Second deer in Henry County has tested positive for CWD!

ROB

I heard last night that TWRA has had a second deer test positive for CWD in Henry County. Just this week, the first, less expensive test was positive. That test was repeated twice & was positive every time. So that there is complete transparency, KDFWR has formally requested the second, more accurate test be done on this deer. Deer hunters need to know the truth.

Antler Daddy

I heard last night that TWRA has had a second deer test positive for CWD in Henry County. Just this week, the first, less expensive test was positive. That test was repeated twice & was positive every time. So that there is complete transparency, KDFWR has formally requested the second, more accurate test be done on this deer. Deer hunters need to know the truth.
It's a shame KY has to ask them to also use the other more reliable test.

Lost Lake

Yes, where in Henry county?

mike243

Does KY want to pay for the xtra tests? reckon it will come out of our pockets as some are fond of saying lol

ROB

I found out this morning that the deer that recently tested positive was 17 miles south of the KY/TN state line, so in southern Henry County.

The first deer that tested positive was in the Cottage Grove area, about 8 miles south of the KY/TN state line.

KDFWR did offer to pay for the additional test on the deer that recently tested positive. I'm sure KDFWR would gladly pay for the confirmatory tests on all deer that test positive in counties that border KY, since KDFWR has spent between $3 & $4 million responding to the initial positive deer in Henry County from 2019, which some allege was never actually positive. I would think that all stake holders would want to know if these positives are true positives or false positives.

BTW, I also was told that the samples from the recently positive deer from Henry County have been sent for the second, confirmatory test.

mike243

I am sure that it was payed for by the federal funds that are gave or are supposed to be given to states with cwd, Ky at some point will be added to the list but maybe not for awhile as I hope the recent tests might be a fluke? time will tell

TheLBLman

Whatever the event or circumstance, I like to think "outside the box" about every aspect.
Even more so when aspects are contradictory, complex, and confusing.

Call me a conspiracy theorist it you like, but I'm wondering if promoting the downsizing of deer populations (because of the presumption of CWD) both empowers & enriches some doing so?

This could be the perfect "guise" for promoting a new government division of deer eradication services, promoting the idea that "sport" hunters cannot control the deer herds, and we must have this new government task force of sharpshooters to deal with the problem of too many deer?

Too often, government creates the problem, then insists only government can solve the problem, albeit the problem they created in the first place.

That said, I've never looked at TWRA as a typical government agency, always, and still do believe they are more an entity in between the People and the Government, at least relative to most government agencies.

The rank & file people at TWRA tend to be really great people, most of whom are honorable sportsmen just like most of you. As a percentage of personnel, perhaps no other government agency is comprised of so many people who actually hunt & fish as TWRA.

So I'm not bashing the TWRA (nor the KDFWR).
Just wondering about the thoughts of a bad apple or two who might be exploiting CWD issues.

ROB

I am sure that it was payed for by the federal funds that are gave or are supposed to be given to states with cwd, Ky at some point will be added to the list but maybe not for awhile as I hope the recent tests might be a fluke? time will tell
It's my understanding that those funds haven't been released yet. The total for those funds is $70 million. By the time those funds are released, each state will likely get around $2 million each. That may sound like a lot of money, and it would be to each of us as individuals, but it's not for a statewide program. As a point of comparison, The annual budget of TennCare for 2023-24 is $15.4 billion.

ROB

Rob, do you know how many deer have been doubly confirmed with CWD in West KY?
No, I don't. As I understand it, TWRA changed to protocol that most states used & that they had originally used, from an initial test &, if positive, a second confirmatory test to just doing the initial test alone. The second, confirmatory test is to catch false positives. So, from what I hear, the early positives were doubly confirmed but now positives are not doubly confirmed.

ROB

I heard around the Como/Cottage Grove area. Not to far from the last one
The first CWD positive deer was found near Cottage Grove, about 8 miles south of the KY/TN border, in 2019. The CWD positive deer found in Henry Co. this week was about 17 miles from the KY/TN state line, quite a distance from the first.

MUP

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's in other neighboring counties as well, that's the nature of a spreading disease. More than likely in several other counties that haven't been tested yet also. I'm waiting to hear of the "several county jump" when they find a positive case in mid or even East Tn now.

TheLBLman

The first CWD positive deer was found near Cottage Grove, about 8 miles south of the KY/TN border, in 2019. The CWD positive deer found in Henry Co. this week was about 17 miles from the KY/TN state line, quite a distance from the first.
So, in 4 yrs, no more positives near where the 1st was supposedly, but this one is found 9 miles from where the supposed 1st one was located?

Based on everything we've been told about the spread of CWD, this doesn't jive.

Latest posts