Deer hunting in unit CWD and placing mineral rocks

tellico4x4

Currently, CWD "Management Zone" includes TWO counties east of the TN River. Hardin and Wayne. OP's restrictions apply in those counties as well.

View attachment 193996
I believe that Wayne & Hardin are in due to close proximity of a Lauderdale Co, AL deer. If you take those two out, it sure looks like TN River has slowed it down.

backyardtndeer

Believe you are correct about this, but . . . . .

I would not prohibit hunters/managers from doing it, if they so desire.

We have too many laws, either not based in science, or based in pseudo-science, or more often based on nothing but the person in charge wanting to be in control of other people, and most often using fear of the unknown as the rationale.

Currently, in the CWD zone, where only legal hunters are prohibited from placing salt licks,
not only do homeowners do whatever they desire in their backyards, but cattle farmers dot the landscape with salt licks.

Since it's either not illegal for them, or not an enforced law, I see no basis strong enough to warrant this being imposed on legal hunters. Worse, this is in an environment of increasing illegal poaching, under which TWRA has never before been so unable to enforce the poaching laws.

As some others have stated on other threads, CWD is to some game-agency leaders what Covid was to some government leaders --- a mechanism to force fear-based controls over other people.

But back to the salt, I see deer regularly visiting salt licks that were made decades ago, with no salt added in years. Old salt licks dot the landscape. Between this, cattle farmers & homeowners maintaining salt licks, what difference does it make that legal hunters can't?

Never mind the illegal hunters & poachers are running rampant with relative impunity (and still placing new salt licks).

Kinda like the gun laws are mainly just harming law-abiding people?
Completely agree with this.

Andy S.

I believe that Wayne & Hardin are in due to close proximity of a Lauderdale Co, AL deer. If you take those two out, it sure looks like TN River has slowed it down.
Yessir.

1694002402755.png

BSK

Amazing how smart deer are. Knowing not to dig in a hole they've dug in for decades.

I know of salt licks that were abandoned 15 years ago. They still digging in them.
I've seen that happen. But mine were abandoned by the deer 4 or 5 years after I stopped adding salt.

TheLBLman

But mine were abandoned by the deer 4 or 5 years after I stopped adding salt.
I'll bet you a dollar against a donut that all your deer did was begin using some different salt licks on your neighbors' properties. When other salt licks are being replenished, "your" deer may just prefer the fresher salt.

And if your neighbors were to stop replenishing their salt licks,
(which they won't as anyone who poaches over corn piles certainly won't stop putting out salt should that too become illegal),
the deer would simply become more congregated in using the salt licks put out for cattle.
Salt is salt.

AlabamaSwamper

I know of one that was on a hunting club I grew up in. It's been WMA now for 20 years. Talked to a guy that hunted with us a year or so ago. I mentioned that salt lick. It was huge. He said they still digging in it. He's been hunting the now Wma since they bought it and cut off access to 75% of it.

Antler Daddy

100 feet is @ 33 yds.
Drive around West TN, and I suspect you'll see most deer corn feeders
closer to 50 yds behind the homes.
("Bird" feeders are usually very close to homes.)

If these "wildlife" feeders are supposed to be no further than 100 ft from a home,
then there's apparently no enforcement of this supposed law.
Nothing gets done unless a photo is taken of it and submitted with an address to local officer and copy everyone else at the region office.

Flintlocksforme

Nothing gets done unless a photo is taken of it and submitted with an address to local officer and copy everyone else at the region office.
You are implying that you want someone with a feeder on their own land 50 yards from their back porch to get a fine. Seriously?

Flintlocksforme

Currently, CWD "Management Zone" includes TWO counties east of the TN River. Hardin and Wayne. OP's restrictions apply in those counties as well.

View attachment 193996
So after the new accusations that TWRA F'd with the CWD numbers and no new positive counties last year I don't see why Benton is now green. I have avoided hunting in counties that I can't travel from with a whole carcass but now I get the green light. Makes a lot of sense.

Latest posts