they are undefeated. Again that's just my opinion, if you believe FSU , Washington and Michigan are better than Alabama or Georgia because they are undefeated I respect that. I believe either of the SEC teams would beat them and none of them would be undefeated if they played a season in either SEC division.
Of course I don't believe they are better than Georgia or bama but I also know there's no way the ncaa can put 2 one loss sec teams in ahead of undefeated acc teams, big 10 teams or pac 12 teams and a 1 loss big 12 team who has the same record as your sec champ and coincidentally also beat said sec champ. They also can't put the runner up sec team above any of those either. Get real. As much as we'd like it to be the sec does not control and rule the whole ncaa.the other 117 teams and their conferences would revolt if we just locked them out of the playoffs just because we are sec.

LY

There will not be any way to eliminate the subjective aspect of selecting teams for the college football playoffs, unless they do something like the NFL or MLB does. All conference champions get in the playoffs plus a couple teams with best record using tiebreakers. Voting teams in is extremely biased.
The 12 team playoff will take care of most of it. There will be some complaining on rankings since that'll determine matchup's and any potential bye's. The only real complaining will be with teams #13-15 and while they may have legit arguments no team that low really has a chance anyway.

deerfanatic

Anybody know the makeup of the committee?

I could see folks on the committee from other conferences gleefully keeping an SEC team out of the playoffs. The way the SEC has dominated the playoffs I can see it happening. Add to the fact that this year they've actually got a good argument for doing so.
There's 13 members. The only one actively involved in sec athletics is Mitch Barnhart from
Kentucky. The rest are spread across the country. Boo Coorigan is the head of it and he's nc states ad. The sec doesn't have anywhere close to a majority pull on it. There's a former notre dame linebacker. A former Nebraska lineman. Kansas states ad. A Michigan ad and on and on.

deerfanatic

Yes,.I know , hopefully Louisville pulls it off as the ACC is not very good this year to begin with. FSU without their starting quarterback is nowhere near a top 4.team in the country but may survive because of the weak conference. Alabama or Georgia in my opinion would be dominant against FSU. If it's the 4 best teams in the country both Alabama and Georgia should be in. Again that's just my opinion, I am sure others would see it differently.
I don't disagree with them being too 4 but Washington ,Texas, and Michigan all have more than a strong case for saying they should be in. 2 of those are undefeated and 1 beat your sec champs and only has one loss their self. That's not even counting undefeated fsu or 1 loss Ohio state and on and on. That's why I said earlier you really can't put 2 sec teams in this year. One maybe and we might not even get that

BamaProud

I don't disagree with them being too 4 but Washington ,Texas, and Michigan all have more than a strong case for saying they should be in. 2 of those are undefeated and 1 beat your sec champs and only has one loss their self. That's not even counting undefeated fsu or 1 loss Ohio state and on and on. That's why I said earlier you really can't put 2 sec teams in this year. One maybe and we might not even get that

There is a higher chance the SEC gets 2 in now rather than zero. (But it will probably be 1 Bama).

prstide

They got it right every….single…..time. The polls have to be a certain part of the metric but not a leading figure in the formula. The BCS computers don't have any BS, almost political, bias to sway them.

deerfever

Of course I don't believe they are better than Georgia or bama but I also know there's no way the ncaa can put 2 one loss sec teams in ahead of undefeated acc teams, big 10 teams or pac 12 teams and a 1 loss big 12 team who has the same record as your sec champ and coincidentally also beat said sec champ. They also can't put the runner up sec team above any of those either. Get real. As much as we'd like it to be the sec does not control and rule the whole ncaa.the other 117 teams and their conferences would revolt if we just locked them out of the playoffs just because we are sec.
Again not arguing at all,.they both will not get in and possible neither get in because of what you are saying. I am just stating my opinion, both Georgia and Alabama in my opinion are in the top 4 in the country. I also believe Texas is top 4 right now as they are playing at a high level. Alabama is way better now than when Texas beat them week 2 as Milroe is so much improved . But yes the committee will do the " right" thing just like last year when they put TCU in who lost their conference championship in a close one. They only got beat 65 to 7 by Georgia. If FSU wins they will probably put them in, are they one of the best 4? I don't think so at all right now. I want to stress I am neither a Bama or Georgia fan just stating my opinion that I believe they are two of the best 4 teams in the country right now, I realize others will.disagree and I could be wrong they both may get blasted by FSU ,Michigan or Washington in a game. Also realizing the SEC will be lucky to get one team in much less two. I could see the committee putting in Washington, FSU , Michigan and Texas if FSU and Michigan win with the old they are undefeated and Texas beat Bama argument. The SEC should be represented by at least one team but I don't trust the committee at all..Go Iowa( down 10 to 0 to undefeated Michigan),.Go Louisville( down 3 to 0 to undefeated FSU team) Help clear it up. Alabama, Texas , Michigan and Washington will be the 4 if the SEC is represented with Bama winning today and being SEC champion. FSU win or lose is just not top 4 material right now undefeated or not.Watch.us all be surprised when somehow an idle Ohio State team sneaks in again ! Lol

deerfanatic

Again not arguing at all,.they both will not get in and possible neither get in because of what you are saying. I am just stating my opinion, both Georgia and Alabama in my opinion are in the top 4 in the country. I also believe Texas is top 4 right now as they are playing at a high level. Alabama is way better now than when Texas beat them week 2 as Milroe is so much improved . But yes the committee will do the " right" thing just like last year when they put TCU in who lost their conference championship in a close one. They only got beat 65 to 7 by Georgia. If FSU wins they will probably put them in, are they one of the best 4? I don't think so at all right now. I want to stress I am neither a Bama or Georgia fan just stating my opinion that I believe they are two of the best 4 teams in the country right now, I realize others will.disagree and I could be wrong they both may get blasted by FSU ,Michigan or Washington in a game. Also realizing the SEC will be lucky to get one team in much less two. I could see the committee putting in Washington, FSU , Michigan and Texas if FSU and Michigan win with the old they are undefeated and Texas beat Bama argument. The SEC should be represented by at least one team but I don't trust the committee at all..Go Iowa( down 10 to 0 to undefeated Michigan),.Go Louisville( down 3 to 0 to undefeated FSU team) Help clear it up. Alabama, Texas , Michigan and Washington will be the 4 if the SEC is represented with Bama winning today and being SEC champion. FSU win or lose is just not top 4 material right now undefeated or not.Watch.us all be surprised when somehow an idle Ohio State team sneaks in again ! Lol
Being devils advocate here (again I'm a sec homer) the sec actually has a losing record to the acc this year which fsu is gonna win in very ugly fashion. I think bama may sneak in. I think UGA is out. UGA was very beat up tonight and that hurt them in the game badly. I do think they at this point are 2 of the top 4. I think for the whole season then it's not so clear.
Also Michigan and Washington have punched their tickets . Very little if any debate about that. I'd bet that's a 98% chance those two are in. What we are debating is the other two spots. I'd just about be willing to bet Texas has one of those and it's hard to debate they shouldn't considering they beat the sec champ. That leaves one spot.

buckaroo

Being devils advocate here (again I'm a sec homer) the sec actually has a losing record to the acc this year which fsu is gonna win in very ugly fashion. I think bama may sneak in. I think UGA is out. UGA was very beat up tonight and that hurt them in the game badly. I do think they at this point are 2 of the top 4. I think for the whole season then it's not so clear.
Also Michigan and Washington have punched their tickets . Very little if any debate about that. I'd bet that's a 98% chance those two are in. What we are debating is the other two spots. I'd just about be willing to bet Texas has one of those and it's hard to debate they shouldn't considering they beat the sec champ. That leaves one spot.
How can they keep Fla St out?

deerfanatic

How can they keep Fla St out?
Because we have a 13 person committee and they have said they rank the top 4 teams based off of their own metrics which includes eye test and who they think are the best 4. They also said they will use loss of a player to injury against you in their rankings. Fsu lost Jordan Travis their starting qb a couple games ago and are a shell of their selves offensively. Basically a panel of 13 people are choosing the 4 teams who have a shot at this and just because you went undefeated and won your p5 conference you may not get in. They gave UT the orange bowl instead of sugar last year even though we had the same record as the team they gave the sugar too and we had the head to head win and beat the other team that beat them. One of the reasons they gave for ranking us behind them was the loss of our qb Hendon hooker.

Latest posts